All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the number of reviews I find interesting. There's 470 for the xbone and just shy of 5000 for the PS4. And word is spreading rapidly about it being back in stock. Will be interesting to see how long or lasts.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

The day one edition has 1800 reviews... Of course I'd put that under the not really useful category, just like their sales ranking.

Can't describe the temptation when I was Christmas shopping at toyrus and saw a ps4 just sitting there ready to be bought.

Caught myself calculating what toys I needed to put back to get that bad boy. Felt horrible especially since it involved just walking away and leaving the whole cart and still needing to come up with more money than I needed for what was in the cart. Lol

My neighbor went to the same store and some had scooped it up. Still had 3 XB1s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbox One is #1 most wished for....for whatever it's worth.

Interestingly, perhaps shockingly, PS4 has been in stock on Amazon for about 2 hours now while XBO is sold out...

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4/dp/B00BGA9WK2/ref=zg_bs_videogames_67

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Console/dp/B00CMQTVUA/ref=zg_bs_tab_pd_mw_1

Even worse, PS4 is only #67 and falling on the hourly sales charts, whereas being in stock should cause it to shoot up the charts rapidly.

Very weird, perhaps "massive PS4 demand" really meant "incredibly limited supply".

But I also think Amazon's bestseller charts have been bugged a lot lately.

@Shifty's last post, rolling 24hrs?

How exactly Amazon's charts work has always been a mystery to me (and I think is a closely guarded secret). Can it really be ordered by "units sold", when you'd assume some 5 cent item would always dominate? Anyway, OT I guess. There is definitely a momentum component to Amazon's charts though, they do not "reset" every hour, day etc.
Amazon finally updated their rankings. All 5 PS4 SKUs are in the top 20 movers and shakers, PS4 is ranked 1 and 4 SKUs are in the top 100 best sellers (hourly), for whatever it's worth. I still think Amazon's ranking isn't reliable, but I believe the demand is still high and that amazon just got a massive shipment since all of the SKUs had a lot of stock and 2 of them sold out.

it's been in stock 13+ hours now! Of course many of those hours have been the dead of night but still. I recall one recent Xbox One stocking lasting 8 hours and getting skewered on GAF.

Most Xbox One stockings dont propel the console to #1 that I've seen, too be fair. Then again we assume they come in more drips and drabs.

I'm also sure it's on the border of being able to arrive by Christmas. Would have to choose 1 or 2 day shipping. 2 day shipping is 15 bucks and guaranteed to arrive by dec 24 though, so that cant be a perfect excuse.

Yes a large shipment indeed, surprised Amazon didn't make more fanfair.

Amazon has a trick where you can change the amount in your cart up to 999, and if there is less than 999 of the item available it will reduce the amount in your cart to the amount they have. I have used this trick a few times tonight including as of this post, and every time 999+ have been available for what it's worth.

Edit: and finally a few hours later, they're almost gone, as the inventory counter has gone below 999.

I did a test, checked stock it was 610, set my phone timer at 2:00, checked again it was at 576 after 2 minutes.

So for that span, 34 in 2 mins or 17 a minute, for what it's worth.

At that rate it should take about an hour to sell the last 1,000.

Edit2: I did another longer test of 20 minutes. Stock went from 534 to 166. 368 sold, 18.4 per minute.

So it's in the ballpark of 1k/hour. The sellout should happen around 8:30 AM central time.

It looks like it will have been in stock about 17 hours upon sellout judging by the timing of the GAF thread and assuming that thread wasn't tardy. At 1k/hour, maybe 17k sold in that shipment?

Now, the in stock lasted through yesterday prime time, at which time sales rates would have been likely much higher. But it also went through the dead of night hours, at which time they should have been lower. No telling but a best guess is those roughly cancel out and 1k might have been the average.

Now I would love to do this test on XBO, next time they get stock. Watch for further edits soon!

This post brought to you by Rangers loves numbers...

Edit3: What do you know Amazon just got XBO stock 442 available.

Ran a ten minute timer (would have done longer but sleep time nears) starting with 438 XBO available.

I kept checking during the ten minutes and once I checked when they had 429, like a minute later I checked they had 432. stock actually increased. Not sure if Amazon could be adding in inventory in real time? You could say it's as people removed from their cart too, but by that logic I have all of them sitting in my cart. So, dont know. I was also a little suspicious because a gaffer had posted Amazon had 100 XBO in, obviously when I checked it was 442 so I wondered if they were adding to inventory. Anyways it seemed to decrease slowly and normally other than that little hickup so we'll go with it.

Test done, XBO went from 438 to 423, so 15 in 10 minutes. Obviously about 90 an hour at that pace.

One other little caveat, perhaps it takes a bit for people to realize they are in stock. Pace could improve. But anyway.

edit 4: after running another 10 minutes it's down to 398, so 25 that ten minutes it did pick up a bit.

And a final ten minute test, went from 356 to 331. Pace of 150 an hour.

Y2Kev moderator on GAF says "you guys need a hobby, how about video games" LOL

Well they were both in stock together for a few minutes. PS4 sold its last 100 in a few minutes. According to a gaffer tracking units in stock the XB1 sold 6 in that time. Not sure how accurate Amazon's stock level is.

Well they were both in stock together for a few minutes. PS4 sold its last 100 in a few minutes. According to a gaffer tracking units in stock the XB1 sold 6 in that time. Not sure how accurate Amazon's stock level is.

well all the tests are in my posts, for that limited time frame anyway, ps4 was selling about 17 per minute, or 170 in ten minutes. xbo was selling 15-25 per ten minutes, at least right now, between 8-10 am or so on amazon.

for whatever little statistically thats worth with a million caveats of course.

-Also did a test with PS4 BF4 bundle while it's still in stock. Sold 47 in 5 minutes.

-another XBO test, 15 in 5 minutes.

h3CewVz.png

From GAF tracking Amazon today.

Once the demand from the "hardcore gamers" and the "always got to have the latest/newest gadget person" water well dries up, that's when the fun begins. Who has the momentum of carrying these sales over into the New Year and beyond. The only thing that I will say, is Sony could/should potentially succeed its 5 millions units sold goal in March.

What does stock represent? Stock Sales or stock availability?
PS4 combined should have touched zero stock if its the latter since every PS4 stock appears to be depleted at 17:30

After ~16:40 "PS4 combined" is same as the last remaining bundle (BF4?) and its red line is occluded. So yes, it was out of stock around 17:30.

h3CewVz.png

From GAF tracking Amazon today.

I made a cumulative sales chart from the same data.

zLgZajN.png

It's a shame no one tracked Xbone sales from the beginning.

Looking at cumulative sales in the period while both were tracked (almost no $399 PS4 sales included, only BF4 and KZ bundles)

m0IcgbP.png

It's a similar story.

Some extra statistics:

Xbox sold at a rate of 2.05 units per minute
PS4 sold at a rate of 10.75 per minute
PS4 solo sold at a rate of 17.56 per minute
PS4 bundles sold at a rate of 8.64 per minute

Well it's no surprise that demand seems to have slowed for the XB1 whilst the PS4 continues to sell out as fast as they can stock stores.

Now that's interesting. Earlier we learnt that adoption rate wasn't massive, like around 25% IIRC. For a million sales, either that adoption rate has changed (BF4 is borked so BF4 owners are getting KZSF instead :p), or PS4's are selling in considerable numbers (like 4 million already :oops:) or some mix of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back