All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not an advantage unless your competition are also discounting their product. If a particular product is in great demand you don't offer a discount as cutting your bottom line is a pointless loss of revenue.

I suspect they have too much stock, they placed their bets at the start of the generation and now need to make room for other things.

It, as a singular occurrence, makes no statement about the health of the XBone. It just probably exposes bad stock control on their behalf.

Of course it's an advantage if people come to your store to buy stuff from you instead of your competition because your prices are lower.. That's how a free market works. I'm surprised you're even trying to argue that point. It's basic math...lower prices will bring in more customers...just look at gas stations...they all sell the same thing but most people will try to find the stations with the lower prices even if it's only a few cents...

Of course it's an advantage if people come to your store to buy stuff from you instead of your competition because your prices are lower.. That's how a free market works. I'm surprised you're even trying to argue that point. It's basic math...lower prices will bring in more customers...just look at gas stations...they all sell the same thing but most people will try to find the stations with the lower prices even if it's only a few cents...

Gas stations are always undercutting each other so it works for them. When you are the only shop that is reducing its prices when everyone else is charging full price then it's just bad for profits. They either have no demand or they have too much stock. Trying to attract sales of a recently, and still in demand, product by cutting your own profit is just wrong. If the market were saturated and everyone was cutting prices... But they're not so why is Zavvi? Actually I don't care that much anyway! Zavvi and Hut don't have the best track records for consumer confidence.

Gas stations are always undercutting each other so it works for them. When you are the only shop that is reducing its prices when everyone else is charging full price then it's just bad for profits. They either have no demand or they have too much stock. Trying to attract sales of a recently, and still in demand, product by cutting your own profit is just wrong. If the market were saturated and everyone was cutting prices... But they're not so why is Zavvi? Actually I don't care that much anyway! Zavvi and Hut don't have the best track records for consumer confidence.

When there are too many people selling the same thing (too much stock) for the same price with a limited number of customers you have to do something different to attract those customers to your store instead of just passively letting them go to other stores. One way is to lower your prices.

What good is selling at the same price as your competitors if nobody shops at your store? If there were a shortage then yeah I could see them retaining similar pricing but there isn't a shortage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead Rising 3 ships 1 million by Dec 20 http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140122.html

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) is pleased to announce that "Dead Rising 3", its first title for the new-generation Xbox One®, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, has surpassed one million unit sales for shipments in Europe, North America, and other Xbox One launch markets, as of December 20, 2013.

Their target was 1.2m by March 31st 2014, so seems a decent success. Seems to be the next gen "lets play" of choice on youtube as well, although it's a style of game (open world mayhem) that lends to that.

It's not an advantage unless your competition are also discounting their product. If a particular product is in great demand you don't offer a discount as cutting your bottom line is a pointless loss of revenue.

I suspect they have too much stock, they placed their bets at the start of the generation and now need to make room for other things.

It, as a singular occurrence, makes no statement about the health of the XBone. It just probably exposes bad stock control on their behalf.

Pretending supply/demand/price relationships are binary is simplistic thinking.

What other things? It's an online retail with warehouses and warehouse space, entering a gaming lull post-Christmas, no? What other stock will they be getting which needs XB1's cleared out? Why XB1's and nothing else?

Checking the website now, they've sold out. "Perorder now for our next delivery." What Zavvi got from reducing their price is instant internet recognition and full sell-through. If they sold 100 units, that'd be £2,000, which isn't much of a marketing budget.

Although economists talk about price being defined by current demand, there isn't a rigid price/demand relationship. That relationship comes from sellers looking at what buyers are doing and trying to make the most money, which entails human involvement in trying to determine demand and price and maximise profits, sometimes pricing too high for current demand, and sometimes pricing too low, sometimes getting it just right. Zavvi looked at the current state of the market (XB1's everywhere, them just being a third rate, nigh forgotten brand perhaps) and reckoned a small price drop would generate loads of interest worth more to them than the extra £20 per unit and slower sell-through.

So a drop of price when demand is higher is a drop of per-unit revenue, but it's not necessarily pointless. And it also may be a mistake Zavvi is making - that happens, and businesses trying to compete make some wrong choices. But it may also be the right choice and make them more money in the long run.

It's on GAF but, several European Amazon's seem to have PS4 stock, at least bundles. Here is one of the links http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlaySt...UTF8&qid=1390309466&sr=1-1&keywords=ps4+knack

Amazon UK I personally did the stock checker trick, and can confirm the KZ and Knack bundles aren't selling particularly fast (in fact I think the Knavk bundle has not sold a single unit in the past hour or more as of this writing??). For anybody who wants to confirm, the process is add one to cart, then go to edit cart, for Amjazon UK there's an extra step where you choose 10+ on the slider, then you edit the quantity to 999, update, and it will downforce your cart to however many are left (if it is less than 999), you can do this as many times as you like to get a realtime look at how fast they are selling,

Perhaps the first signs of thaw in PS4 demand?

Amazon are amazing cause they give a day when they expect new stock. Shame that that when I ordered one (KZ bundle) for their new refill on 15th Jan, I waited and waited until they emailed me on the 16th or so saying that due to unprecedented demand, I'd been knocked to the new refill on 29th Jan. Then I cancelled but that's for totally unrelated reasons.

So it's not as clear as it seems. And we can't know the reasons. Maybe they got less stock than expected, or maybe I was just unlucky.

Then I cancelled but that's for totally unrelated reasons.
:LOL:

So it's not as clear as it seems. And we can't know the reasons. Maybe they got less stock than expected, or maybe I was just unlucky.
Maybe someone contacted them to say you can't be trusted with your own finances and risked suing Amazon for their one-button purchase option? ;)

Amazon are amazing cause they give a day when they expect new stock. Shame that that when I ordered one (KZ bundle) for their new refill on 15th Jan, I waited and waited until they emailed me on the 16th or so saying that due to unprecedented demand, I'd been knocked to the new refill on 29th Jan. Then I cancelled but that's for totally unrelated reasons.

There is plenty of the Knack bundle in stock... if you know a kid and he might plat it once then you can giiiiveeee innn :)

Sony are selling more consoles than Microsoft world wide at the minute is that really a surprise .
Did the PS3 sell more console first year than microsoft 's Xbox 360 did in its first year .
I'm sorry but I find this whole sales topic and most of the in fighting in here very funny both machines are being brought by hardcore gamers at the minute some are buying both while others are buyng which ever one there fans of .
Neither Sony or Microsoft are selling to the wider game buying public at the minute by that I mean joe blogs who just wants a games console to play on maybe once or twice a week with friends and family .
I think the number of Xbox 360s sold this holiday season kind of proves that to the average gamer out there that there is still a lot if value in the Xbox brand I was expecting sales to drop off far more than they did but instead the Xbox 360 had a very good holiday season in all markets better than Sony did .
Reminds me of how well the PS 1 and 2 did in there first holiday season they shared with there newer better big brother .
Going off of past trends I would say Microsoft will do very well with the Xbox one as the name Xbox is like PlayStation a excepted gaming platform .
I expect I very even split again no more than a ten to fifteen percent difference in systems sold which can only be good news for developers and publishers alike .
But of coarse there bad news for fan boys on both sides of the fence.

Neither Sony or Microsoft are selling to the wider game buying public at the minute by that I mean joe blogs who just wants a games console to play on maybe once or twice a week with friends and family.

I guess that is precisely why it is such a fascinating topic. Because success attracts success, a upward spiral trend. Being successfull out the gate has the potential to trigger proportionally more success in the long term, because joe blogs 'who just want a game console' (and have no or little past affilation with a system) are more likely to opt for the more successfull system. Because people are influenced by people they know and what they read - and therefore the more successful console is statistically in a stronger position.

On the other hand, a console plagued by bad press and is generally seen as the worse choice, can lead to an downward spiral. It doesn't have to, of course, but realistically, everyone wants to be as successfull as possible right out the gate at launch and get into that upward trend.

Now I'm not saying that Xbox One isn't successfull and the PS4 is - the margins are still very close. But there is merit on why sales & demand is an interesting topic when speculating about the future success of a console.

It's on GAF but, several European Amazon's seem to have PS4 stock, at least bundles. Here is one of the links http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlaySt...UTF8&qid=1390309466&sr=1-1&keywords=ps4+knack
Both the Knack and Killzone PS4 bundles are still in stock on Amazon UK, with next day delivery available. The basic package is showing as being back in stock on 30 January.

Like I said to DrJay24 just last week. Demand can be sated very suddenly in some markets, with widespread availability following soon after.

Amazon UK I personally did the stock checker trick, and can confirm the KZ and Knack bundles aren't selling particularly fast (in fact I think the Knavk bundle has not sold a single unit in the past hour or more as of this writing??). For anybody who wants to confirm, the process is add one to cart, then go to edit cart, for Amjazon UK there's an extra step where you choose 10+ on the slider, then you edit the quantity to 999, update, and it will downforce your cart to however many are left (if it is less than 999), you can do this as many times as you like to get a realtime look at how fast they are selling,

Perhaps the first signs of thaw in PS4 demand?

Anyways it's odd to me that people seem to snap up standalone PS4's at retail price, but aren't seemingly willing to pay just 40-60 more for them in ebay or bundled form. I say that because of reports of lines for the recent Sunday stock Best Buy got in, when PS4's for $40-$60 premium seem freely available on ebay. It's just kind of odd, people not necessarily the smartest, reminds of the people who will drive across town to save a couple cents per gallon on gas, not seeing the forest for the trees, or I'm sure I missed a more appropriate metaphor.

From what i saw the Knack bundle is selling but nowhere like a it's on fire, as for the Killzone Bundle it's still at 999 so either they are not selling at all, or more likely, Amazon got more than 999 in stock. Knack is at 726, how much was it at when you checked..

And weird enough, Knack the game, is at 5 copies.

Both the Knack and Killzone PS4 bundles are still in stock on Amazon UK, with next day delivery available. The basic package is showing as being back in stock on 30 January.

Like I said to DrJay24 just last week. Demand can be sated very suddenly in some markets, with widespread availability following soon after.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_h__12

Yeah, all PS4 skus seem like a total bomba.

MS situation in UK looks really bad at this point. I think they need price parity soonish. But a clearance priced Wii U spiked up

Yeah, all PS4 skus seem like a total bomba.
because that's what he said right?

Demand dropping off doesn't mean failure. Demand for all video products will have dropped markedly from the holiday season meaning Sony supply is now catching up. Ultimately the goal is to have them available in retailers all the time no one has suggested that equates to failing. If you want to sell huge numbers you need to have them available in stores, not everyone is willing to jump through hoops to acquire a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back