All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if they expected this to be any higher, but it's unsurprising considering they're still selling both physical and digital version for the same price. The additional convenience isn't worth the loss of value for 85-90% of gamers.

Admittedly I don't have a dog in this fight (I'll never buy a AAA game in digital), but I think if they want more people to move to digital they'll have to offer a rebate to compensate. Amazon is shipping these games to your door for free on the day of release, and you can sell them used very quickly if you didn't like it, or if it doesn't measure up to reviews, or after you finished it and it lacks replay value, or ownership value. Seriously, the same price seems very unfair.

Actually to me "initially" is the only place digital pricing makes sense. On launch day it's 59.99 everywhere. At that point you're just trading convenience of digital versus trade in ability/loan ability of disc. And I dont think that's such a clear win for disc, I think it's more a matter of preference. Where digital is really weak is how the prices STAY high for way way way too long. I was just able to pick up COD Ghosts XOne for $6 on disc. $6! It's 59.99 on XBO store. Granted I got a sale but it's been $20 on Amazon for weeks.

The thing is Steam (which I can look to as a mature ecosystem, arguably where consoles may end up at one day) isn't foolproof either. Yes it has lots of wild sales on indies and older stuff, but new games stick to that MSRP for a long long time on steam too.

15% its quite ridiculous.
No mystery that they prefers to sell those DD copies for €69 instead than for €55.

Correct Thread

Disappearing Act: Xbox Sales Plummet While Microsoft's Other Devices Continue To Struggle

The worst among them, though, was the Xbox division where the rapid deterioration of Microsoft’s console business may lead to another round of calls to spin the division off.

That said, Microsoft can’t hide the fact that sales have been so tepid in 2014, it’s been working through channel inventory and manufacturing barely any new consoles. Consider these stats: In the prior quarter, Microsoft reported 2 million console sales of which 1.2 million were the Xbox One. That means the company was moving about 800,000 Xbox 360s just three months ago.

If we assume that the 360 is selling similarly at this point, then this quarter’s 1.1 million consoles likely consisted of just 300,000 Xbox Ones. To get a sense of how terrible that is, it’s as bad as Nintendo’s Wii U results for the quarter that ended in May.

Now, before anyone asks: How can Microsoft sell nearly 200,000 Xbox Ones in the U.S. in June alone if it shipped 300,000 worldwide for the entire quarter? The answer is that the channel has been sitting on too many consoles for and it’s now working through that backlog.

Confused Journo said:
In the prior quarter, Microsoft reported 2 million console sales of which 1.2 million were the Xbox One. That means the company was moving about 800,000 Xbox 360s just three months ago. If we assume that the 360 is selling similarly at this point,
Why? Why isn't it a uniform reduction on console sales, and so 400k XB360s sold and 600k XB1s?

Why? Why isn't it a uniform reduction on console sales, and so 400k XB360s sold and 600k XB1s?

I think he is factoring in that the XB1 had a sharper decrease (May – as an example) in sales compared to XB360… assumption being that the XB360 sales stayed relatively the same as in the prior quarter. My guess….

In the prior quarter, Microsoft reported 2 million console sales of which 1.2 million were the Xbox One. That means the company was moving about 800,000 Xbox 360s just three months ago. If we assume that the 360 is selling similarly at this point,

Well for Jan-March 273k 360's sold in NPD. In Apr-Jun it was 190k.

So that was a substantial reduction, for one part of the puzzle.

Last quarter just saw an oddly high ratio of 360 shipments to USA sales 800:273 or 2.93:1 We don't know this quarter but lifetime it's right at 2:1. Which would be about 400 k ish for this quarter hence why I threw that out. But it can vary a lot any given quarter.

Xbox One quarterly NPD fell from 710K to 389k.

So I guess for both combined ratio is holding pretty steady. 2000k:983k last quarter and 1100k:579k this quarter

May had the $399 announcement, so the XB1 should decrease more.

But June had the launch of the Kinectless SKU in 13 or something countries. It's hard to make out what the net effect of that would have been, but I'm inclined to think it boosts XB1 shipments, because launching a new SKU does require quite a bit of units, however the previously mentioned inventory drawdown could mean that the Kinectless version was pretty much all the XB1s they shipped during that quarter...

Hmm I see it for $449 but it's from a reseller and only 1 remaining.

The stock seems to change constantly. Its got to be more than whats stated as I saw one left initially but its moving up the charts to currently #84 and its price (as I am offered) at $424.14 with 9 left in stock.

They are priced at $399.19 for Xbox One and Kinect, if you search directly within Amazon Warehouse.

However, I think they are refurbished units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go Rangers. Time to start using Facebook now...

console-map.jpg

xbox-map.jpg

ps4-map.jpg

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/20/p...-state-by-state-breakdown-of-the-console-war/

Tommy McClain

The stock seems to change constantly. Its got to be more than whats stated as I saw one left initially but its moving up the charts to currently #84 and its price (as I am offered) at $424.14 with 9 left in stock.

They are priced at $399.19 for Xbox One and Kinect, if you search directly within Amazon Warehouse.

However, I think they are refurbished units.

Not sure whats going but Xbox One with Kinect has been only available from "other sellers" for a day or two now I think. Link here http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One/dp/B00KAI3KW2/ref=zg_bs_videogames_39

The dumb thing is the Xbox One with Kinect and free Forza 5, has been consistently ranked lower, despite both normally costing the same 499.

Maybe when you looked it was on sale from a third party seller. I kind of think if a seller undercuts Amazon's prices enough Amazon will let them take over the product page.
NY, CA, and TX are Xbox states, yet PS4 outsells XB1 in the US by >1.5:1? Yeah I'm sure those are representative of those states. /s

Lifetime it's more like what, 1.2:1? Last month 1.35:1

Those statistics appear completely inaccurate, and the method used to gather the data was not divulged. It is likely they have not isolated current gen preferences from brand interest last gen.

Lifetime it's more like what, 1.2:1? Last month 1.35:1
May was negatively affected by the kinectless SKU and June was high due to pent-up demand. If you take the last 3 months, it's over 1.7. The PS4 has been outselling the XB1 by nearly 1.5:1 in 2014.

We'll see how sales carry over to July for XB1. My guess is that it will be back to 1.5:1+.

NY, CA, and TX are Xbox states, yet PS4 outsells XB1 in the US by >1.5:1? Yeah I'm sure those are representative of those states. /s
It's relative numbers. XB1 may be more popular than PS4 in NY on FB, but that might be by 1,000,000 people, or 1 person. Look at the other two maps - NY is "I got console day one" for both machines.

There's certainly little accuracy in these data points, but it just an interesting look, I think. In this age of information technology, why not?

I think Nintendo fiscal results are tonight. So we'll get some new Wii U shipment numbers at least. Ironically Nintendo results may easily be the most detailed now.

Sony usually takes the longest. Another week or two I assume.

Also, can anybody else check and see if they can add more than one PS4 to their cart on Amazon USA? I cannot for the last few days, which negates the 999 trick. It also means even if I wanted to buy two PS4's on Amazon, I couldn't. Which is weird, since stock seemingly is fine not sure why Amazon would want to prevent anybody from buying as many as they want.

Xbox One is still behaving weirdly at Amazon too. Seems to be available from other sellers (than Amazon) frequently lately, which I assume will hurt it's ranking (people seem to prefer buying from Amazon direct). I am not sure why that happens. Maybe because they are offering slight discounts? (for example, $395)

They seem to be limiting one PS4 per customer for some reason. Maybe they're a bit concerned about remaining stock until the next shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back