All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers

Legend
Cause I like numbers....I assume dedicated separate NPD threads still will exist.

I saw an old Japan sales thread but it hasn't been posted in since 2011. Maybe with one thread it can get a bit more traffic. I may well be the main updater.

Here's something I just spotted on GAF to kick it off

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/12/02/xbox-one-dominates-playstation-4-in-black-friday-console-war/
According to data released Saturday by retail performance tracker InfoScout, Microsoft started out the holiday shopping season with a bang. InfoScout issued its combined console sales estimates for Walmart and Target and found that not only did Xbox One unit sales top the PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 sales did as well.

According to the firm’s data, which is based on the analysis of roughly 83,000 shopping receipts, the Xbox One was the best-selling console at Walmart and Target, accounting for 31 percent of home console sales despite its high price. Incredibly deep discounts on the Xbox 360 pushed it into the No. 2 spot with a 30 percent share of all sales. Together, the consoles combined to give Microsoft a whopping 61 percent of home console sales on Black Friday.

Mind you this seems mostly obviously predicated on less stock for PS4 vs X1. While Sony won the launch stock battle based on their sales press releases (1m, 2.1m), since then in the USA anecdotal evidence seems united that Xbox one has seen a good deal more refresh stock, which I think could make November NPD a close race. 360 seems to be enjoying solid PS2-like legs, I believe there were some $99 deals? If so, that's why you do a no hard drive model.

Target in canada had a pretty good deal on the 360. If you have a target visa or MC, it worked out to less than $80. ($139 - 5% - $40 target gift card and another $15 gift card if you spent more than $75= $77)

Walmart had a $50 gift card.

So at those prices it's not surprising the 360 was selling well.

XB1 and ps4 are just selling what they have.

Cause I like numbers....I assume dedicated separate NPD threads still will exist.

I saw an old Japan sales thread but it hasn't been posted in since 2011. Maybe with one thread it can get a bit more traffic. I may well be the main updater.

Here's something I just spotted on GAF to kick it off

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/12/02/xbox-one-dominates-playstation-4-in-black-friday-console-war/

Mind you this seems mostly obviously predicated on less stock for PS4 vs X1. While Sony won the launch stock battle based on their sales press releases (1m, 2.1m), since then in the USA anecdotal evidence seems united that Xbox one has seen a good deal more refresh stock, which I think could make November NPD a close race. 360 seems to be enjoying solid PS2-like legs, I believe there were some $99 deals? If so, that's why you do a no hard drive model.

That story from Gaf you got was locked for good reason.

http://techland.time.com/2013/12/02...at-sonys-playstation-4-in-black-friday-sales/

Its very likely that MS had more stock for blackfriday but so.. what does it mean?

Lets say MS shipped only 300k to Euro launch with 150k to UK. They only sold ~700k at NA launch vs 1M of Sonys.

So they would need to have over 300-400k (PS4 launch week + next week sales) more at black friday to match PS4 november sales. Sony is hinting sales of at least (1.4 outside EUR+AUS) 1.2M in USA after black friday

I think old consoles did pretty bad at november NPD. Nobody made a press release

Last edited by a moderator:
Its still too early for November NPD numbers. Check back on December 15 - 18 range.

Its still too early for November NPD numbers. Check back on December 15 - 18 range.

Thurs Dec 12

NPD is always "released" on thursday. Not sure what they release anymore but a multiplat software top ten and a statement. But of course GAF usually susses out some estimates for the hardware sales after a few hours.

The lack of BF sales PR from anybody (especially MS) is odd.

BF will probably boil down to people wanted the new consoles but can't finding them and the old consoles are already owned or old news. The bundles for the 360 and PS3 were good, but whole wants one that doesn't have one?

The only thing interesting will be software sales and how they discs did in the age of day-one-digital. My purchases were all discs, except BF4 which I got using the a BF PS3 digital sale and the PS3->PS4 upgrade deal.

At the store where I bought my PS4, the manager divulged that anyone trying to buy a machine today won't get it until some time in first quarter 2014, there's that big a waiting list right now.

The only thing interesting will be software sales and how they discs did in the age of day-one-digital.

I imagine a lot of game sales will be done digitally. The Vita is already seeing 45% of it's sales via DD from the press clips I've seen here and there. Hopefully NPD will be getting numbers from Sony (and Amazon or other Sony Digital Code sellers) and Microsoft for their digital sales. Otherwise I think NPD software sales numbers will become more meaningless.

The only thing interesting will be software sales and how they discs did in the age of day-one-digital

From Japan Numbers it varies lots per title from 1-2% digital up to 40% digital, the median is prolly around the 15% mark

I imagine a lot of game sales will be done digitally. The Vita is already seeing 45% of it's sales via DD from the press clips I've seen here and there.
Of the 13 games I've bought for my Vita only one (Uncharted) is on a card but for me this is more about the convenience of not having to carry (and risk misplacing) a dozen game cards.

I think mobile is a bit different but it will be interesting to see how this pans out for living room consoles. I avoided digital purchases on PS3 because it was slow as hell but in my experience (of buying Lego Marvel Super Heroes and Assassin's Creed 4 digitally) the PS4 is much better. Price will probably be the biggest factor and digital is more expensive.

Toys R US is stating they will have another batch of XB1 in stores on Sunday. They had a batch delivered just last weekend. Seems like MS is doing a pretty good job of getting XB1 in stores especially considering previous gens.

Going by stock-informer.com and nowinstock.com, Sony seems to chose GameStop, Walmart and New Egg as the retailers of choice at least for the 1st few days of December as it seems like they are only retailers that gets regular PS4 shipments since Black Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
BB is getting PS4 stock on Sunday, too.

Sony is probably shipping at least as many PS4s as Xbox Ones, they just have more countries to ship to. Demand for the PS4 is high in pretty much all markets.

I imagine a lot of game sales will be done digitally. The Vita is already seeing 45% of it's sales via DD from the press clips I've seen here and there. Hopefully NPD will be getting numbers from Sony (and Amazon or other Sony Digital Code sellers) and Microsoft for their digital sales. Otherwise I think NPD software sales numbers will become more meaningless.

I believe the Vita was up to 60% digital as of E3 this year. And honestly, unless you have an absolutely terrible connection or just love trading in your games, digital is the way to go. I do wish they had a solution for a reasonable amount of sharing which publishers could agree to, but I have zero intentions on every buying a game on a disc again on my Xbox One. Switching games via voice on both systems and/or full access to more than just the game in your console via Remote Play on the PS4 means that having a disc has limitations on modern consoles where you can instantly switch between games.

Vita is not a good model for home consoles. You don't want to carry micro game cards and swap them on a bus. This isn't a problem for a home consoles.

I was 100% digital on my Vita, but the card fills up fast and the recent sales on the physical version got me to buy those versions. Mercenaries for $20 and Resistance for $10 was incentive enough.

Xbox One does well in Australia

http://www.afr.com/p/technology/xbox_one_smashes_sales_records_yLa9DIIeFWDNqNGF8QPPQI

Microsoft’s Xbox One has been crowned the fastest-selling video game console to date in Australia, as its key rival, Sony, struggled to fulfil pre-orders for the PlayStation 4.

Market research firm NPD Group said a total of 65,917 Xbox One consoles were sold in its first three days on sale in Australia, more than doubling the *previous launch record for the *Nintendo Wii in 2006, and beating out previous records for number of consoles sold in a week.

Given the actual sales data that we have and the anecdotal evidence I've read, I think Sony shipped a lot more units than MS did for their respective North American launches. I say that because Sony sold-through as many units in North America alone than MS sold worldwide.

Anecdotal evidence tells me that MS is indeed doing a better job refilling the channel in the US (mainly because Sony has to re-supply far more countries), but also that the PS4 sells out a lot quicker when the US do get more PS4s. This is probably because of smaller shipments from Sony compared to MS, and that the demand is higher.

With that all said, I would not be surprised at all if the PS4 is outselling the X1 in the US. I agree with Pacther's PS4 numbers, but I think the X1 sold a bit more than 750K. December will be a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back