Formula 1 - 2014 Season

The UK commentary was pointing out that, to let Rosberg pass, Hamilton would have needed to slow down and lose the best part of 2 seconds on a lap. As he was closing in on Alonso, this would have been a nonsensical move, even if it hurt Rosberg's chances.

The UK commentary was pointing out that, to let Rosberg pass, Hamilton would have needed to slow down and lose the best part of 2 seconds on a lap. As he was closing in on Alonso, this would have been a nonsensical move, even if it hurt Rosberg's chances.

Let's keep that in mind when it's the other way around. A stunning race from Hamilton and another example on just how incredible a driver Alonso is.

And am I the only one who is wondering how it would have been at red Bull with Daniel during those 4 championships

Like it would even be an issue the other way round, Hamilton would just pass him.

If I was Hamilton, I'd jump ship. Doubt Mercedes will be top dogs next season and they clearly want Rosberg to win.

Like it would even be an issue the other way round, Hamilton would just pass him.

If I was Hamilton, I'd jump ship. Doubt Mercedes will be top dogs next season and they clearly want Rosberg to win.

Like he passed Alonso?

Or go senna on him right? If Rosberg wanted he could have closed the race when Hamilton pushed him of track. But he is not going senna.

Like it would even be an issue the other way round, Hamilton would just pass him. If I was Hamilton, I'd jump ship. Doubt Mercedes will be top dogs next season and they clearly want Rosberg to win.

Hamilton had one of the two best cars in the race. He could not pass Alonso, although he has severe tire problems. He got passed by Ricciardo. He risked a crash to keep Rosberg behind him.

At the moment, Hamilton is not very strong imo. He seems to be unfocused. I have seen him stronger. If he doesn't get his performance back up, he'll get replaced next year. There are rumors that Mercedes is in discussion with Vettel...although obviously denied by Lauda.

Hamilton started from the pit lane and managed a podium finish and also had a podium finish last week when starting from 20th, but isn't very strong at the moment? Sorry, that doesn't make sense.

No real surprise he couldn't get past Alonso - he'd locked up the tyres quite a few times in his pursuit (and defence against Rosberg) so his tyres were basically knackered by that point as well.

Not forgetting he was on the primes, therefore had much less grip anyway.

Nice to see the Hamilton hate still in full swing here though lol.

If Hamilton caught up with Rosberg by half a second a lap, he would pass him before he knew it was happening. Just look at Verge, Rosberg sat behind him for several laps, Hamilton passed him in seconds.

That was a truly fantastic race with all kinds of incidents and accidents (happily no-one got hurt).

Ricciardo is really feisty, it is a pleasure to see him even though he overtook my man Alonso.

Too bad we have a break now, I want to watch more racing! :)

Edit: On Hamilton v. Rosberg team orders, I think Hamilton was in the right. Rosberg wasn't close enough and he shouldn't just sit back and expect results to be given to him for nothing. Still, there will probably be a tense debrief in the team. Remember that Mercedes felt sympathy for Hamilton due to the technical difficulties. Lewis should, IMHO, get away with it since Rosberg still leads the championship.

Hamilton started from the pit lane and managed a podium finish and also had a podium finish last week when starting from 20th, but isn't very strong at the moment? Sorry, that doesn't make sense.
Apparently his tally from the last 4 races is 50 passes for position in the over the last 4 races!

Come on guys. You really count all those passes against much much weaker cars? Did you see how fast Rosberg was in the beginning of the race...he had 9sec before the safety car.

In comparison to most cars, the Mercs are in a different league...so, I am not that impressed that a Merc pilot starts from pit lane and finishs on podium.

It is like you are playing an ROG and celebrate that you killed already 50 rats! But how many tries did you need for the level bosses?

I did watch how he drove against the better pilots - and just state that I saw him stronger - he typically is a pilot that passes within a handful curves.

Furthermore, starting from pitlane also was positive yesterday, as they could change the car setup to better fit the wet situation, as his car was not in the park fermé.

And btw, there is no Ham hate going on?!? Not sure D12 where this nonsense is coming from. Why should I hate Ham? Why should I hate a F1 driver?? Because he can hug Scherzinger, and I can't???

Last edited by a moderator:
Not forgetting he was on the primes, therefore had much less grip anyway.

Nice to see the Hamilton hate still in full swing here though lol.

If Hamilton caught up with Rosberg by half a second a lap, he would pass him before he knew it was happening. Just look at Verge, Rosberg sat behind him for several laps, Hamilton passed him in seconds.

Hate? that is really low. Hamilton got all the breaks he needed in this race, wet race, safety car etc. And there is examples on how Hamilton caught up to Rosberg before without being able to pass on tracks that are more open than the Hungaroring, lets not make him into a Schumacher.

His personal style and the way he acts in public, like the low blow on rich kid Rosberg is what attracts the negative attention. If he wanted to be the most hungry on the track he shouldn't feed Rosberg hunger like he has done so far. And one look at the private jets, boats, super girlfriends etc. that Lewis is accustomed to could argue that Lewis hunger was over a long time ago, while Rosberg is the one with the real hunger :)

To me Hamilton is one of those drivers that carries to much emotion into the races, that makes him spectacular and entertaining, but it´s also a liability when it comes to the championship, you really need a cool head to stay ahead when the 19 races are over.

Btw, anyone know if his album ever got released?

http://instagram.com/p/c0cFHKL07P/
http://instagram.com/p/c5YYqsL01q/
http://instagram.com/p/cARbGdL0yN/
http://instagram.com/p/b9wwVhL0-l/

Hate? that is really low. Hamilton got all the breaks he needed in this race, wet race, safety car etc. And there is examples on how Hamilton caught up to Rosberg before without being able to pass on tracks that are more open than the Hungaroring, lets not make him into a Schumacher.

Except his car catching fire in qualifying...

Then you've seen a different race. Au contraire ..

I saw: Ham did not let Ros pass, although team ordered him to do so. Different time, different place: Ros let Ham win. I am really no friend of team orders, so I was happy that Ham didn't care. But as an observer: it did cost Ros a lot time.

I saw: Ros tried to pass Ham, Ham pushed Ros nearly out of track. Not illegal of course...but also his only chance to keep him behind...Ros was way faster and the Hungaroring helped Ham in this case. At the end of the race, Ros was faster.

Look, Ham also did some smart moves this race:

1.) he didn't fight back Ric...Ric was at this time faster, but more important, Ric does not have to look at the championship, he can take all risk. Ham needs to keep a cool head and score as many points as possible without risking everything - this was smart.

2.) he did fight Ros, his immediate competitor until the edge...this was smart, because when both go out, nothing changes for the driver championship...the high risk is justified. Furthermore, it is psychologically very important to show Ros his bounds.

3.) Alonso was a difficult case: Alonso does not look at the championship. Alonso can take all risk it seems. But then, Ferrari needs points and a good result, Alonso too- not sure if this would have affected Alonso. So it is the question how much risk he would take while blocking Ham. He further really don't like Ham. But on the other hand, his car was really really slow...I was dissapointed that Ham did not pass Alonso, a real challenge in comparison to all the other passes imho.

Except his car catching fire in qualifying...

And he also made a big mistake in the first round, which could have cost him the race - I was astounded that such an experienced driver is surprised by cold brakes.

Starting from pit lane, imo, this time was not such a big disadvantage. But of course, I hope we all agree, that in such a chaotic race, a bit luck is needed. Ros e.g. Had bad luck with the safety car.

No real surprise he couldn't get past Alonso - he'd locked up the tyres quite a few times in his pursuit (and defence against Rosberg) so his tyres were basically knackered by that point as well.

He had two safety cars and a car that is easily a second a lap faster than most other cars to help him so no it really wasn't that incredible a performance.

Alonso's tyres were gone as well by the way.

And he also made a big mistake in the first round, which could have cost him the race - I was astounded that such an experienced driver is surprised by cold brakes.

Starting from pit lane, imo, this time was not such a big disadvantage. But of course, I hope we all agree, that in such a chaotic race, a bit luck is needed. Ros e.g. Had bad luck with the safety car.

Starting form the pit lane was a major disadvantage for the exact reason he went off, really cold brakes on a quite cold day. Brakes are smaller this year so when they are cold they have even less performance then previous years.

When push came to shove Rossberg couldn't do what was needed to be done ( pass Vergne). even with the safety car he should have won, he didn't get the job done no one else.

2nd safety car ruined ricciardo's plan, but when push came to shove he got the job done.

For me Ricciardo is becoming a true star. It helps that he's consistently beating Vettel. :)

Starting form the pit lane was a major disadvantage for the exact reason he went off, really cold brakes on a quite cold day. Brakes are smaller this year so when they are cold they have even less performance then previous years. When push came to shove Rossberg couldn't do what was needed to be done ( pass Vergne). even with the safety car he should have won, he didn't get the job done no one else. 2nd safety car ruined ricciardo's plan, but when push came to shove he got the job done.

Don't get me wrong...I have never stated that Rosberg did a particular good race. In fact, it was imo a very bad race of him and he should have easily won. That is also the reason he was so disappointed in the interview after the race - he knew that this was a bad performance.

Imo, Rosberg is a very good driver...but only on some particular tracks. On other tracks, he is noticeable worse and often fails to deliver. Starting Hungaroring from pole, sitting in the fastest car and finishing only 4th...not good.

Furthermore, he needs some kind of mental coach to train his aggressiveness, which might help him passing other drivers, such as Ham.

Back