All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh, I didn't even notice Amazon sales charts are sortable by month too (til ROAD on GAF). And for Dec XBO is >PS4.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013-12/videogames/?tag=viglink129408-20

Road noted Amazon UK had PS4 over XBO for Dec, and the sales numbers revealed reflected that, if it counts for anything.

It's weird because from what I've seen the yearly (2013) console chart positions rarely budge if at all. So are we to believe Amazon sold a miniscule amount of consoles in Dec compared to Nov? Dont know.
Not really surprising... I only saw the PS4 in stock once in December, but that one time seemed to be a big batch.

Pachter and I believe our own Shortbread said that GS (and BB?) would be getting the majority of the PS4s shipped to NA, and Amazon was the biggest supplier of X1.

Ooh, I didn't even notice Amazon sales charts are sortable by month too (til ROAD on GAF). And for Dec XBO is >PS4.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013-12/videogames/?tag=viglink129408-20

Road noted Amazon UK had PS4 over XBO for Dec, and the sales numbers revealed reflected that, if it counts for anything.

It's weird because from what I've seen the yearly (2013) console chart positions rarely budge if at all. So are we to believe Amazon sold a miniscule amount of consoles in Dec compared to Nov? Dont know.

And 5 times as many "reviews" on the PS4 as the XB1

And 5 times as many "reviews" on the PS4 as the XB1

There are 2 SKU of xbox. You need to add the day one edition.

It might be more interesting to compare the number from people who actually bought one, but I still doubt that would be useful.

To be fair, the majority of customer reviews were written for the Day One Edition. The Day One Edition + Standard is almost half of all of the PS4 SKUs together (~2800 vs ~6000). Most of amazon's ps4 sales were probably in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
... speaking of PS4 SKUs, I forgot that part of the large batch of PS4s amazon received in December were sold in bundles... every PS4 SKU was in stock during that time, and that obviously affects the rankings. The standalone PS4 by itself is just 4 spots behind the X1.

That said, I still wouldn't be surprised if the X1 outsold the PS4 in December at amazon.

Numbers....

BestBuy: 34K/PS4 49K/XB1 units sold during December.
GameStop: 42K/PS4 73K/XB1 units sold during December.

Retail Rumor: Walmart received the largest shipments (of all retailer / e-retailers) of PS4 during the holiday season, with the largest shipment arriving the day before New Year’s. Both shipments sold out quickly… the majority of sales coming from Walmart’s online site. Pegged shipments at 90K-100k units… I’m still looking into this.

Note 1: Between BestBuy and GameStop, XB1 had more sales during the month of December. PS4 was very supply limited during the earlier weeks of December, nothing major until mid-December.

Note 2: PS4 demand is still very high, actually increased after the Holiday season, per GameStop. XB1 demand is strong, but sales have dropped by 32% between GS/BB as of today, the first initial drop (9%) occurring during Christmas week, another 21% by the following week.

Note 3: Some vendors/distributors have an abundant of XB1 units in waiting. One vendor has confirmed a few orders were larger than expected – compared to what was initially ordered (could be an error on either end). I'll let you know within a week or so how this plays out...

Note 4: From the small sample between GS/BB it seems more males have purchased XB1, while PS4 has garnered a larger section of younger female buyers.

Note 5: Currently, GS already has an inventory of pre-owned/refurbished XB1 systems, PS4 none. GameStop and BestBuy XB1/PS4 returns for hardware issues are very low... however, more PS4's have been returned for hardware issues (during the earlier cycle).

Please remember, I do not have any sales figures for Amazon, Wal-Mart, Meijer’s, Costco’s, SAMs Club, New Egg, Tiger Direct, Kmart, Sears, or any other retailer/e-retailer. These are only GameStop and BestBuy US sales figures.

Note 4: From the small sample between GS/BB it seems more males have purchased XB1, while PS4 has garnered a larger section of younger female buyers.
What are they buying with their PS4s?

Also, what did you mean by this post?

Someone has been naughty and honestly, I'm not shocked. Yet its a common practice, rarely put in check... not strongly anyhow.

Bases are loaded...

What are they buying with their PS4s?

Also, what did you mean by this post?

Believe it or not, that meh game Knack, and AC.

It's more dealing with Note 3, but it can be actual error on either end... but I have seen this in the past (CompUSA), and my gut feeling is telling me what it is. But its to early at the moment to say "Ahh Haa"... so I will wait for a couple of weeks to go by, before posting anything else on Note 3.

BestBuy: 34K/PS4 49K/XB1 units sold during December.
GameStop: 42K/PS4 73K/XB1 units sold during December.

Retail Rumor: Walmart received the largest shipments (of all retailer / e-retailers) of PS4 during the holiday season, with the largest shipment arriving the day before New Year’s. Both shipments sold out quickly… the majority of sales coming from Walmart’s online site. Pegged shipments at 90K-100k units… I’m still looking into this.

Thats 76k PS4 and 122k, so plus 46k XB1.

But it leaves what, Wal Mart, Costco, Target, Amazon, outstanding of major retailers?

Given XB1 appeared to lead Dec at Amazon, I'm beginning to lean pretty strongly for XB1 to win Dec NPD now.

The absolute BB/GS numbers look pretty low. I wonder how much of the market those 2 chains command? One would think it'd be fairly substantial.

Thats 76k PS4 and 122k, so plus 46k XB1.

But it leaves what, Wal Mart, Costco, Target, Amazon, outstanding of major retailers?

Given XB1 appeared to lead Dec at Amazon, I'm beginning to lean pretty strongly for XB1 to win Dec NPD now.

The absolute BB/GS numbers look pretty low. I wonder how much of the market those 2 chains command? One would think it'd be fairly substantial.

Actually I'm surprised BB/GS actually sold what they had, or the amount they received during December. If total shipments for PS4 were under 400k during December, then BB/GS allotments are actual fair, when you consider Sony needs to supply other retailers and e-retailers within the US. XB1 total shipments during earlier part of December could have been strained as well, inventory only improving during the later part of December.

Are the amount of units sold by BB and GS considered high or low?

How does this measure up historically? What percentage of total retail sales do those stores represent? Is it closer to 10%, 25% or 50% of potential NPD?

Are the amount of units sold by BB and GS considered high or low?

How does this measure up historically? What percentage of total retail sales do those stores represent? Is it closer to 10%, 25% or 50% of potential NPD?

Please remember, I do not have any sales figures for Amazon, Wal-Mart, Meijer’s, Costco’s, SAMs Club, New Egg, Tiger Direct, Kmart, Sears, Toys "R" Us or any other retailer/e-retailer. It's somewhat impossible to gage the overall NPD percentage that BB/GS plays, especially when shipments sizes vary from month to month. During the PS4/XB1 launch periods, both companies had large shipments, PS4 favoring GS, while XB1 favoring Amazon. As of now, it seems Wal-Mart had the largest inventory of PS4 during December, while XB1 still possibly favoring Amazon.

Also, most brick and mortar retailers (cumulative wise) aren't getting the smaller burst shipments like most e-retailers are seeing. Most major brick and mortar retailers wait for larger stockpiles from manufactures, it keeps shipping/warehousing/distribution cost low. Companies like Amazon, don't have to deal with so many middlemen... pretty much Amazon acts like a vendor/middleman.

Edit: Come to think of it.... I wonder how Amazon factors their (hot product / product of the month / sold more) sales statics to the public? Is it solely Amazon warehoused goods, or a mixture of 2nd/3rd party sales as well?

Major Update: It seems my numbers for BB/GS are off, somehow online sales didn't get factored in. Actually it was my fault altogether, I received so many texts during New Year, discarding most of them, not reading them, thinking they were "Happy New Year" texts. My bad... :oops:

Anyhow, I'm waiting for them to come over later, hopefully before noon. From what was indicated, GS\BB might have (slightly) sold more PS4s than XB1s during December. I have a hard time believing that, but I will know soon enough.

That was pretty reality bending PR. "Fastest selling in november" "sold out mostly"

3 million was what it had to do when the stock was there. Now the hard work begins

Fastest selling console in the US. I guess they are guaranteeing an NPD win.

Maybe, maybe not.

Update:

BestBuy: 72K/PS4 64K/XB1 units sold during December.
GameStop: 102K/PS4 89K/XB1 units sold during December.

PS4 actually did do better than XB1 in December, at GS/BB. So, PS4 may actually lead December's NPD.

Note: Between GS/BB XB1 is getting a lot more walk in buys, because of the available stock on hand. PS4, is receiving more GS\BB online sales, because of notifications of stock being available.

I wonder what numbers Kaz, will announce tomorrow during CES? I'm thinking 3.3 million units sold, with a high chance of 3.5 million. Shocking would be 4 million...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back