Quantum Break Digital Molecular Matter "extremely versatile destruction system"

Alucardx23

Regular
Pixelux Entertainment announced today that Remedy Entertainment is the first to use the new Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) Playback System for high quality in-game destruction in their upcoming Xbox One Title, "Quantum Break". Microsoft showed "Quantum Break" during its May 21st Xbox One presentation as one of the launch titles for its new console..

DMM is a deformation-based fracture system that simulates the physical properties of any material using finite element analysis. If a structure exists - big or small, dense or thin, floppy or rigid - DMM causes it to react in the same way as dictated by reality. For example, wood doesn't simply break along a predetermined seam every time - rather, it bends and splinters into pieces from the point of impact. The same rules apply to any substance imaginable: rubber bends and snaps back into place. Glass shatters. Steel dents and bends. Plastic deforms. DMM can even simulate plants and organic objects through the adjustment of 14 different material physics settings ranging from toughness to volume preservation.

DMM has been incorporated into a Maya plugin that can be used to author very high-end destruction scenes. To date, over 20 feature films, commercials and even TV series have had key destruction sequences created using DMM technology.

The DMM Playback system allows 3-dimensional animations produced with the DMM plugin to be played back in-game with real-time performance. DMM Playback makes use of GPU-acceleration to minimize CPU overhead.

"DMM has played a key role in shaping Quantum Break, our vision of next-gen entertainment. We have been able to simulate complex scenarios on a scale that hasn't been possible before and then allow players experience them in real time. Can't wait to show the world more of what we're able to do!", said Mikko Uromo, Tech Team Lead at Remedy Entertainment.

http://www.pixelux.com/Remedy-QuantumBreak2013.html?id=20614102&siteID=123112&linkID=9242259
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Molecular_Matter

Last edited by a moderator:
simulate complex scenarios on a scale that hasn't been possible before and then allow players experience them in real time

My take is, that like with Ryse, the cutscenes will be pre-rendered, the destruction as well, but when the gameplay starts (seamlessly), the destruction will be 'paused' and you can walk through the scene, but every thing that you touch has physics so to the average xbox fan, it will feel like everything happened in realtime. but the physics are probably pre-calculated so that everything is 'in position' when the gameplay finally starts

My take is, that like with Ryse, the cutscenes will be pre-rendered, the destruction as well, but when the gameplay starts (seamlessly), the destruction will be 'paused' and you can walk through the scene, but every thing that you touch has physics so to the average xbox fan, it will feel like everything happened in realtime. but the physics are probably pre-calculated so that everything is 'in position' when the gameplay finally starts

If it's anything like the trailer, it will really impressive.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7344/9464596957_28ca72205e_o.gif
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2894/9464611801_060ee649e6_o.gif
http://i.minus.com/iCjAtAipFZ1wG.gif
http://i.minus.com/idmId5ZcF8v0y.gif

I'm personally looking forward to seeing more of this tech coming through. Maybe it'll be a good use of the GPGPU functionality of the next-gen machines.

Realistic deformation of objects based on their material should be fantastic.

That's also what I get from the keyword "playback".

Neither of you has even a cursory knowledge of anything related to the topic. Why even post? Have some shame. As per the topic, I'm interested to see what they do. Hopefully, they can make the technology augment the game play in a meaningful way.

The official website does spell out a prerendered (via Maya) destruction and rendering of that in game. It doesn't say if the created objects are independent elements with rigid-bodies or not. Sounds like they've taken a significant detour from the original vision though, and moved into Hollywood instead, with DMM Player being a step back from Hollywood.

Neither of you has even a cursory knowledge of anything related to the topic. Why even post? Have some shame. As per the topic, I'm interested to see what they do. Hopefully, they can make the technology augment the game play in a meaningful way.

I'm glad you have such insight from one sentence/statement. Out of any real-time tech coverage, I've never seen the word "playback" used. If you have, please PM me some links. The word "playback" would never be an accurate term to describe a real-time event.

Does this open a path to fully destructible environments like the ones from Red Faction?

I think you should take all that immense knowledge you have, open two notepads in windows, and then simulate a forum conversation between you and yourself. You can then take all the magnificent knowledge that results from that and save the conversation for you to read and enjoy for the posteriority.

Just don't bother to share it with us feeble forum lurkers. We couldn't possibly understand all that greatness, ever.

I want to see this in action. Did a search on YouTube and found this.

Too bad I purchased this game on Games on Demand and never played it ever since. Had I knew it featured that technology I'd play it for sure a little more. I just played it for about 10 minutes, and now my Xbox 360 is a little abandoned in the living room -I live alone for now and I only play games in my room-.

I hadn't encountered anything special about that game -tech wise- but it sounds phenomenal for the current gen.

Back