All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told you guys they would ship more than 2.5 million. This quarter was all about meeting demand and more so that there would never be a sold out situation again.

We could do with an analysis of sales trends. I feel like PS4:XB1 is growing, but we have so few data points that that's probably impossible to prove. If market share is diverging increasingly, that means a lot for the near future of these platforms.

More Bungie fans on XB willing to take a punt on a Bungie preorder?

PS4 version has been steady for months now, the beta and relatively recent announcement that XB1 version would be 1080P likely raised interest.

I'd have to see this trend hold for another month before I'd conclude anything other than the resolution boost and beta certainly helped market and reassure XB1 owners they'd have a good game this September and as such they are buying the game.

Exclusive context lacking IMO not a big deal, they have a good game to look forward to just Playstation owners.

The yearly outlook on page 10 of the results PDF includes this:
Games & network services
Sales are expected to be higher than the May forecast primarily due to the strong performance of the PS4.
Operating income is expected to be higher than the May forecast primarily due to PS4 hardware cost reductions.

Interesting Vita shopping story from GAF, with little numbers from Gamestop.

Anyway, I thought finding a Vita was going to be easy. I looked online and found a few but the prices weren't what I was looking for. I went to my local Target and they had nothing. My local gamestop had a used OLED version on sale but the screen had a huge scratch on it..and nothing else. The salesperson said maybe they would get a few in late August.

I went online again to see what stock was available at gamestops around the large metropolitan city I live in. Only 2 stores had them in stock, but that stock was really low. I quickly put one on hold and picked up my brand new Vita last night. While paying, the store the manager of the GameStop (fantastic person/salesman/experience btw) said this was the first Vita they had in stock in a very long time. They had gotten several phone calls that day asking for my Vita for themselves. He said the demand for Vita has exploded as of late and Sony can't seem to get them stock quick enough. 9000 units were sent out recently to the 4000 GameStop stores, giving only 2 to sell, and they aren't on the shelf for long.

It seems from countless stories that Sony is incredibly unprepared for the sudden jump of the demand from Vita. A lot of people have successfully saw the potential of Vita, lots of games, good PS+ offering, PS4 connectivity... but they can't buy it anywhere.

If Sony actually supplied the damn thing they could be selling ~50-75k a month in the US.
If anyone here wants a Vita I recommend importing one from Japan, sites like superufo.com have them in stock and at good prices(SuperUFO appears to be the cheapest).
(I bought my 32GB Vita memory card off them and had no issues).

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news for Sony... glad to see them getting back into stride. But yes, I can see them announcing PS4 worldwide sales numbers around Gamescom, or maybe after Destiny sales have settled. I wouldn't be surprise if PS4 worldwide sales are around 10.5-11 million by the end of September.

Great news for Sony... glad to see them getting back into stride. But yes, I can see them announcing PS4 worldwide sales numbers around Gamescom, or maybe after Destiny sales have settled. I wouldn't be surprise if PS4 worldwide sales are around 10.5-11 million by the end of September.

It will be way more. Last two quarters are always the strongest ones for console sales, and if Sony managed to ship 3.5M [PS4+PS3] in last quarter, they will have even larger successes in 2H of 2014. I can see them shipping ~3-4M PS4s in next quarter [bringing it to 12-13M range] and ~5-6M PS4s in last quarter [maybe approaching 20M shipped LTD WW by Dec 31].

Destiny effect is unknown. Game will sell a lot, but who knows how many new consoles will it move.

Random PS4 versus XBO vs Wii U software Amazon hourly spot check

#1 PS4 Last of Us Remastered
#6 PS4 Little Big Planet 3 (guessing recently listed, leading to it's current high ranking)

#7 Wii U Mario Kart 8
#10 XBO Destiny
#13 XBO COD AW Pro Edition

#15 PS4 COD AW Pro Edition
#16 PS4 Last of Us Remastered digital code (interesting)
#17 PS4 Destiny

#32 XBO BF4 (low price last few weeks)
#34 XBO COD Ghosts (ditto)

#43 Wii U Super Mario 3D World
#47 Halo: MCC
#55 PS4 AC Unity
#61 PS4 Diablo 3

#63 XBO Titanfall
#64 XBO AC IV (low price)

#72 PS4 Watch Dogs
#76 PS4 Fifa 14
#78 PS4 COD AW Limited Edition
#84 PS4 MLB The Show

#93 XBO AC Unity
#94 PS4 AC IV
#97 XBO COD AW Limited Edition
#98 PS4 Wolfenstein
#99 PS4 COD Ghosts

Hope I didn't miss any! Especially may miss Wii U titles.

Got to respect the staying power of MK8. It released about a week after Watch Dogs, but is staying up top while Watch Dogs falls quickly. What's crazy is that there are still quite a few Wii games in the top 100. New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Just Dance, and Smash Bros all still in there, and running mid pack no less.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony...cut_the_costs_of_ps4_hardware_production.html
Sony has already managed to reduce the manufacturing costs associated with PS4 hardware, the company has revealed.

The cuts have allowed Sony to revise its financial expectations, increasing its projected FY2015 operating income for its Games & Network Services division from 20bn yen to 25bn yen.

Sony said in its latest earnings report. "Operating income is expected to be higher than the May forecast primarily due to PS4 hardware cost reductions."
5bn yen increase isn't huge, but it suggests they managed to reduce the BOM faster than their own estimates. Hardware is now definitely profitable.

I think activision will throw a couple of $100.000.000,00 into the marketing budget, but being cross-generation... who knows?

Next quarter is Destiny quarter [with few other notable games], and that game will move a lot of consoles. Also traditionally, Q3 is always stronger in shipments than Q2.

Yes for Sony. Typically Sony's Q3 is relatively stronger than MS's, and MS's Q4 is relatively stronger than Sony's. My guess was always that Sony starts shipping for holidays maybe a month or so earlier than MS. If they do that in September instead of October, it'll shift shipments. In fact I used to be determined that Sony must be cooking the books some years ago, because I hadn't yet realized they do have a strong Q3 and relatively weaker Q4 :p I would just look at Q3 shipments vs sales and jump to conclusions.

If you look at NPD end user sales though, PS4 is no longer selling like hotcakes. The trend will push it below Wii and PS2 rates after a historic start soon enough. It is arguably the only current gen console selling healthily though, which is kind of scary for the industry (all of 360, PS3, Vita, 3DS, and One can be argued to be failing consoles to some degree or another)

npd_home_201406zxql1.png

It will be way more. Last two quarters are always the strongest ones for console sales, and if Sony managed to ship 3.5M [PS4+PS3] in last quarter, they will have even larger successes in 2H of 2014. I can see them shipping ~3-4M PS4s in next quarter [bringing it to 12-13M range] and ~5-6M PS4s in last quarter [maybe approaching 20M shipped LTD WW by Dec 31].

Destiny effect is unknown. Game will sell a lot, but who knows how many new consoles will it move.

Hmm, not sure how we determine PS4 shipments when they are mixed with PS3. I trust myself to make good estimates for PS3 based on historic rates and NPD, but not many others :p

http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony...cut_the_costs_of_ps4_hardware_production.html
5bn yen increase isn't huge, but it suggests they managed to reduce the BOM faster than their own estimates. Hardware is now definitely profitable.

Yeah, that's why I said Cerny knocked it out of the park. Not sure we can conclude PS4 hardware is profitable on this evidence, but it probably is, and we can conclude it's not a big drag on the bottom line (noticeable going back to last year). Good old American engineering :D

Remember PS2 and the Wii came out at 299$ and 249$ respectively. PS4 and XBO are beating that at higher price (33% higher to be exact :LOL:).

If you look at NPD end user sales though, PS4 is no longer selling like hotcakes. The trend will push it below Wii and PS2 rates after a historic start soon enough.
If you look at the chart, you'll see the trajectories (not trends) change at points.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 doesn't top the Wii. That thing was novel in a way that appealed to people who were never traditionally into games (my aunt has one, lol!) but liked Wii Sports then never bought another Wii game, or the PS2 which of course was as much in demand as a DVD player as a games console. The PS4 has neither of these driving sales.

But let's give both consoles a full year and revisit at the end of November. We're in the annual dry period for games, which begins to end in about 4 weeks: Infamous Last Light. Metro Redux. Destiny. Walking Dead. Shadows of Mordor. Alien Isolation. DriveClub. COD Advanced Warfare. The Crew. Far Cry 4. Dragon Age. Sleeping Dogs.

That brings us to holidays 2014.

If you look at NPD end user sales though, PS4 is no longer selling like hotcakes. The trend will push it below Wii and PS2 rates after a historic start soon enough.

npd_home_201406zxql1.png

Funnily enough, last month PS4 sales trajectory (between 7 and 8) is almost exactly the trajectory of PS2 sales at the same comparative time.

Basically what DSoup said.

@Jayco You can't compare those prices. You have to take into account the inflation. The launch PS2 had in fact a ~395$ price if you adjust it for inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back