All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many market that Sony need to serve? I think 750k for the rest is logical, especially for covering the Japan launch.

How many market that Sony need to serve? I think 750k for the rest is logical, especially for covering the Japan launch.
The most recent numbers i could find say the PS4 is available in 53 countries, while Xbone is available in 13.

Yeah Japanese launch could throw a wrench in things right now.

No idea how many folks are expecting them to sell there. I'd guess they need to allocate at least 500k.

And just to repost, the latest solid GAF Aquamarine approved hardware estimates

PS4 - 271K
XB1 - 141K
3DS ~97k
PS3 ~53.5K
Wii U ~49K
360 ~48.5K
Vita < 17k

And I dont know if anybody even posted the software. I believe the GAF info was ~330K for Ghosts that I remember. So software was pretty sad too. PS4 vs X1, PS4 version sold better on everything except Ghosts and Lego.

1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, PC)
2. NBA 2K14 (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
3. Battlefield 4 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
4. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Wii U, PC)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
6. Madden NFL 25 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
7. Minecraft (360)
8. FIFA 14 (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360, Vita)
9. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, 3DS, Wii U, Vita, PC)
10. Tomb Raider (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

Well more like:

jan 2014 (mostly just wildass estimates but probably not far off)

Latest GAF derived hardware numbers (these at least I think are solid)

PS4 - 271K
XB1 - 141K
3DS ~97k
PS3 ~53.5K
Wii U ~49K
360 ~48.5K
Vita < 17k

With sales so low, 360 may never overtake Wii in the states.

That's not my motivation guy, things are lookin ugly. Though you can spin a few ways, as usual stolen from GAF discussions, Sony/MS consoles combined (PS4+XB1+PS3+360=~512k) are still somewhat comparable to past January numbers of Sony/MS consoles combined, if not exemplary. You can look at it as Wii audience moving on plus the total collapse of handhelds then, maybe?

You can also note PS4/XB1 just came off relatively gangbusters Nov/Dec's that pretty much decimated all prior launch sales as far as I know. Certainly XB1/PS4 first three month NPD totals completely obliterate the same for 360/PS3.

I'm not making excuses for X1, I'll just say PS3 lost month after month after month of NPD's, often very badly, and people seemed to get over it. So crying too much over one bad month for X1 is I think a bit out of proportion, but the net tends to punish MS overly so they will. I will say the key difference is PS3 fared better in other markets at least.

I expect there will be several more bad months of poor X1 sales before they do anything. If CBOAT is to be believed, at least summer at the earliest, at which point hell they'll probably wait until fall, because things always take as long as possible in video games.

February and March should see some tax return bumps, and maybe a Titanfall bump for X1. Maybe then, April will be the first true early-PS3 style disaster month for X1? Like 80k or whatever?

For PS4 it did healthy, but I'm not even totally convinced it could have done much higher with adequate supply. There have been bouts of pretty decent supply. For example it's been available on Amazon for a couple days now, and it was also recently. In any case, sellouts with a number of 271k aren't as impressive from a demand perspective as they would be if the number was 400k or 500k. If it sold 500k that'd be indication of wild demand, with 271k I kind of wonder if the sellouts are fairly soft. Clearly the PS4 proposition has resonated much better with consumers though.
You say there's been supply recently but you do know its february right and npd is for january.

I don't think any should be surprised with sales of WiiU, PS3, and 360. Wiiu is simply undesireable. The 360 and PS3 are simply not good values for 8 year old technology. Both are priced too high and too close to their replacements. These things will continue to sell poorly until they're priced $99/149. There are still $299 360 SKUs, no one in their right mind should buy that.

The X1 is the worrying number for MS, but at $499 it's expected, IMO. I didn't think sales would start falling off until March, so I'm surprised too. I think MS has to be very aggressive with the price and soon. They can't maintain the $100 difference for the whole year.

PS4, I'm not sure what to think, but I think they would have sold more if supply was better, it didn't become more readily available online until Last week of January.

That's true of the PS360. Their prices are crazily high relative to age. PS2 dropped from $300 to $129 in 6 years. A PS3 slim should by a hundred quid now. The high price may well mean premature death of the platform, as they won't have any final momentum to maintain them for another year or two.

PS3 and X360 NEEEED to drop price. Publishers will not like that their efforts are "wasted" on oldgen while nextgen install base is so small. They know that they can attract 20-30 more million users over the next ~3 years if the hardware prices go down.

That's true of the PS360. Their prices are crazily high relative to age. PS2 dropped from $300 to $129 in 6 years. A PS3 slim should by a hundred quid now. The high price may well mean premature death of the platform, as they won't have any final momentum to maintain them for another year or two.

Inflation though (which is why PS2 settled at 129 for a long time and i dont recall if ever went to 99). 99 used to be the bottom price for a console, but it just isn't anymore. That's only the price for some toy like an Ouya.

And the chipsets are more power hungry and less shrinkable than before. And a big expense is now a near mandatory hard drive.

360 4Gb is on sale a lot for 149 I think and pretty much constantly during holiday too.

I dont know, I just think we may not understand the profitability implications of things. MS and Sony and Nintendo probably have spreadsheets showing it's better to let sales of console X die at price Y, than drop the price and extend it's life. That is why despite selling horribly Vita doesn't really get price cuts, Wii and PS2 were discontinued rather early (at least to what I would have expected) imo, etc. At some point I think it's better to sell very little, but profitable, hardware.

How is the PS4 being in stock in Feb at Amazon evidence for demand in Jan? We don't really know, or will ever know the saturation point for the PS4 in Jan. At this point we won't know Feb either.

Edit: PS4 OOS at Amazon.com, but sitting at #1 since sales position does not reflect instantaneous sales, there is some lag due to a moving window of some sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inflation though (which is why PS2 settled at 129 for a long time and i dont recall if ever went to 99).
Hit $99 in Apr 2009.

And the chipsets are more power hungry and less shrinkable than before. And a big expense is now a near mandatory hard drive.
Perhaps they can't price reduce much. But that basically means a significant price point can never be reached, meaning significant reduction in potential overall sales.

Wii and PS2 were discontinued rather early
PS2 was stopped 12 years after launch, no? That's 5 years after the new generation launched (as long as we measure a typical generation). And only when sales had bottomed out. Prior to that, several price reductions had kept sales pretty buoyant. I have trouble interpreting that as a premature termination of the platform. ;)

Perhaps they can't price reduce much. But that basically means a significant price point can never be reached, meaning significant reduction in potential overall sales.

That's part of the reason for the higher prices, but I think both 360 and PS3 could be priced under $175.

I also think that is probably part of the reason both new consoles came out with the similar architectures. The cost of both should scale much better into the future than previous gen.

For PS4 it did healthy, but I'm not even totally convinced it could have done much higher with adequate supply. There have been bouts of pretty decent supply. For example it's been available on Amazon for a couple days now, and it was also recently. In any case, sellouts with a number of 271k aren't as impressive from a demand perspective as they would be if the number was 400k or 500k. If it sold 500k that'd be indication of wild demand, with 271k I kind of wonder if the sellouts are fairly soft. Clearly the PS4 proposition has resonated much better with consumers though.

Lol, including February stock in your argument to paint the excellent PS4 figure as poor because the XB1 was rubbish. It's time to give up Tyrone.

What happened to rumors that they were producing 1.4m a month then? Surely they are not selling 1.1m elsewhere are they? They must be making 500k a month or have stockpiles somewhere.

Production and shipping are not the same thing, and not related to each other either. Lots of rumours and a few confirmations said that Sony air shipped units in December straight from the end of the production line into distributor warehouses. That means January's stock would be very depleted and if Sony are weaning off air shipments to cut costs then a low shipped amount makes sense. Look at it this way, December's 1.4m production quota would normally be sent by boat and arrive four weeks later in January wherever they sent it from China. Instead, Sony decided that they couldn't wait around for that and wanted to get as many units into stores as possible before the end of the holiday buying season so they airshipped 1m of that stock and sent 400k using the regular boat. That 400k has arrived at its destination since then, but it has probably been supplemented with around 400k of air shipments from January's production quota (and February's shipment quota). By bringing forwards their shipments from January to December it has created a shortage in the near term, and with the Japanese launch scheduled for next week, there will be some level of stockpiling, which is why there hasn't been ubiquitous stock in the US or Europe over the last month or so. It will be April before Sony have fully weaned off air shipments, and by then they will begin stockpiling units for the Q4 rush to ensure 100% availability when their big hitters come out.

What happened to rumors that they were producing 1.4m a month then? Surely they are not selling 1.1m elsewhere are they? They must be making 500k a month or have stockpiles somewhere.

ehh. They just airshipped stock that was for january and got them for december. It dosent make any difference overall: 2.2million first three months is massive. They are stockpiling at least 500k+ for japanese launch.

You cant just compare first january and ignore how much they sold in november-december. PS3 sold 244k first january because it wasnt even close to million overall. They are outpacing every single other console.

If Xbox ONE had only sold less than million in nov-december and 400k in january because demand wasnt still met people would think industry is great? They are just so way a head PS3/360 and Xbox One is $500 so of course it will be posting lower monthly numbers faster.

If Microsoft didnt see $500 problem coming then wow.. Xbox one wil only do slightly better than PS3 2007 NPD. PS4 slightly better than X360. Microsoft and Sony just swapped places but Nintendo is gone

Sales were bad pretty bad across the board. Jan 2007 saw 6 of 8 consoles/portables hit 200K+, while 5 of 7 didn't even hit 100K for 2014. Didn't the 3DS out sell everything during Dec 2013? Yet failed to break 100K for jan 2014.

Either there is massive hangover from the holiday sales, the blistering winter storms across N.A during jan (which both McDonalds and Walmart blamed on poor jan sales) have hurt sales or something else is a midst.

There was something that stunted sales for january. I can't remember a january ever being this bad.

Pretty much all three manufacturers probably felt like they were "kicked in nuts", when they saw the NPD figures.

Surely they would ramp down production after the launch and holiday period.

Then they can ramp it up in October or November again.

Not as long as there's demand. It'd be kinda stupid to have people wanting to buy consoles and empty shelves and then reduce production!

There is a million or more units worth of demand still out there?

I know they have some launches coming but I would think demand in the US and Western countries are going to slack off following the Holidays.

There is a million or more units worth of demand still out there?

I know they have some launches coming but I would think demand in the US and Western countries are going to slack off following the Holidays.

If the shelves are emptying as fast as they are filling, which is what anecdotes seems to suggest, than yes. There are preorders in some countries not even filled yet. I don't know what lead times on manufacturing contracts there are though, so maybe Sony had to put in an order for n million before Christmas, underestimated interest, and slacked off later months when they shouldn't have? But as others have stated, stockpiling for the Japan launch, my guess is 500k units, plus some few hundred k rest of world, a million in January seems possible.

If the shelves are emptying as fast as they are filling, which is what anecdotes seems to suggest, than yes. There are preorders in some countries not even filled yet. I don't know what lead times on manufacturing contracts there are though, so maybe Sony had to put in an order for n million before Christmas, underestimated interest, and slacked off later months when they shouldn't have? But as others have stated, stockpiling for the Japan launch, my guess is 500k units, plus some few hundred k rest of world, a million in January seems possible.

Japan did like 600K in one day and hit 1 million by day 10. Sony has a chance to surpass those numbers with the PS4 and I doubt if they give up that opportunity. I can imagine Sony dropping 2 million consoles into Japan within its first month on the market.

The PS2 launched in Japan at 39800 JPY which is pretty close to $400 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back