All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
The January charts for the European PlayStation Store are in. Too bad there are no sales numbers, just the ranking of each game..

Tomb Raider DE was #9 for the PS4, which is nothing short of impressive since the game sold for only one day in January.
Ghosts surpassed BF4, which I also find very odd regarding the disparity in review scores between both games.

The Vita's chart seems to be mostly made from titles that were in the January sales.

The January charts for the European PlayStation Store are in. Too bad there are no sales numbers, just the ranking of each game..

Tomb Raider DE was #9 for the PS4, which is nothing short of impressive since the game sold for only one day in January.
Ghosts surpassed BF4, which I also find very odd regarding the disparity in review scores between both games.

The Vita's chart seems to be mostly made from titles that were in the January sales.
I barely played Ghosts and BF4, but had I to choose one I'd go with BF4 all the way.

More news.

According to the agency DFC the PS4 and Xbox One will sell more than 100 million consoles each, as the market is expected to keep growing.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-11-ps4-xbox-one-will-both-reach-100m-units-dfc

DFC is forecasting that PlayStation 4 and Xbox One both hit that mark (by 2020) and that "price and strength in Europe give the PlayStation 4 a slight edge." Moreover, PS4 "could easily become lead platform for Western and Japanese developer / publishers." That said, DFC said there's still "a great deal of room for positioning by both companies." If DFC's model holds true, it would be the first time that two competing systems both sold 100 million units.

researchers at DFC Intelligence have raised their worldwide game revenue forecast to $77 billion in 2014 (up from $68 billion in 2013), and by 2018 the firm believes the industry will be fast approaching $100 billion, reaching about $96 billion.

Still no PS4s to be seen in stores here ... I got two 3m cables with my two controllers for €10.

As far as demand goes, its not even close. There are stacks of Xbox Ones piled up at every retailer I have been to, and the PS4 is practically Big Foot. I have heard people say they have seen one out in the wild, but their story is sketchy. LOL Sony by far has the product with the most consumer demand right now.

Mod: removed discussion about right/wrong decisions. this thread is just about the numbers.

I barely played Ghosts and BF4, but had I to choose one I'd go with BF4 all the way.

More news.

According to the agency DFC the PS4 and Xbox One will sell more than 100 million consoles each, as the market is expected to keep growing.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-11-ps4-xbox-one-will-both-reach-100m-units-dfc
Predictions this early are basically useless. It's not even certain that one will reach 100m let alone both. I think the PS4 has a very good shot at surpassing 100m, but I don't see the XB1 reaching that mark. I see it selling about as many as the X360. Those are my useless predictions anyway. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that trying to say that PS4 owners spend on average 34 hours per week gaming? I find that number hard to believe.
It's hard to believe because it's wrong :smile: What Sony said was PS4 owners collectively game for an average 34 million hours a week, which rises to 50 million hours a week if you include other 'account entertainment options' - which I'm assuming means Netflix and its ilk.

It's hard to believe because it's wrong :smile: What Sony said was PS4 owners collectively game for an average 34 million hours a week, which rises to 50 million hours a week if you include other 'account entertainment options' - which I'm assuming means Netflix and its ilk.

Ah, that makes more sense. I didn't follow the links, just read what was summarized here.

Sony: “PS4 ‘generally sold out at all retailers”

We are still early on since the releases of the X1 and PS4. Lots have been reported about the sales figures on the two consoles and it would seem Sony has a real winner on its hands. During an internal meeting, Sony stated its recent sales figures are overwhelmingly positive and the numbers of consoles being sold are still screaming.

“PS4’s are generally sold out at all retailers although regular supply is refreshing the channel,” Sony said on a slide shown during an internal presentation. Sony also mentioned,they have increased its market share among as what they describe as “heavy gamers.”

“[The PlayStation 4 launch] hasn’t been like prior ones… this is a story of engagement,” vice president of PlayStation marketing John Koller reportedly said. He continued, “When demand outstrips supply, the promise of what’s to come is really critical.”
http://emgn.com/gaming/sony-ps4-generally-sold-out-at-all-retailers/

"heavy gamers" = Sony took multiplatform users away from MS? COD crowd?

As far as demand goes, its not even close. There are stacks of Xbox Ones piled up at every retailer I have been to, and the PS4 is practically Big Foot. I have heard people say they have seen one out in the wild, but their story is sketchy. LOL

My local gamestop has had several of both for weeks. When asking the employee, she said PS4 was definitely selling at a faster rate, but they had been able to keep both in stock.

My local gamestop has had several of both for weeks. When asking the employee, she said PS4 was definitely selling at a faster rate, but they had been able to keep both in stock.
It's very YMMV. Many parts of the US are sold out, and the supply situation is much worse outside of the US. It is still far from being readily available, and I think it will be a while until that happens worldwide.

Here in Canada, it seems like only the larger cities are getting frequent shipments, and they're very small shipments I might add. Amazon.ca keeps posting monthly editions for pre-order (January Edition, February Edition etc.,) which seem to pretty much be first come first serve until they can no longer guarantee them by the end of the month, and they're selling out shortly after the month begins. They're already sold out of the February Edition.

Since NPD is just for North American, the numbers for Xbox One and PS4 will probably be somewhat close, but its the world wide sales where the PS4 is just killing it. I will be interested to see Wii U's sales for the month. I am guessing around 100k. I was really expecting Nintendo to carry a little more momentum from the holidays, but it seems they are in the same situation as 2013, monthly sales with no major software releases are abysmal.

Not to mention this is same bunch of Nostradamii who predicted the Wii U would have strong sales. Good call guys.

This is my favorite "spectacularly wrong market analysis thingy" from last gen

ThcUKA1.gif

I do believe early adopters in console space are the more dedicated gamers.

They definitely are. PS4 is already almost dominating the UK charts despite there are many many times more 360 and PS3 in homes. And if bf4stats is to be believed it's similar, PS4 is often ahead of 360 and even PS3.

The move from one gen to the next is always astonishingly fast. The corest of the core gamers as a group are the ones who move to next gen almost instantaneously. They are the early adopters, the ones that drive things, purchase by far the most software, etc.

I bet that a lot of PS4's have multiple users per console which makes the 34 hour figure much more believable.
Read up the the thread a few posts, there is no "34 hours a week", it was PS4 gamers collectively game 34 million hours a week.

Read up the the thread a few posts, there is no "34 hours a week", it was PS4 gamers collectively game 34 million hours a week.

And how much is that per PS4?

34M hours / 5M PS4s = 6.8h per console

34/6 = 5.6 h per console.

and so on.

edit: That sounds a bit low when you divide those for 7 days.

And how much is that per PS4?

34M hours / 5M PS4s = 6.8h per console

34/6 = 5.6 h per console.

and so on.

edit: That sounds a bit low when you divide those for 7 days.

Actually, that is pretty much spot-on for me. I generally have busy weeks, so my game time at the moment is pretty much limited to 2 or 3 days a week, consisting of a 2 hour session. If I don't get to play during week days because I work late hours at the office, I may have a longer game session on maybe friday or sunday. In total, I would estimate my play time to be around 4-7 hours a week.

Then the other factor being; there just isn't that much to play at the moment. Tomb Raider and Outlast are just about the only games preventing me of making my PS3 my primary console again for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back