Formula 1 - 2014 Season

Daniel Ricciardo's Red Bull goes up in smoke during Jerez F1 testing

Red Bull, with Vettel driving, have managed only 11 laps on the opening three days. After Thursday there are nine days of testing remaining before the opening grand prix in Australia on 16 March.
On the first two days of testing those cars powered by Renault engines (Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Caterham) completed 38 laps, compared with the 248 runs by Mercedes engines. There appears to be an energy store problem with the Renault, though on top of that Red Bull might have turbo glitch all of their own.
Toro Rosso, Red Bull's support team who are also powered by Renault, having moved from Ferrari, did not run at all on Tuesday. They did put in an appearance on Thursday morning but the car sounded wheezy.
Renault appears to have some issues, can't say that bothers me. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
My top 3 for car aesthetics;

1- Mclaren
2- Mercedes AMG Petronas
3- Sauber

But even they could use some work.
I agree with your choices and order but on the topic of "further work", I gotta say that McLaren is a thing of beauty too my eyes (including the nose).
Poster worthy even of which I'm making here to decorate my new flat.
That being said beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I do wear glasses. :???:

yeah, would like to see another angle, the red bull looks ok against a black/shaded background too when you could see the blob.

marussia-mr03-pance.jpg

Still has a dildo stuck on, so still butt ugly.

nuova-marussia-2014.jpg

One thing that I haven't quite figured out (even with all the articles explaining it) is why all the "anteater" solutions need to protrude ahead the front wing edge while those with low noses (Merc and Ferrari) start at or after the leading edge of the front wing. [Edit] Seems the Caterham nose start pretty close to the wing edge as well.

In theory is to stop cars going up in the air when they rear end another car which has happened once or twice recently. Newey seems to think they've solved one problem with another though so who knows. He believes the car being hit could be lifted now.

I know the reasoning behind the rule changes and what the FIA want to get from this change, but thats not explaining why most of the "anteaters" are well ahead of the front wing, while the full low nose solutions start at or behind the front wing edge.

A lot of the new noses seem like they've attempted to do something as similar as possible as last year and then just extending it to meet the regulations with a long narrow bit in the front.

I'm sorry but it's 95% the same. That small difference in the slope doesn't suddenly make the Merc good looking and the Ferrari ugly. I doubt you can see a real difference when the cars are racing.

That 5% is the ugly bit. We aren't calling Alonso ugly just the car he's going to drive so don't get defensive about it

Thats like saying this girl you know makes you want to vomit even though she only looks 5% different from the most beautiful woman you know.

No it's like saying the girl with the bent nose is more ugly than the girl who's nose is just a touch unpleasant

Fair enough. But the girl with the bent nose is still better looking than the girl with a penis attached to her face.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
You guys are so funny :LOL:

They don't need to explain anything, the worse they are doing from now on, the better for everyone (else)

Ecclestone upset by F1 engine woes

Bernie Ecclestone has dismissed the sport's new V6 turbo era as "completely unnecessary nonsense" after Renault engine woes sidelined champions Red Bull in pre-season testing.

:D

Why am I not surprised by the old whining sissy's reaction? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised that the cars with the pointed noses passed the crash tests and the side impact tests on other cars. I would think that these cars hitting other cars on the side where the driver is, has a good change of going through the side and into the driver.

I'm surprised that the cars with the pointed noses passed the crash tests and the side impact tests on other cars. I would think that these cars hitting other cars on the side where the driver is, has a good change of going through the side and into the driver.

They passed these tests because pointy noses are designed not to pierce on impact, just crumble and shatter absorbing energy.

What can happen is instead of previous years cars lifting front wheels up when rear ending another car they possibly can pick up the rear of the car in front and hit drivers head with it. I'm not sure if this new solution to prevent Mark Webbers type of accidents is not fixing one thing and breaking another.

Yet the report only points to one driver that says this, and the comment comes from the reduction of aero, which periodically happens anyway. Autosport points out that the times posted last week were back to what they were in 2001, and given these are "easing" around at the moment there's probably quite a bit of time to pick up.

The flip-side is:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9149963/Massa-Cars-will-be-going-sideways

Those changes have resulted in more torque for the 1.6-litre V6 turbocharged engines and less downforce. Put those two together and fans can expect to see cars sliding.

"We will see a lot of sideways this year," Massa explained to ESPN.

"I think, for sure, you are going to see the cars sliding more because you have less grip.

"With less grip and more torque sometimes, in the corner, you go sideways because of torque steer. You have wheelspin where the car slides more.

Yet the report only points to one driver that says this, and the comment comes from the reduction of aero, which periodically happens anyway. Autosport points out that the times posted last week were back to what they were in 2001, and given these are "easing" around at the moment there's probably quite a bit of time to pick up.

The flip-side is:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9149963/Massa-Cars-will-be-going-sideways

That will wear the tires out so I doubt that will be the norm.

And the sound is a joke..

2014 Pirelli compounds are harder specifically because of the additional torque. That's an additional reason for the current speed decrease.

Fair point, but I fear that they will still wear our to fast. And if they do we all know how they will have to tiptoe around the tracks..

Back