All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rankings don't tell you how many units a system sold. I really love the logic that a few days of beta is a system seller, but the bundle isn't. Spin baby spin.

So people playing the beta on their friend's console won't sell a game, but marketing will? Word of mouth is the most powerful seller of games and consoles.

Titanfall bundle wouldn't have effected Feb sales though, which is what these are. That should effect March.

I think it's tax returns, no real other explanation. Those dont exist in January, and I see nothing else that would have really moved the needle.
When do Americans do their taxes? Most Canadians do them in March.

February is usually a bit higher than January, but I agree with DrJay24 and that the beta was at least part of the reason the XB1 got a bump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see that XBOX1 isn't totally lost.

How is it, did Microsoft do the free titan in the USA as well, was it limited? Pre-order? Is it still valid?

Nevermind it's still valid.. Well it shows that a free game always help, and in this case it's extremely hyped and most have game for the XBOX1 owners. So it's like a $60 dollar price reduction.

Don't say that games doesn't move boxes.. great job by Microsoft

The Titanfall bundle is still going. If you don't get it then you can still get Forza 5 free. So yes, it's basically a $60 price drop here in the US. BTW, on Amazon the Forza 5 bundle is basically $0.04 more than the Titanfall bundle. :D

I like free games as much as the next guy, but I'd still rather have a $400 SKU & pick whatever game I want instead. Don't play racing games & although Titanfall looks good I rather have story mode game in either single player or co-op. I might pull the trigger once Xbox One & Arkham Knight are $460 or less. Otherwise I'm waiting for the next Halo or Red Dead.

Tommy McClain

When do Americans do their taxes? We Canadians do them in March.

Federal Income Taxes can be sent in Feb 1 the earliest I believe since employers are required to send your W-2(report of wages & taxes withheld for the previous year) no later than January 31. They can't process refunds until after then. They are due no later than April 15 unless you file for an extension. This is why you see a lot of big ticket items(cars, electronics, appliances) purchased in February.

Tommy McClain

Yup.

It seems the XB1 Titanfall bundle dropped to 10th place, Titanfall XB1 game dropped to 6, while Infamous: Second Son has risen to 7th place. I’m thinking Titanfall legs are getting tired already – with Amazon anyhow.

PS4 is still number 1 and Infamous: Second Son has taken over Titanfall place on Amazon. Titanfall game and bundle is falling quick... mudslide quick. :oops:

I guess all the hardcore XB1 owners purchased their copy and the XB1 fence sitters purchased the bundle. Time to work on the casual gamers... especially female gamers.

PS4 is still number 1 and Infamous: Second Son has taken over Titanfall place on Amazon. Titanfall game and bundle is falling quick... mudslide quick. :oops:

wtf is with the mock shock bs?

Games do a huge portion of their sales on day 1 (or even before in Amazon's case). Are you going to do this again a week after infamous is out and it falls?

Titanfall bundle wouldn't have effected Feb sales though, which is what these are. That should effect March.

I think it's tax returns, no real other explanation. Those dont exist in January, and I see nothing else that would have really moved the needle.
Even if it didn't effect Feb sales, the PS4 is still ahead, with the WiiU falling behind the PS4 and Xbox One very close to match WiiU's sales. Still, the Xbox One is the market's leader and leads the hardware sales on a dollar basis.

http://www.totalxbox.com/73236/xbox-one-is-highest-revenue-console-in-america-for-february/

The Titanfall bundle is still going. If you don't get it then you can still get Forza 5 free. So yes, it's basically a $60 price drop here in the US. BTW, on Amazon the Forza 5 bundle is basically $0.04 more than the Titanfall bundle. :D

I like free games as much as the next guy, but I'd still rather have a $400 SKU & pick whatever game I want instead. Don't play racing games & although Titanfall looks good I rather have story mode game in either single player or co-op. I might pull the trigger once Xbox One & Arkham Knight are $460 or less. Otherwise I'm waiting for the next Halo or Red Dead.

Tommy McClain

Microsoft "loss" on the Titanfall bundle is offset by the Live requirement, there is a real possibility of getting people online and paying customers with the Titanfall bundle.

First we had consoles that had to earn back the investment themselves, then we had consoles that needed the games to earn back the money, now we have online fees earning back the loss on consoles and games :)

There is a Campaign, but it's done online, and it's 2 hours tops for each side (IMC/Militia) and it's basically online gaming with voiceover (those 38 GB?).

Imho, it's a no brainer for FPS fans on the PC, it's fun and i love the settings/art style. It has a bit of that Alien/James Cameron vibe to it. Get a Origin key cheap and jump in (hehe).

If you have a XB1 and Live it's a no brainer as well, and even with the free Live month it would be worth it as well. But i would not buy a XB1 just to play this game.

wtf is with the mock shock bs?

Games do a huge portion of their sales on day 1 (or even before in Amazon's case). Are you going to do this again a week after infamous is out and it falls?

Not to mention the fact that we have no idea what digital sales are. There is a reason EB Games was trying to push an Axe Body Spray sample on me, and offering me a Platinum Edge card with an annual fee, and repeatedly mentioning they accept mobile phone trade-ins. Their business is starting to suck. Digital is the way it's going. I was buying dollars for my Microsoft account with an EB gift card. They try so hard to upsell now, and push shit on you, that I'm never walking through those doors again. I understand they have to find new ways to make money, but digital is going to kill them.

Even if it didn't effect Feb sales, the PS4 is still ahead, with the WiiU falling behind the PS4 and Xbox One very close to match WiiU's sales. Still, the Xbox One is the market's leader and leads the hardware sales on a dollar basis.

http://www.totalxbox.com/73236/xbox-one-is-highest-revenue-console-in-america-for-february/

Thats only because the XB1 costs more. Doesn't mean anything other than giving MS something to scrape into a positive.

Meanwhile the rumour is that EA are saying sorry to Sony about the exclusivity deal with MS and having sat down with Sony and crunched the numbers they've realised that they should have asked for a lot more money from MS. What they did get doesn't even begin to cover what they've lost out on! Dumb deals like this is probably why the Bank of America is recommending Activision-Blizzard as a better bet than EA for investing in.

Yup, exactly. The sales in the US aren't far apart, and because the XB1 costs $100 more, their revenue is obviously higher. Worldwide is another story.

TF bundle will not be evident until next month NPD, there were however some $50 Gift card promos and such in Feb.

Next month will most likely be similar but unless Ms does a few more bundles or giveaways to offset the cost, then they will be behind again soon.

not a bad month for a console selling at $100 more retail

Is the MGSV spread is normal? People say MGS is a Sony game.

#7 PS4
#57 XB1

It's definitely more extreme or pronounced than it was last generation but I get a feeling we'll see more of the same as we progress through this gen as the heavily reported downgrades of third party\mulit-platform is only going to continue. Why buy a widely reported inferior product?

Thats only because the XB1 costs more. Doesn't mean anything other than giving MS something to scrape into a positive.

Meanwhile the rumour is that EA are saying sorry to Sony about the exclusivity deal with MS and having sat down with Sony and crunched the numbers they've realised that they should have asked for a lot more money from MS. What they did get doesn't even begin to cover what they've lost out on! Dumb deals like this is probably why the Bank of America is recommending Activision-Blizzard as a better bet than EA for investing in.

Microsoft secured Titanfall on XB1\Windows\XB360 after the E3. EA knows the graphical difference between two consoles (BF4), price of them and negative internet reactions toward XB1. So Microsoft already paid them a lot of money. They're not dumb.

Microsoft secured Titanfall on XB1\Windows\XB360 after the E3. EA knows the graphical difference between two consoles (BF4), price of them and negative internet reactions toward XB1. So Microsoft already paid them a lot of money. They're not dumb.

TF was originally meant to be a PC exclusive until MS convinced them otherwise.

Well, take with a mountainous grain of salt, but I think Famousmortimer on GAF claimed Sony gave EA a recent presentation how much more Titanfall would have sold on PS3/PS4, and that it dwarfs what MS paid them. And that EA is in full "we're sorry Sony" mode.

Again, it's GAF, but it seems to make sense. Titanfall should have at least doubled console sales by being on Sony platforms, if not more given the success of PS4, and it's hard to see MS matching that kind of cash.

Whatever, it was a bold and smart move by MS to lock that up when they saw a chance.

I dont think EA expected the early pummeling PS4 put on Xbox One, either, presumably.

Edit: whoops, I see I'm just recapping what Bonobo said...

I think this explains my theory of "tax returns", put together by a GAF poster

Platform: Jan Results -> Feb Results | Percentage Change MOM

PS4: 271K -> ~269K | [-.7%]
XB1: 141K -> 258K | [+83%]
3DS: ~97K -> ~151K - 156K | [+56% - +61%]
PS3: ~53.5K -> ~103K | [+92.5%]
Wii U: 49K -> 82.5K | [+68%]
360: ~48.5K -> 114K | [+135%]
Vita: <17K -> ~24K | [+41%]

Average Percentage Change MOM is +68% up from January,
Every platform not supply constrained and up big. One platform supply constrained, and not up big...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back