All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
shipment numbers
2013-Q3 xbox360 : 79.4 million
2013-Q3 ps3 : 83.5 million (includes 4 quarters of ps2 numbers)

aha I hear you say but sony were including ps2 numbers with the ps3 numbers for the last 4 quarters until the ps2 got discontinued start 2013.
thus we dont know the last 4 quarters on this graph here
ps2 shipment numbers
for the ps3 to have shipped > 4 million less (thus 83.5-4million = 79.5million same as xb360) means you're saying the ps2 was actually growing at the end of its cycle? Very unlikely it was shipping >a million per quarter.
In its christmas quarter 2011 it only shipped 0.9 million (christmas normally is the biggest quarter)

Sigh, not this again.

Anyways, you dont have to do all these complicated things, just look at the dates on these articles

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/17/xbox-360-80-million-sold-and-counting

http://us.playstation.com/corporate...3-sales-reach-80-million-units-worldwide.html

360 beat PS3 to 80 million by ~3 weeks. Mind you this was well past when people already said PS3 was ahead.

3 weeks of shipments at the holiday season is likely at least over 1 million consoles perhaps.

First quarter of 2014, well Ms announced 800k 360, and Sony shipped 700k or less PS3 (3.7 million total playstation, but they sold 3 million PS4's in that period). So, nothing to make up the gap there, and in fact more evidence of a ongoing 360 sales lead.

For your PS2 thing, yes it's possible they shipped a lot of PS2's at the end, since they knew they would never make any more.

If you think the opposite, then you'll have to say PS3 was selling better YoY for that period, except that in every territory with recorded sales (NPD, Media Create, probably Nintendo EU graphs for that matter) it was selling significantly worse YoY. Like 25+% worse As you would expect, this late in a gen, and as 360 did). So you'll have to say "recorded sales everywhere we get them were way down, but Sony magically shipped significantly more PS3's in that period than the year prior"

So you end up with two possibilities: PS2 shipping suddenly more, or PS3 shipping suddenly more, in the time period in question. Given we have recorded PS3 sales and they are not just down but way down for that period in any major market we have them, the latter is almost impossible. Whereas the former, as noted, besides being the only real possibility, at least has a plausible explanation.

Then some have fallen back to "but emerging markets! That's why PS3 was up even though it was way down everywhere we could measure" or something. But then you'd have to justify why these emerging markets burgeoning sales never seemed to appear before or since for PS3.

The bottom line is thanks to Sony we wont know, but the evidence is pretty overwhelming. If PS3 ever beats 360 to a particular milestone, announced by Sony and Ms like 80 million was, then I'll "admit" PS3 is ahead. Of course if Sony is smart they never will so they can obfuscate that they're behind. I was very surprised they announced 80 million! It just gave us proof they were behind.

TLOU Remaster has jumped on Amazon rankings after its price fell from $60 to $50 [France/Spanish amazon 50€, UK amazon 37pounds, German amazon 69€ :D ]

Sony confirms that they still have shipment problems in Europe and users who are still on long preorders. They are close to normalization, but expect that they have lost few sales because of the shortages.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-demand-still-outstripping-supplies-in-europe/0134301

I can confirm that in the Netherlands the PS4 is still sold out pretty much everywhere, but the other day my colleague came across three, he bought one, told a friend and the friend canvelled his preorder and told him to get another. By then a other one had been sold so this was the last one again.

In contrast I saw five Xbox Ones in store one or two months ago and it hadn't even been officially released yet, they were imported from Germany.

Even PSN has reduced TLOU Remaster price to $50.

On amazon, game is still #1 in US and has even jumped to #1 in the UK.
I bet most of these copies are going to 360 owners who made the switch to Playstation; Other developers need to take note, $50 is the price consumers are willing to pay for a high quality remaster of a high quality game, Rockstar I'm looking at you.

I bet most of these copies are going to 360 owners who made the switch to Playstation; Other developers need to take note, $50 is the price consumers are willing to pay for a high quality remaster of a high quality game, Rockstar I'm looking at you.
Actually, you can't necessarily tell that from this response. Rankings aren't an indicator of total sales. 100,000 copies at $60 with $30 profit a disk is better than 140,000 copies at $50 with $20 profit a piece. If the Amazon sales difference is 2,000 @ $40 versus 2,300 @ $50 with 300 units being the different between 1st and 8th place, the higher price with lower sales is definitely the better business choice.

Not necessarily. There are around 80M ps3 owners and only 6M copies of TLOU sold. I never bought it and I will in PS4. Many others will just because of the endless hype and awards the game received.

Rankings ARE indicator of sales.
Yes, but not total sales. A ranking on Amazon doesn't point to a particular final sell-through. The ranking depends on relative popularity with whatever else is selling. The #1 rank could represent 100 units or 10,000 units. Similarly, a third place one month could see three times the sales as the first place another month (unless someone has some awesome stats that prove otherwise!).

I was thinking about the adoption figures released by Sony:

Some 31% of people who have bought a PlayStation 4 had an Xbox 360 or Wii but not a PS3 in the last hardware generation...

and then the Yusuf Mehdi comment entered my mind:

People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3...

When you combine those two statements it seems that Mehdi's viewpoint, if not seriously massaged by PR, is showing a muddied view of the previous gen market.

It would seem that PS3 owners are more content with their console and are holding back on buying a PS4 whilst XB360 are, in fact less content, and are far more willing to jump ship to the opposition.

It would seem that PS3 owners are more content with their console and are holding back on buying a PS4 whilst XB360 are, in fact less content, and are far more willing to jump ship to the opposition.
Not really. 69% are PS3 owners upgrading generation. < 31% are XB360 owners upgrading generation. Take 1/4 of PS4's numbers, add them to XB1 numbers, you probably have about the same amount of XB360 owners upgrading as PS3 owners, maybe slightly less (especially as you need to assume 100% XB1 owners were XB360 owners).

A bunch of post NPD tidbits from Aquamarine

1) Watch_Dogs = 1.3 million units sold, close to 20% of total software units and close to 30% of total software revenues...more than than the majority of the Top 10 combined.

2) Ubisoft had a ridiculous 31% marketshare of total publisher revenues

3) XBO + PS4 = 43% of software sales in May

4) New releases = 50% of revenue this month, first May in DECADES that it's been so high

5) This is the very first month where PS4 software > PS3 software

6) First month in quite a while where Nintendo has YOY console software growth...for example, an unprecedented 57% of Nintendo 1st-party software sales came from the Wii U

7) Total industry = +52% YOY in May
$586 million

8) Total hardware ecosystem = +95% YOY in May
$187 million

9) Total software ecosystem (excluding PC) = +57% YOY in May
$274 million

10) Total software ecosystem (including PC)
$284 million

11) Total console software ecosystem = +74% YOY in May
$247 million

12) Sony console software ecosystem = +145% YOY in May
(47% marketshare)

13) Microsoft console software ecosystem = +36% YOY in May
(39% marketshare)

14) Nintendo console software ecosystem = +52% YOY in May
(14% marketshare)

6 million PS4+X1 consoles is already 43% of software revenue (should be much higher if we include hardware revenue, of which they are the majority)...

The YoY comparison look good, but I think it's only because 2013 was very very weak as old gen systems really declined fast.

We are definitely seeing the transition take place. I think this also brings to light the fact that just because the PS3 and 360 have a huge install base (somewhat inflated due to high failure rates of the early models), something like 160 million units sold, doesn't mean the active gamer community is anywhere near that large, and even last year, was likely a made up of a small fraction of that 160 install base. All three new consoles combined only account for about 18 million units, and they are already accounting for over 50% of the software sales tells me there is, and has been for a while, lots of last gen consoles collecting dust. This in my opinion signals a sign that the videogame console market didn't really expand last generation as much as some people seemed to believe. A lot of people come and go, and I think we are seeing the majority of the "core" gamer market switching relatively quickly, but the idea that these new consoles, even the PS4 are a shoe in to sell a 100 million units because of the "market expansion" last gen is a fallacy.

The 360 and PS3 benefited from a very long lifecycle, one that I cant see these new consoles enjoying. We have new young gamers getting their first console every day, but at the same time we also have just as many adults slipping out of the market due to lack of time and other responsibilities that adults get to enjoy. To be young again. LOL

It's kind of disturbing to me that the vibrant core is so relatively few active gamers. The fact 6 million X1/PS4 can compares to ~57 million PS3/360 (USA numbers) already is proof.

OTOH I saw a headline that the top most used netflix machine is consoles (so, better than tablets, DVD players, Roku etc). Things like that strike me as very positive for the prospects of consoles.

...but at the same time we also have just as many adults slipping out of the market due to lack of time and other responsibilities that adults get to enjoy. To be young again. LOL

This is why you dont see brand loyalty carry over generations. A new set of younger gamers reset the cycle. Software is still king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back