All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
your solution is not mine, I would prefer a more elegant solution, no reason to spend more time on that :-/

What you see as elegant I see as inconvenient and inflexible, but you're right, personal preference isn't really debatable, so there's probably not much else to discuss.

I think you totally missed the point on my stance on dd and purchases, I can replace my controller, my phone, everything physical. But I can't replace a drm locked down game when the download servers are switched off or the activation servers doesn't answer anymore.

You're right. It's really not a good comparison. So, one less reason that I think your preferences here are crazy. :p

It's not designed to stop working after XXX hours. It'll just be increasingly shorter lived. But that's true of many mobile devices. Replaceable batteries are certainly a plus, but the lithium packs Sony used are smaller, lighter, and hold a higher charge than rechargeables so need less recharging. It's a compromise. For emperical data, I don't know any PS3 controller where the battery has lost significant capacity, but then all my reference controllers have died far sooner due to other issues! My sixaxis was going strong but I don't use it as I replaced my PS3 (twice) due to hardware failure, which provided new controllers. I also don't know anyone who games as heavily as some here do who'll have experienced defunct batteries and lament the lack of standard replaceability for PS3 controllers.

Sony may have underestimated the situation with PS4's controllers that are going to suffer charging fatigue much quicker.

FWIW, my DS3's are both fine. I have had cellphone batteries start to fade on me, though due fairly frequent charging (I use my phone to stream media while I'm at work). I was pleased in these cases to have bought models with replaceable batteries.

I am concerned with the DS4's short battery life necessitating more charge cycles and cutting short the controller's useful life. Hopefully this is addressed in a later revision (along with some of the other issues).

Sorry for the OT post, but you guys should read http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries if you want to know what exactly shorten the battery life and how to prolong it. Basically it is not the charge cycle itself that shorten the battery life but a combination of temperature, voltage, current.

Edit: you can have more charge cycles while having longer battery life. It's better to charge immediately (as in you're using around 25-50% and charge it) vs running it empty and top it up to 100%.

Or you just use my strategy on xbox and buy a bulk 100 pack of double A's for $22 and you are done forever, or at least the next few years :p

That is why I think honestly taking double A's give more flexibility even though they are looked at as a bad thing...but as always, we've gone OT.

Kind of bad for Xbox. Maybe I'm overreacting but I wonder if Ms is getting worried. The USA seems in decent shape but the UK has gone more to PS so far which was their 2nd stronghold. Oh well I suppose, some recovery by Sony is to be expected given the awesome level of PS3 screwuppery no longer existing to start this gen.

And yay, PS4 dipped below 999 on Amazon just now, so I can get a reading! The only "problem" is I didn't see it until 3:49 AM USA Central time. So it'll be hard to suss out how much impact the hour will have on sales.

Anyway, although I saw a half dozen sell before I started officially tracking (I started tracking at 3:49 AM with 906 available), at 3:56 none have sold and in fact the number went up one to 907. I'll keep updating this post as they go.

Edit#1: ok at 4:50 AM (sorry I missed my hour cutoff by one minute) the PS4 is down to 888 available.

So only 18 sold in one hour. Wow, even given the hour, that's a drastic slowdown from past 1k/hour PS4 sales paces on Amazon.

Will watch a bit more though I must sleep, probably before it sells out/morning unfortunately..

Or you just use my strategy on xbox and buy a bulk 100 pack of double A's for $22 and you are done forever, or at least the next few years :p

That is why I think honestly taking double A's give more flexibility even though they are looked at as a bad thing...but as always, we've gone OT.
For X1/X360 owners, I would definitely get Eneloops, or high quality Made in Japan NiMH batteries. Or I would even consider the play/charge kit because that would make it more like the DS. :p

But ya, this is getting OT. It's a matter of preference. Again, I don't see either battery situation as being an issue. Well, the DS4's battery life could be improved, but again, that's a non-issue if you keep it charged all the time.

And yay, PS4 dipped below 999 on Amazon just now, so I can get a reading! The only "problem" is I didn't see it until 3:49 AM USA Central time. So it'll be hard to suss out how much impact the hour will have on sales.

Anyway, although I saw a half dozen sell before I started officially tracking (I started tracking at 3:49 AM with 906 available), at 3:56 none have sold and in fact the number went up one to 907. I'll keep updating this post as they go.
It was at 958 at ~1:45AM CST. We'll see how fast these sell later in the day/evening. I doubt there are many shoppers at this time (4AM CST). I can see this selling out later today. Amazon.co.uk went from 999+ one day, to gone the next day just yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
DS4 does not have a replaceable battery. I also don't know anyone who has a spare controller to avoid playing with a USB cable. That may be the case, but it's not something I've ever seen. Given the explanations for high standalone DS4 controller sales:

1) Second controller for multiplayer
2) Second controller for when batteries run out
3) Controller for PC

...it seems contrary to Occam's Razor to ascribe a significant part of sales to options 2 and 3.

I honestly wouldn't know why someone would buy a 2nd controller for multiplayer use at this point - there's not a single "next-gen" game that I own that supports it. Neither Resogun, nor KillZone, nor BF4, I'm pretty sure CoD:Ghosts does either. I did download Flow that does though.

I did buy a 2nd controller - and I'm likely to get a third one at some point, as I did with my PS3. The convinience factor for me is to be able to play wireless when the battery dies, so I always have a controller on reserve. The added convinience factor is that if you do happen to have guests over, and given you have some local multiplayer games on the system as I had on the PS3, it's easy to play something where all can join in.

The best games on the PS3 for this were the Pixeljunk games - Racers was brilliant, Eden was fun and of course Shooter. We also had a lot of fun playing 7 player Bomberman at times. In this regard, it's highly disappointing that PS4 does not have any such games yet, but I'm hopeful this will change in the near future.

So, as for me, it's definately option 2.) in your list that is the reason why I bought the extra PS4 controller and for the potential of playing multiplayer games in the future. It'll be 90% option 2.) and 10% option 1.).

It was at 958 at ~1:45AM CST. We'll see how fast these sell later in the day/evening. I doubt there are many shoppers at this time (4AM CST). I can see this selling out later today. Amazon.co.uk went from 999+ one day, to gone the next day just yesterday.

Yes I expect PS4 to sell out today on amazon.com after several hours. It's still a very drastic slowdown in sales since I've observed, though.

Now to ~5AM so we'll see how sales pick up.

Edit: 6AM Amazon update: 880 PS4's remaining. So, only 26 sold in 2+ hours.

~ 7AM update (7:10 precisely) 840 PS4's remaining. 40 that hour.

8 AM update, 783 remaining, 57 sold

10:05 AM, 599 remain. 184 sold in ~2 hrs. So, pace picking up.

Seems that Gamestop Denmark is fed up with waiting on Microsoft, so they decided to import the XBOX1 themselves. Some 10-15% added to the original price

I honestly wouldn't know why someone would buy a 2nd controller for multiplayer use at this point - there's not a single "next-gen" game that I own that supports it. Neither Resogun, nor KillZone, nor BF4, I'm pretty sure CoD:Ghosts does either.
Cooptimus says there are 9 titles on PS4 supporting couch coop (10 if you include Angry Birds, 11 assuming FIFA supports local coop even though it's not listed). It's easy for people to overlook games they don't care for, but for families who'll want to play Knack coop, or the LEGO games, or Skylanders (and COD supports 2 player local coop according to that website), and are looking forwards to Diablo 3 and other games, a second controller for multiplayer is a must. Out of 4 million PS4's sold, is it really that hard to believe a quarter of them have an interest in playing locally so bought an extra controller?

I honestly wouldn't know why someone would buy a 2nd controller for multiplayer use at this point - there's not a single "next-gen" game that I own that supports it.

Should we all base our secondary controller purchased based on not needing a spare for our trips to your house? LOL. jjk

There are plenty of games available that makes use local multiplayer. And a lot of people make purchases based on intended future use.

You can track Amazon's best seller list back to 1999. Controllers didn't see a significant change in rankings when the wireless feature became standard.

Most people tend to buy a secondary controller for local multiplayer. Local multiplayer has been a part of console gaming experience since the beginning. It has always been there. Its practically part of the core experience of the fighting and sports genre.

A battery backup is a matter of convenience. Local multiplayer is a matter of function.

One can be simply rectified with plugging in a USB cord, the other requires "My bad, lets take turns playing the computer".

Even most socially arkward people, who rarely or never have anyone over, have couches.

No, of course not - but I wouldn't underestimate those that bought an extra controller for convinience sake with priority of having an extra controller charged and ready to use when one of them needs to be recharged. The weak lifespam of the DS4 has already exaggerated the effect in my eyes, over the DS3.

I'm within that statistic as well, as I have purchased an extra controller. From my two friends who currently own a PS4 - I know first hand experience that they have bought an extra controller for the same reasons as I (foremost having one spare, with co-op being an afterthought but just as important).

We are more or less 'heavy gamers' though - meaning that when we do play, we have quite considerable playing sessions (multiple hours of online MP) where a fully charged controller might not last the entire session. It's a lot more convinient to have that extra controller.

Thanks for that link to cooptimus though. Interesting. I'll be able to use that to get some games that support COOP. It really would be great to have more games that support it when I have guests over.

Out of 4 million PS4's sold, is it really that hard to believe a quarter of them have an interest in playing locally so bought an extra controller?

Lego Marvel Super Heroes is awesome with co-op, although everybody seemingly wants to be Iron Man. Thank god for Iron Patriot!! :yep2:

Most people tend to buy a secondary controller for local multiplayer. Local multiplayer has been a part of console gaming experience since practically the beginning. It has always been there.

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. IMO, local multiplayer has decreased quite significantly, due to online multiplayer. In the PS2 days, we used to have splitscreen gaming sessions of GT and TimeSplitters which were a blast.

Once PS3 came, we moved on to online MP. Since the PS3, we practically had no local multiplayer sessions anymore, as splitscreen multiplayer has become an inconvinience, given we're used to having the 'full experience' over online.

We still have local multiplayer sessions where an extra controller becomes a requirement, but these sessions have reduced to the point, where it's an afterthought, a means to entertain people when you have them over, but not being the prime attraction. The games where local multiplayer is still attractive in these examples are foremost party games (where the Wii as a console excelled) and games that don't require splitscreen (e.g. sport games).

I admit I'm not into sport games much (where I'm guessing many still enjoy local multiplayer), but as a big fan of the shooter genre, online MP has pretty much eliminated the need for local multiplayer. In general, I think online MP has greatly reduced local multiplayer gaming to a large degree. I wouldn't take the sales of controller as any reference of booming local multiplayer trends at all.

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. IMO, local multiplayer has decreased quite significantly, due to online multiplayer. In the PS2 days, we used to have splitscreen gaming sessions of GT and TimeSplitters which were a blast.

Once PS3 came, we moved on to online MP. Since the PS3, we practically had no local multiplayer sessions anymore, as splitscreen multiplayer has become an inconvinience, given we're used to having the 'full experience' over online.

We still have local multiplayer sessions where an extra controller becomes a requirement, but these sessions have reduced to the point, where it's an afterthought, a means to entertain people when you have them over, but not being the prime attraction. The games where local multiplayer is still attractive in these examples are foremost party games (where the Wii as a console excelled) and games that don't require splitscreen (e.g. sport games).

I admit I'm not into sport games much (where I'm guessing many still enjoy local multiplayer), but as a big fan of the shooter genre, online MP has pretty much eliminated the need for local multiplayer. In general, I think online MP has greatly reduced local multiplayer gaming to a large degree. I wouldn't take the sales of controller as any reference of booming local multiplayer trends at all.

Online multiplayer is not substitute for local multiplayer. Online multiplayer gives the same experience but its doesn't cater to situtation where you have friends over or want to play other household members (unless you have multiple consoles and multiple TVs in the same room).

Local multiplayer doesn't have to be a prime attraction. Just as the rate of drivers regularly carrying 2 or more passengers, doesn't explain by itself why 4 door and 4 seaters dominate automobile sales.

The 360 controller presents a way to more conveniently deal with batter drain, but there is nothing that says a PS3 has a higher ratio of controller to console units due to that circumstance.

You can control the circumstance of battery drain by being more diligent in your charging habits. You also don't lose functionality because plugging a controller into the USB is always an option. You can't accommodate local multiplayer without a second controller. If simply putting a non user replaceable rechargeable battery into a wireless device was an easy way to double up sales, everyone would be doing it.

You may discount local multiplayer, but next gen consoles aren't accommodating up to 4-8 controllers support for nothing. And the top selling lists of either the PS3 and 360 is inundated with games that support local multiplayer. Those titles are finding a reason to support local multiplayer, just as a lot of gamers are finding a reason to support the functionality.

Online multiplayer is not substitute for local multiplayer. Online multiplayer gives the same experience but its doesn't cater to situtation where you have friends over or want to play other household members (unless you have multiple consoles and multiple TVs in the same room).

Local multiplayer doesn't have to be a prime attraction. Just as the rate of drivers regularly carrying 2 or more passengers, doesn't explain by itself why 4 door and 4 seaters dominate automobile sales.

You may discount local multiplayer, but next gen consoles aren't accommodating up to 4-8 controllers support for nothing. And the top selling lists of either the PS3 and 360 is inundated with games that support local multiplayer. Those titles are finding a reason to support local multiplayer, just as a lot of gamers are finding a reason to support the functionality.

I wasn't discounting it, I was analyzing trends. And the trends, unfortunately, are that less games seem to support local multiplayer. This might not be the case with sports games (or games that wouldn't require splitscreen implementation) of course, but with pretty much every other genre, the trend is increased focus on online MP over splitscreen features. I would think the reasons for this are quite obvious; Because statistically speaking, it's easier for people to access a network and play with hundreds of other people (and friends) then to invite them over. Doesn't mean people don't do it anymore, but I would think the people willing to play online outweigh the ones that prefer local multiplayer by quite a margin. That's probably also the reason Sony reduced PS4s supported controllers down to 4, from 7 on the PS3 (which IMO is an epic fail in my book).

If I take my own (and my friends) gaming habbits into account, we probably play online or solo 99.9% of the time and 0.1% would be local multiplayer on that one or two days within a year when we do meet up at someones place and happen to play some videogames. Maybe it's an age-group thing as well - but working fulltime, staying till late at work makes it hard to find time to meet up to play videogames with local friends. When we do meet up, we're likely to do other things instead.

Doesn't mean I like the trend. Then again, I don't think I'm likely to want to play a shooter over a splitscreen. It's just not convinient if you can do the same using a headset and more competitively. On the other hand, the games that I do find very attractive for local multiplayer are sports games and arcade "mini" games (such as the ones I mentioned further up that are missing on the PS4 so far).

As for the XBOnes controller being better suited or whatever - that's not my argument. I merely pointed out that I wouldn't read too much into controller sales to deduct that lots of people play local multiplayer games, as I know many people (me included) that bought a controller for other reasons (convinience - Point 2.) in Shifty's list which he thought must be insignificant).

Yes I expect PS4 to sell out today on amazon.com after several hours. It's still a very drastic slowdown in sales since I've observed, though.

Now to ~5AM so we'll see how sales pick up.

Edit: 6AM Amazon update: 880 PS4's remaining. So, only 26 sold in 2+ hours.

~ 7AM update (7:10 precisely) 840 PS4's remaining. 40 that hour.

8 AM update, 783 remaining, 57 sold

10:05 AM, 599 remain. 184 sold in ~2 hrs. So, pace picking up.
When was the last time you observed sales? Back during the holidays? If so, why do you seem surprised all the time that sales drastically slowed down after the holidays? That's normal. Plus obviously sales are going to be slow between 4AM-8AM. I just monitored sales between 11:17AM - 12:17AM CST and they sold 151 (415 -> 264). Sales will probably pickup after 3-5PM when people get off work/school. (edit: on second thought, they'll probably be gone before then). Selling out in ~3 days with what appears to be a fairly large shipment is still pretty impressive for January IMO. It's ranked 3 for sales in 2014.

And in regards to the Tomb Raider DE split of 69% PS4 / 31% X1... FWIW, the split was ~50/40 in favor of the X360 last gen, last year.

Even if its 100/hour on average at one retailer.. that rate is tens of thousands a month. And Amazon is certainly less than 20% overall

Xbox One failed. Time to pack it up folks. :cry:

But seriously, PS4 sales aren't going to continue at a brisk pace forever. Even $400 is a lot of money for a console with few exclusive games. It's not as if the PS3/360 instantly becomes a paperweight. More importantly, because the best selling games are multi-player in nature, you can't just ignore those old console unless you don't want to play with your friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back