Causes and cures for obese people *spawn

Now? What was in the past?
Reclaimed meat and additives, fillers, binders, flavour enhancers like MSG. Now it's 100% pure beef patty.

I am not going to argue with you about the quantity of two simple burgers- if I tell you that I feel difference and for example when I eat a big dish full of healthy food at home, then there is something indeed.
There are no additives in the UK burgers. If you don't feel full, that's just how your body responds to the food. I can eat a 500 kcal pasta dish and feel plenty full where other foods aren't as filling. A triple decker, peanut butter club sandwich I also find very filling. Whereas I can eat peanuts indefinitely without getting full, and have to watch how much I eat without waiting for some internal cue to say, "that's enough!" There are zero additives in a UK McD's that'll make you feel hungry after eating one.

Not to mention that my stomach needs time to get used to McDonald's shit and almost everytime I have a stomachache afterwards
I can only go by the official nutritional info for McDonald's food. It's 100% pure beef with salt and pepper added for flavouring. The bun is made in the UK from British wheat. If it's only McDonald's burgers that upset you and no other burgers, that's either some odd reaction to maybe their oil, or its psychosomatic because people associate McD's with junk food. McD's (in the UK) is no more junk then a beef steak and fried potatoes served up in a restaurant. Either that or McD's have smuggled something under the FSA's nose.

Chinese eat more vegetables? LMAO!
heres me 14 mar this year in singapore
BFXCPBvCEAAzZ5c.jpg:large

heres me 7 weeks later in thailand, prolly about 13kg lighter
BKxofDOCAAEl_DM.jpg:large

what did I eat mainly during the time?
1. No vegetables (perhaps once a week I saw something green), ask any vegetarian in malaysia its hard to find in the country, its mainly meat,rice
2. lots of junk food, conservatively 5x what I normally eat
3. less exercise than normal

what happened then? well due to the heat of each day being 35deg but with the very high humidity the heat factor is 45+ degrees I only felt like eating once or twice a day

btw macdonalds etc aint 100% pure beef, do you think it comes off the cow looking like that? Surely thats an indication its processed

btw macdonalds etc aint 100% pure beef, do you think it comes off the cow looking like that? Surely thats an indication its processed
It's cuts of forequarter and flank minced. It's 100% beef just as french fries are 100% potato even though they don't come out of the ground looking like that. I can only speak for the UK though - I've heard that it changes from country to country, and in some countries McD's is really poor stuff.

IIRC 1 Cal = 1,000 cal in the USA, at least. Maybe it was a way to avoid metric terminology. :)

In general I would say that we would all I agree that processed foods are best avoided. If something comes out of a factory then it is probably not good for you. Apart from that there really is no consistent advice except to do what works for you.

This is the sort of thing where nutrition is so divided that I don't think anyone knows what's what really. I was chatting with a girl a few months back and she had been told by her doctor that not eating breakfast would take five years off her life. So we have two experts giving completely the opposite nutritional advice. One of them, or both, is wrong, but good luck getting either of them to question their POV! ;)

One is clearly not an expert since they thought exercise has nothing to do with obesity. It is so freaking obvious that is incorrect that anyone espousing the view that carbs or X is to blame instead of sedentary lifestyle and too high of caloric intake is a very foolish individual.

One is clearly not an expert since they thought exercise has nothing to do with obesity. It is so freaking obvious that is incorrect that anyone espousing the view that carbs or X is to blame instead of sedentary lifestyle and too high of caloric intake is a very foolish individual.

This.

Simple Physics. Work is the integral of force times distance and represents the energy you burn. Most of that which isn't burned will be stored for later use to prevent starvation in evolutionary famine periods because your body is smart that way. You simply cannot run a calorie surplus without gaining weight. It might be muscle (if you're active) or fat (if your not), but you will gain weight. The long-term ketosis theory is hugely unhealthy (ask Atkins) and will catabalize muscle over fat anyway so that you'll be a flabby, unhealthy beast. Get a fitbit, walk 20,000 steps per day, do something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.

Exercise is doubly beneficial since not only do you burn calories, but active muscles are great at absorbing excess glucose, storing it and releasing when needed, putting less load on your insulin system.

I started biking to and from work 3½ months ago, I no longer have insulin induced crashes (feeling drousy) after my evening supper. I've also lost 7 kg. I eat as much as I used to; lots of curries and italian food (rice, pasta and bread)

IMO, Low carb diets work because the food you're allowed to eat aligns more with what people really want to eat, lessening the chance of people bailing out.

Cheers

Exercise is doubly beneficial since not only do you burn calories, but active muscles are great at absorbing excess glucose, storing it and releasing when needed, putting less load on your insulin system.

Although muscles will help in lowering blood sugar faster, muscles don't really put less load on the insulin system, because insulin is what puts glucose into the muscles. Muscles also don't release the stored glycogen back to the bloodstream but they use that energy only locally (despite what Wikipedia says), liver has the ability to take in and release glucose.

Although muscles will help in lowering blood sugar faster, muscles don't really put less load on the insulin system, because insulin is what puts glucose into the muscles.

It puts less load on the insulin system because it vastly increases the insulin sensitivity of muscles. Glucose uptake is dependent on GLUT4 translocation in cell membranes. Muscle activity increase the GLUT4 expression in muscle cell membranes, increasing sensitivity. Thus sugar is removed from the blood stream more rapidly and with less insulin required.

There is a whole bunch of papers on this issue (examples: here, here and here)

During exercise, glucagon levels increase and insulin levels decrease. This causes the liver to dump glucose into the blood stream to feed muscles (and the central nervous system). If muscles were solely dependent on insulin for glucose uptake they couldn't absorb this - but they do.

Muscles also don't release the stored glycogen back to the bloodstream but they use that energy only locally (despite what Wikipedia says), liver has the ability to take in and release glucose.

True. However during low activity, the skeletal muscles metabolise fatty acids before glycogen/glucose. The glucose from the liver is only needed to power the brain.

During activity skeletal muscles cause transamination of pyruvate (produced from glucose by glycolysis) into alanine. Alanine (and lactate) can be converted into glucose by the liver, which can then release the glucose into the blood stream where it might flow back to the muscles, - or the brain.

Cheers

It puts less load on the insulin system because it vastly increases the insulin sensitivity of muscles. Glucose uptake is dependent on GLUT4 translocation in cell membranes. Muscle activity increase the GLUT4 expression in muscle cell membranes, increasing sensitivity. Thus sugar is removed from the blood stream more rapidly and with less insulin required.

There is a whole bunch of papers on this issue (examples: here, here and here)

During exercise, glucagon levels increase and insulin levels decrease. This causes the liver to dump glucose into the blood stream to feed muscles (and the central nervous system). If muscles were solely dependent on insulin for glucose uptake they couldn't absorb this - but they do.

Ok you probably know more about that than me. I thought you meant muscles absorb glucose from the bloodstream without insulin involvement.

I'm not even a little bit literate on the field of nutritionism, but I do have an opinion on the matter of obesity vs. exercise/food intake for personal experience.

Perhaps I had bad luck with my nutritionist, or perhaps I'm too inflexible regarding what I eat, but my one and only consultation with a nutritionist was a disaster. And now I don't trust the profession at all.
Starting with the definition of "obese". She started by weighing me and measuring my height and called me obese.
I'm technically obese because my weight-height ratio is above some predefined standards.

Now I know I don't have a perfect "Men's Health" body. I do know I have some excess fat.
The thing is: I go to the gym 3/4x a week, always to have exercises and assisted classes that are directed at loosing body fat (or the technically inaccurate term "muscle toning").
I exclusively do exercises that consist in low charge with lots of repetitions like doing cardio, TRX and Body Pump.
During my entire lifetime, I never did any exercise to increase my muscle volume (before the gym, I did waterpolo)... but life isn't really fair, we all have a different DNA.. and I just happen to end up with large muscles. And a proportionally large weight. Arms/shoulders won't fit in every shirt even though the abdomen part is loose and legs won't fit in all pants where the waist is good.
Plus, whenever I'm sick and stop going to the gym for more than a week, I start losing weight (despite eating a lot more because I'm bored at home).

I practically only eat salads at lunch during the week and at night we make sure not to over-eat (I suffer from insomnia so over-eating at dinner is forbidden for me, when I have to get up early the next day). I do one or two "excess meals" a week during the weekend, maybe some popcorn in the movies twice a month and that's it. Nonetheless, I end up with ~91Kg for my 1,76m height.

Right after the "You're obese!" statement, both me and my girlfriend looked at her with the most stupified faces ever. I'm probably the most critical person about my own body in the world, but I most certainly do not look like someone I would think of when thinking of the word "obese". People laugh every time I tell "obese story" in person.

But she continued nonetheless, and the rest of the consultation was even worse. After hearing our eating habits, the woman told me that as a long-term solution, I could only do "one screw-up a week". I asked if that meant one "screw-up meal" to which she replied "No. One screw-up."
This means, there was this one meal every week where I could choose either I could have some fries or a larger beef or cake for dessert (she actually described things this way).

From that point on, I just stopped paying any attention to what the woman was saying. Or anything any nutritionist ever said, to be honest.
I started by getting an "obese" stamp at the start for measuring weight and height and after that I was immediately treated to a diet that would be directed to someone we see in "The Biggest Looser". No regard was ever given to my fat percentage or muscle mass, just height and weight leading to "stop eating you fattie!".
So I guess all the bodybuilders in the world are morbidly obese. Because they certainly have a higher BMI than I do.

So I say screw nutritionism and nutritionists. I feel fine. I feel healthy. Despite always wanting to be smaller and defined, I like what I see in the mirror. I give all I've got when I'm in the gym, sweat a lot, feel great afterwards.
But I do enjoy eating a lot once in a while. I love good food, always will. If nutritionists are right after all and I should be making one screw-up a week, then maybe I will die young for being obese. Fuck it, at least I lived happily.

Regarding the "exercise has no effect on being obese", I can't really comment on the obese factor because I think its own definition (BMI) is stupid.
What I do know is that, at least on me, exercising has a lot of influence on being fat or not.
A couple of years ago when I had surgery to my foot and couldn't exercise for ~3 months, I got really fat even though my eating habits didn't change much and my weight wasn't that much different from what I have now. Shirts felt tight in the abdomen, pants wouldn't fit in the waist. Going back to the gym solved that in a couple of months.
No matter what pretty studies have been made (now I'm referring to the OP), I can't help but stand by the notion that burning fat through exercise helps people to stop being fat. I couldn't care less to what that means to BMI or obesity, for the above reasons.

You went to an utter crap nutritionist. I have a sports nutritionist who knows very well that muscular body types don't fit the standard classes for obese, etc. because they're based on height vs. weight. A good nutritionist (including mine) only classifies body type by use of displacement (gas or water) techniques to determine body fat %. Most muscular builds will be categorized as "obese" or "overweight" by standard BMI scales designed for sedentary or thin people, but a true bodyfat measurement (not calipers - that's baloney) will tell the truth and anything below 20% is not obese for a human male.

I practically only eat salads at lunch during the week and at night we make sure not to over-eat (I suffer from insomnia so over-eating at dinner is forbidden for me, when I have to get up early the next day). I do one or two "excess meals" a week during the weekend, maybe some popcorn in the movies twice a month and that's it. Nonetheless, I end up with ~91Kg for my 1,76m height.

Right after the "You're obese!" statement, both me and my girlfriend looked at her with the most stupified faces ever. I'm probably the most critical person about my own body in the world, but I most certainly do not look like someone I would think of when thinking of the word "obese". People laugh every time I tell "obese story" in person.

She doesn't take your waist measurement ? I'm similar to you, I am about 100kg plus minus 2-3 kg on a 178 cm height. Yep I am classified as obese, heck the doctor even called me in to do some checkup. The doctor took my waist measurement and it is 31", I told him my waist has been that size since my teen. He told me that BMI is just an easy screening process and is true for most of the populous. So if you have obese BMI they take you in for further tests, you know to be on the safe side.

I know that being obese and fat is bad for your health. Is being obese and muscular bad for you too ? My BMI is 32 which makes me obese. I'm not ripped like bodybuilder but my bodyfat is around 12% since I was a teen, abs is visible since puberty. I guess I'm pretty strong too.

My diet is not the best, I skip breakfast, don't eat or drink till like pass 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Normally I'll eat two bowls of rice plus some meat and veg in a broth and top it off with some fruits and milk for lunch. Dinner around 8 o'clock, I normally have three to four bowls of rice either a whole chicken, a whole fish (eg Salmon), a kilo of turkey, beef, lamb or pork with lots of vegetables (whatever in season or frozen mix will do) and then fruits (again whatever in season) and milk afterward.

My favor cooking method is steaming because it's easy since I can throw, the rice, meat and veg into the steamer and it'll be done ready to eat without much effort and it makes food taste good without much seasoning or at all. I don't trimmed the fat of my meat or removed the skin of my chicken. I don't know how much calories I consumed daily, but some of my friends that seen me eat my dinner say I'm crazy.

I don't drink soft drinks or snacks on junk food or sweets for that matter. I do try to eat healthy. But here I'm, BMI of 32. Obese. So far no health problem, but will I develop health problem as I get older if I keep this up ? Advice ?

Back