The hardware in Kinect 2.0 looks to be amazing where is the software to show it off?

I'll keep being the broken record. Why not.

Shooters could be AMAZING with kinect. The problem to tackle isn't how to use kinect to control the game, but rather how to redesign the controller to work seamlessly with kinect.

I'm convinced that is the missing key, and until addressed by MS or less likely a 3rd party, we will continue to hear "where are the revolutionary kinect gameplay mechanics" from the masses.

It isn't an insurmountable problem. Its just I'm afraid MS has been focused on the wrong problem.

Yep. 100% agreement.

The first step is to allow independent movement of left and right hands, and have enough inputs for each hand.

The fear of moving away from conventional controllers is enormous.

Aren't they going to give back some of the resources they had reserved back to games developers so that games have them for runtime?

Would that impact Kinect?

I think if developers had some revolutionary ideas with motion gaming, they would have surfaced by now. Not only with Kinect in its second iteration but the Wii was around for all those years.

At first, they were going to try to deliver more accurate tracking, 1 for 1 for tennis and golf games. Really didn't set the world on fire.

And MS built all these capabilities and flashy tech demos but so far, even their exclusive games aren't showing any completely new applications of motion control.

Aren't they going to give back some of the resources they had reserved back to games developers so that games have them for runtime?

Would that impact Kinect?

I think if developers had some revolutionary ideas with motion gaming, they would have surfaced by now. Not only with Kinect in its second iteration but the Wii was around for all those years.

At first, they were going to try to deliver more accurate tracking, 1 for 1 for tennis and golf games. Really didn't set the world on fire.

And MS built all these capabilities and flashy tech demos but so far, even their exclusive games aren't showing any completely new applications of motion control.

if they released Kinect only games at launch of the one and they weren't ready the hardcore would have killed them. Seriously killed them the one would have been dead in the water.

Its best if they focus right now on more core game experiances and refine the Kinect games for the holiday season.

As it stands my gf loves the Kinect fitness stuff , she is on it 4 times a week .

if they released Kinect only games at launch of the one and they weren't ready the hardcore would have killed them. Seriously killed them the one would have been dead in the water.

Its best if they focus right now on more core game experiances and refine the Kinect games for the holiday season.

As it stands my gf loves the Kinect fitness stuff , she is on it 4 times a week .
I think that if my Kinect broke on my Xbox One, I would TRULY miss it.

There is a very interesting Forbes article on Kinect, and why Microsoft shouldn't ditch it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/02/25/microsoft-shouldnt-ditch-the-xbox-one-kinect/

When will the pc version of xbox kinect 2.0 be available for the general public?
Microsoft said that they planned on selling Kinect 2 for PC and SDKs later this year, but this was months ago, I haven't heard nothing on the matter ever since.

Boogie2988, who used to not be convinced about Kinect, now is beginning to understand why it is there and how useful it can be.

Xbox One is really mind-staggering , say Project Spark developers.

http://www.xb1.co.uk/xbox-one-news/kinect-on-xbox-one-really-mind-staggering/

The video shows motion capture being performed in realtime on Kinect.

It's both very good and impressive, yet still glitchy (freak-out legs) and odd. Is the puppet-like motion a result of the Spark engine, or hows the data is being captured? I wonder if accuracy will improve over time, until we get full, accurate motion exactly like videoing a person?

At first, they were going to try to deliver more accurate tracking, 1 for 1 for tennis and golf games.
Microsoft should get a high grade golf swing simulator/analyser published for the XB1, not going to shift boxes but it would be good marketing for the Kinect 2.0 ...

Here's a better video...

Shows capturing of eyes, eyebrows, mouth & hands.

Tommy McClain

It's both very good and impressive, yet still glitchy (freak-out legs) and odd.
thats mind staggering, how many years has kinect been around, yet still the most basic of errors.
yes the glitches but also stuff like the arms occupying the same space for seconds at a time, they should of fixed this in software in 2010, start of 2011, and whats it now? 2014 and its still occuring

thats mind staggering, how many years has kinect been around, yet still the most basic of errors.
yes the glitches but also stuff like the arms occupying the same space for seconds at a time, they should of fixed this in software in 2010, start of 2011, and whats it now? 2014 and its still occuring

Are there devices that do it better that are sold at a similar price?

Here's a better video...

Shows capturing of eyes, eyebrows, mouth & hands.
It's quite apparent that the capturing isn't 1:1 yet. Kinect appears to get more of a best-fit pose, and the movement of the limbs isn't anywhere near as fluid as the source material. We also see physics glitches like the feet passing through the floor. Realtime body capture still has a way to go. I wonder what the limiting factor is?

Of course not. But one does have to wonder what's going on with the glitches. It seems like it should be easy enough with software to test for impossible movements and choose one's poses accordingly. If the skeleton jumps from standing to a leg flying out to the side in one frame, something has gone wrong and the choice of position should be something more realistic. That's the view of the armchair developer anyhow.

huh x double
but I'll ignore that
Im not talking about the device Im talking about the software

Its got a lot of lag, yet they have glitches where joints rapidly fly out to impossible angles (without breaking your leg) and then back again within a splitsecond
some simple math smoothing function would mitigate these (& with the lag its easy)
Also like I say impossible body postions, parts of the body entering other parts of the body etc
youve gotta wonder does MS only have a single (not very good) programmer(*) working on the
software

(*)possible the one that wrote most of the win8 app software, ok thats just cruel :p

It's quite apparent that the capturing isn't 1:1 yet. Kinect appears to get more of a best-fit pose, and the movement of the limbs isn't anywhere near as fluid as the source material. We also see physics glitches like the feet passing through the floor. Realtime body capture still has a way to go. I wonder what the limiting factor is?

Of course not. But one does have to wonder what's going on with the glitches. It seems like it should be easy enough with software to test for impossible movements and choose one's poses accordingly. If the skeleton jumps from standing to a leg flying out to the side in one frame, something has gone wrong and the choice of position should be something more realistic. That's the view of the armchair developer anyhow.

I guess it's just a matter of expectation, because I watch that vid and all I can think is how amazing it is that it actually works, and reasonably well.

I guess it's just a matter of expectation, because I watch that vid and all I can think is how amazing it is that it actually works, and reasonably well.
Yeah. If you're looking at it from an end user perspective, it's pretty incredible and high accuracy (>90%). But if you look at it from a coder/armchair analyst POV, you do have to wonder why the glitches that are present are present? It seems a bit of a no-brainer solution to eliminate the more serious spazzing out.

Back