All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better than I expected for both XB1 and PS4. I thought it would be ~190k / 171k when I read the XB1 90% of PS4 tweet. They sold 0.7M PS4s in February, 0.37M of that were sales in Japan which only leaves 0.33M. Seemed like supply was very low in February.

What is source for .7m PS4's in Feb?

If true, that leaves almost none for Europe.

What is source for .7m PS4's in Feb?

If true, that leaves almost none for Europe.
Sony announced that they sold 5.3M as of February 6th, and 6M as of March 2nd. 370K sales in Japan were included in that 6M figure. What was NPD's reporting period?

edit: Feb. 2nd to Mar. 1st. So I guess we're missing a few days of sales. IIRC, a few online retailers had the PS4 in stock in late January / early February, so those few days could actually be a considerable amount.

Man, overall MS must be thrilled. That's a powerful number and still at $500. This makes one recalibrate everything, such as whether the Kinect heavy strategy is actually a failure, whether they'll price cut anytime soon, etc etc.

Because with Titanfall in March unless PS4 comes with really heavy supply (which it looks like they may be), MS is likely to win that too.

This also goes to remind, Amazon is far from everything. The last few days of heavy Amazon watching had me thinking Xbox One was in dire straights, but it wasn't that bad.

But then again, it's a testament to how far expectations have been adjusted that within 10% in the USA could now be considered a win, as well. They're still likely getting creamed in half the market, Europe.

This number could save MS from that horrible quarterly ship number now. Lets just eyeball, Jan+Feb=400k usa sales, maybe 700k ww, throw a bigger Titanfall March on there, it shouldn't be a disaster (since they had 3.9m shipped and only 3m sold around the 1st of 2014, it was setting up for a dreadful quarter)

258k is powerful? It's not bad by any means, but I'm not sure they're thrilled about trailing the competition on their own turf. Satisfied or content might be a better word. And the PS4 was still heavily supply constrained in February.

Also, I'm not so sure XB1 winning March is a given. As I said earlier, I expect PS4 availability to be much better in March, and it already appears to be the case. I think it will be close and it is definitely the most interesting month since launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are great numbers for MS, a lot better than I thought they would do. Good for Sony too. I kinda expected both to be under 200k.

Now, I think both will have strong 300k+ numbers in March.

Overall:

Overall retail sales up 9% year over year.

Hardware up 42% year over year.

Retail software sales down 9% year over year.

Software:

1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, PC)
2. The Lego Movie Videogame (360, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
3. NBA 2K14 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
4. Thief (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
6. Battlefield 4 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
7. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
8. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 360)
9. Minecraft (360)
10. Bravely Default (3DS)

Trivia:
-Bravely Default: Over 200K physical + digital
-Donkey Kong Wii U: 130K physical + digital
-Pokemon X/Y: 130K physical + digital, 3.4M LTD
-Xbox One has a 2.75 attach rate
-Xbox One sold 772,000 games in February and Xbox 360 sold 2.46 million

Hardware:

PS4: 258,000 / 0.9 = 286.7K
Xbox One: 258K
Xbox 360: 114K (-62.2%)
Wii U: Nearly 82.5K (+~25%)

2.75 attach rate for XBO, I think PS4 was at 2.3 last they gave a figure. That may be worldwide for PS4 vs USA only for One though?

Basically the next gen hardware, PS4/One, is selling very strongly, much better than 360 or PS3 did at the same time. So hardware is up, software still down (but I think greater digital share on next gen may play into that somewhat).

MS also bragged about 48% share with 360/One combined, better than any other "platforms".

With Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined, the Xbox platform sold more hardware than any other home console platform and held 43 percent of the home console market share in the U.S.

Xbox One sold 772,000 games in February and Xbox 360 sold 2.46 million, totaling 48 percent of the total software market share (Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined).

That figures up to One is ~31% of 360 software by units, lower than I expected. But by revenue it's probably a much greater share (next gen software has a much higher average price, less old discounted titles). And growing fast.

Except the beta?

Edit: PS4 back to #1 on Amazon.

Yup.

It seems the XB1 Titanfall bundle dropped to 10th place, Titanfall XB1 game dropped to 6, while Infamous: Second Son has risen to 7th place. I’m thinking Titanfall legs are getting tired already – with Amazon anyhow.

The PS4 hardware number was apparently too high. The new GAF-insider approved number is ~268K.

So it really didn't beat X1 by much... (268k vs 258k)

Also have a PS3 hardware number now, ~103k.

PS3+PS4=370k
XBO+X360=372k

Also among other tidbits

.PvZ Garden Warfare: ~120K

LTD in America:

PS4: ~2.54 million
Wii U: ~2.23 million
Xbone: ~2.22 million

So Xone was a smidge from overtaking Wii U USA LTD (surely past now). In 3.5 months. Same as PS4 rocketed past Wii U's worldwide in short order. And XOne should not be horribly far away worldwide, though still a few months off.

And tie ratio:

Launch through February:

XB1 tie ratio = 2.75
PS4 tie ratio = 2.18

If my math is right thus XBO has sold 6.105 million games since launch in NPD retail, PS4 5.537 million.

Some platform splits. T=Thief I think.

T - PS4 56%, XBO 44%
Rayman - PS4 58%, XBO 42%
LEGO - WiiU 41%, XBO 33%, PS4 26%

Still waiting for finalish estimates on all hardware to pull together a comprehensive numbers post.

Oh also, I think March should be quite large for PS4 and X1. For starters it's a five week month, then you have Titanfall on X1, what appears like a good deal more supply for PS4...both could do over 400k or higher you would think.

Good to see that XBOX1 isn't totally lost.

How is it, did Microsoft do the free titan in the USA as well, was it limited? Pre-order? Is it still valid?

Nevermind it's still valid.. Well it shows that a free game always help, and in this case it's extremely hyped and most have game for the XBOX1 owners. So it's like a $60 dollar price reduction.

Don't say that games doesn't move boxes.. great job by Microsoft

Titanfall bundle wouldn't have effected Feb sales though, which is what these are. That should effect March.

I think it's tax returns, no real other explanation. Those dont exist in January, and I see nothing else that would have really moved the needle.

Titanfall bundle wouldn't have effected Feb sales though, which is what these are. That should effect March.

I think it's tax returns, no real other explanation. Those dont exist in January, and I see nothing else that would have really moved the needle.

Didn't the bundle go up in february?, but good point.. next month should be even better then..

How many boxes do you think a short beta sold? As many as the announcement of bundles delayed?

The beta ended ten days before the announcement. Not to mention if you really wanted to play it with your friend on launch day, the last thing you would want to do is get the console the same day. So many patches, calibrations, firmware, game installs/downloads, etc. you would be setting up the console while your friends were playing. If you really decided to pull the trigger (tax money?), a 2-4 week head-start would trump $60. Evidence of the sales position of the TF bundle shows it just replaced the regular console SKU, it didn't leap frog past it.

Rankings don't tell you how many units a system sold. I really love the logic that a few days of beta is a system seller, but the bundle isn't. Spin baby spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back