All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it did not so its job, hence the price reductions and bundling. MS should not need to take $50 off the console in its two largest markets and bundle its biggest title if the standalone game sold the console for them at MSRP. The bundle alone did not set charts on file, TF bundle was languishing out of the top ten on Amazon for weeks before the $50 deal pushed it a few spots lower.

What MS really wanted was everyone to buy a $500 XB1 and while they bought their $60 TF game. That's a $560 purchase, not a $450 purchase. Sony meanwhile is selling plenty of Infamous bundles in the EU, but they are more than the standalone PS4, not less.

Currently at Amazon for March. (TF bundle at #12).

In the UK, where the $50 drop is official, the TF bundle is #30 while the PS4 is at #19 (non-bundle) and #13 (Infamous) for March. Infamous bundle has been out for five days and is the top selling console for March. The infamous bundle also cost 30 pounds more than the TF bundle.

I guess maybe. Ok, TF combined with targeted price reductions seemed to do the job.

Amazon...it's nice but for example, February PS4 was #3 and XO was #23. That suggests to me I dont know, PS4 selling 3 or 4 times better. But the final NPD numbers they nearly sold the same hardware for February.

So it can easily be for example, #1 vs #12 means that TF bundle is outselling PS4 nationwide.

In Jan they were actually closer on Amzn. PS4 was #3 and XO was #16 IIRC. Yet that month PS4 won NPD much more handily.

In short, dont know. But it feels clear there's some level of Sony sway on the Amazon charts, even in any country.

Your post makes me reconsider from "XO will dominate March NPD" to, thinking it's more a tossup again though.

I think XB1 is doing better than amazon's rankings indicate. They matched BB/Walmart's promotion with a code, but it's not the same. Gamestop and Bestbuy also have the PS4 ahead, but I think it will be close and I'm actually leaning towards the XB1 edging out the PS4 this month, with all of the discounts and bundles etc. The PS4 isn't available everywhere, and availability was only decent mid-late March. I think the XB1 was comfortably ahead early March, but the PS4 is making a comeback in these latter weeks but will come up a bit short. I won't be surprised either way, but I'll be more surprised if the PS4 wins. I think it will comfortably win the next few months, and possibly the rest of the year, pending an official price cut from MS.

Infamous passed Titanfall for sales in March at amazon, but I still believe Titanfall will comfortably outsell Infamous in the US, but both will do very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess maybe. Ok, TF combined with targeted price reductions seemed to do the job.

Amazon...it's nice but for example, February PS4 was #3 and XO was #23. That suggests to me I dont know, PS4 selling 3 or 4 times better. But the final NPD numbers they nearly sold the same hardware for February.

So it can easily be for example, #1 vs #12 means that TF bundle is outselling PS4 nationwide.

In Jan they were actually closer on Amzn. PS4 was #3 and XO was #16 IIRC. Yet that month PS4 won NPD much more handily.

In short, dont know. But it feels clear there's some level of Sony sway on the Amazon charts, even in any country.

Your post makes me reconsider from "XO will dominate March NPD" to, thinking it's more a tossup again though.

Firstly, I was not making a statement about total sales or Amazon's relavence, but we only have so many sources. You made the claim TF "did its job", I gave evidence to the contrary. My evidence was to show that MS certainly did not have confidence in TF selling the $500 stand alone XB1. If they did they would not have given all that money away. Even so, the bundle and price reduction did not set the charts on fire.

If they are going to win one month this year, March is it. Not beating a supply constrained MSRP PS4 with a discounted bundle with their best selling game would be sad if not catastrophic.

For completeness:

Naamloos.png

VGchartz is considered worthless...

Saw last month they were 100k off on Xbox One NPD. Even after all this time they're no better than guessing.

Wall Steet journal guy is live tweeing some Gamestop thing. Couple interesting blurbs

$GME says it has already sold more Xbox One and PS4 units than it did in first 15 months of XB360 and PS3

$GME says greater-than-expected supply of Xbox One and PS4 caused the decline in XB360/PS3 hardware/software. Do you agree?

$GME says hardware sales were higher than expected over the holidays, but software sales were lower. Basically what $EA and NPD said too

$GME says Titanfall well received. 4x more pre-orders on Xbox One than Xbox 360. In fact, every next-gen game has so far beat expectations
$GME says demand for PS4 internationally still higher than supply.

Wall Steet journal guy is live tweeing some Gamestop thing. Couple interesting blurbs
$GME says demand for PS4 internationally still higher than supply.
Unless Sony are shipping them all to Europe, this remains a confusion to me. What's seen in Japan and NA is but a third to 1/4 of the reported manufacturing rate. :???:

Saw last month they were 100k off on Xbox One NPD. Even after all this time they're no better than guessing.

I thought NPD was based on estimates as well? I thought VGchartz used some retailers numbers to come up with an estimate. We typically only get the 100% factual numbers during quarterly and end of fiscal year statements. Im just hoping Nintendo can reach its 2.9 million Wii U 2013 fiscal year goal, its bad enough that they had to reduce the goal by so much, but coming up short of that goal would be salt in the wound.

Amazon UK hourly charts:
PS4 #2
PS4 AC4 #33
XB1 TF #35

I don't understand the discrepancy online in the UK.

Can be a case of XB1 being more readily available across retail so the distribution of retail sales are more evenly spread out between retailers.

With the PS4 being sporadic in availablity and Amazon seeming to be the best place to acquire a PS4, PS4 consumers might be migrating to Amazon narrowing the spread of sales among retailers.

The same thing seems to be happening in the US as the Amazon sales chart doesn't naturally correlate with the sales estimates derived from NPD.

They are... however, their percentages are better/closer to actual sales, because they have more reliable retailers on gathering data.

Plus, trackers like NPD gain legitimacy through the use of their numbers in PR statements from the manufacturers. Hard to dispute or see something wrong with NPD numbers when MS, Sony and Nintendo regularly use NPD numbers in PR releases that coincide with publishing of NPD reports.

When we start seeing MS, Nintendo and Sony using vgchartz weekly numbers may be the general opinion here on b3d will change.

This is not entirely true, I would not recommend using them for last months data but >6 month old data should be pretty good bc they go back and adjust their figures.

This is not entirely true, I would not recommend using them for last months data but >6 month old data should be pretty good bc they go back and adjust their figures.

Maybe for US or Japan's numbers. But other than that there is really no opportunity to readjust numbers accurately.

We get quarterly shipments but how do you accurately allocate between Europe and outside regions which VgChartz doesn't cover like Asia, ME and South America?

NPD gets real numbers from all major online and retail stores because they pay them. They only have to estimate small portion

Yup. It used to be something around ~60% of the market NPD had access too, but they had to extrapolate Wal Mart, which was a biggie. Even then they were extremely sophisticated about that, using panels of Wal Mart consumers. They estimate sales for a lot more than video games.

But some time ago NPD got access to Wal Mart data again, so at this point AFAIK there's very little error margin in their numbers at all.

Chartz OTOH is just some guy (Brett Walton/ioi), and nowdays probably just "staff", more or less, lol. He does not have legitimate access to any numbers. I know because a few years ago when I mentioned working in retail on their forums, I received a PM from an admin asking if I could provide any sales data. Such tactics are obviously illegal among other things.

The idea that somehow you could decently estimate sales from non-direct methods, for example, online leader boards (for software sales), achievements, historic knowledge of different markets/market share, so forth and so on, along with a smattering of (technically illegal) retail sampling, which is what vgchartz purports to do, seemed to me to be a little promising. However years later, Vgchartz before the fact NPD numbers are still basically no more accurate than guessing.

Maybe for US or Japan's numbers. But other than that there is really no opportunity to readjust numbers accurately.

We get quarterly shipments but how do you accurately allocate between Europe and outside regions which VgChartz doesn't cover like Asia, ME and South America?

At least for some markets, like maybe UK, France, Germany, you do get occasional sales reports (thinking mostly of hardware here) in a reputable newspaper or the like. And I checked one time, Chartz does retrofit their EU numbers, because the reports match their numbers pretty closely at least I think it was France I checked once.

But your point is still valid, for any given non US/Japan market there's no telling how accurate their past data are.

Yup. It used to be something around ~60% of the market NPD had access too, but they had to extrapolate Wal Mart, which was a biggie. Even then they were extremely sophisticated about that, using panels of Wal Mart consumers. They estimate sales for a lot more than video games.

But some time ago NPD got access to Wal Mart data again, so at this point AFAIK there's very little error margin in their numbers at all.

Chartz OTOH is just some guy (Brett Walton/ioi), and nowdays probably just "staff", more or less, lol. He does not have legitimate access to any numbers. I know because a few years ago when I mentioned working in retail on their forums, I received a PM from an admin asking if I could provide any sales data. Such tactics are obviously illegal among other things.

The idea that somehow you could decently estimate sales from non-direct methods, for example, online leader boards (for software sales), achievements, historic knowledge of different markets/market share, so forth and so on, along with a smattering of (technically illegal) retail sampling, which is what vgchartz purports to do, seemed to me to be a little promising. However years later, Vgchartz before the fact NPD numbers are still basically no more accurate than guessing.

At least for some markets, like maybe UK, France, Germany, you do get occasional sales reports (thinking mostly of hardware here) in a reputable newspaper or the like. And I checked one time, Chartz does retrofit their EU numbers, because the reports match their numbers pretty closely at least I think it was France I checked once.

But your point is still valid, for any given non US/Japan market there's no telling how accurate their past data are.

The same way you were asked for data others have been asked and its reasonable to think that some are talking to them.

Even Patcher has covered this a while back, nothing wrong with using them for historical data, just don't expect last month's numbers to be accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back