Impact of Corrinne Yu for ND/PS4?

The new Halo will run at 60fps; resolution is at this time unspecified but there's a good chance it won't be 1080p. This represents a 2x to 4x increase in number of rendered pixels already, so there's about 2x-4x rendering performance left to utilize at most (and I doubt that they'll stay at 720p, 900p is more likely). If they simply just max out what the current renderer can do (proper shadowing, lighting etc) then it's already about as much as the hardware is capable of.

Of course the heaps of extra memory will also be spent, on more textures, more detailed meshes and probably more enemies in large scenes, too, but apart from that I don't really see much need for new developments.

Which was probably the idea anyway - 343 has 2 years to produce the sequel and that's not much. So they developed a lot of tech that was meant to be scalable to the new platform, like their facial animation system (not much is known about the rest of the engine, except that it's mostly based on the H3/Reach engines). They've also layed down the groundwork for the Forerunner race and have enough conflict to last them for the rest of a new trilogy.

The new Halo will run at 60fps; resolution is at this time unspecified but there's a good chance it won't be 1080p. This represents a 2x to 4x increase in number of rendered pixels already, so there's about 2x-4x rendering performance left to utilize at most (and I doubt that they'll stay at 720p, 900p is more likely). If they simply just max out what the current renderer can do (proper shadowing, lighting etc) then it's already about as much as the hardware is capable of.

Of course the heaps of extra memory will also be spent, on more textures, more detailed meshes and probably more enemies in large scenes, too, but apart from that I don't really see much need for new developments.

Which was probably the idea anyway - 343 has 2 years to produce the sequel and that's not much. So they developed a lot of tech that was meant to be scalable to the new platform, like their facial animation system (not much is known about the rest of the engine, except that it's mostly based on the H3/Reach engines). They've also layed down the groundwork for the Forerunner race and have enough conflict to last them for the rest of a new trilogy.

quite offtopic, but imagine the reach engine scaled up for next gen

It'd be an... interesting beast with its mix of forward / deferred renderers and other specialities.
Oh wait, it's called Destiny?

Perhaps - she left the cult therefore her work is no good anymore??? Just like Insomniac games aren't good anymore for PS3 cultists?

Or maybe not. But it is the first time I read an opinion that Halo 4 visuals are anything but outstanding.

Nope. You simply ignored the original posts. Go read the Halo4 thread and find all the original very critical posts where many of us longtime Halo players exclaimed our disdain of how they messed up the entire series. I know my sentiments have not changed. There is no revisionism going on with my opinion.

It's a defence reaction. People feel threatened by change, especially when the change is perceived to give a distinct advantage to something they have a negative emotional attachment to.

Nope. Go read the Halo4 thread. This is no change of view because she is leaving. The change of view came at the time of the cluster of a game they released as Halo4.

To be honest, if she "did" the Halo4 engine, then I'd much rather have one of the Halo1/2/3/reach guys on my team.

To be honest, if she "did" the Halo4 engine, then I'd much rather have one of the Halo1/2/3/reach guys on my team.

Halo 4 does not measured up to the original Halo CE or the Anniversary edition. And it also falls short of Reach.

So she might be talented, etc, but I would rather mourn the loss of Bungie than someone from 343i.

If this is indeed a big loss I suggest MS call up the Sabre engine people. I think they are quite capable...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber_Interactive

To be fair I think Halo 4 fell down in a bunch of areas completely unrelated to the engine.

But frankly I can't say it awed me over Reach or Halo CE Anniversary.

Halo CE and Reach were a labor of love. Halo 4 feels like a corporate task and a clone.

Oh, I see, it's more about Bungie enthusiasts disliking change. That's OK with me, just don't let anyone reading this thread believe that this is the consensus about the game...

Oh, I see, it's more about Bungie enthusiasts disliking change. That's OK with me, just don't let anyone reading this thread believe that this is the consensus about the game...

Have you actually played the game and not just sit in admiration of still shots? Have you played the previous Halo games? It seems as if you haven't at all. If you did, you'd understand why we say it's ugly. The majority of the time you're being blinded by bloom or the completely inconsistent environment lighting or even the overall environment artwork. A large portion of the environment / buildings are incoherent. It's like a frankenstein environment. Some nice bits and pieces here and there but as a whole it's a total mess. It's a truly horrible and broken game that looks to suffer from trade-offs forced by engine requirements.

Alright, last post from me on the cluster that is Halo 4.

Oh yeah, and as for consensus, look at the actual player counts of people playing Halo 4. It's rather anemic, so I would say it does seem to be the consensus that people dislike Halo 4.

I think people should post screenshots to support their argument because I have no idea what people are saying is good vs bad.

Do you think such a snob post helps to add anything? ;)
Even as an observer of halo i had the impression that Halo4 did not looks as artistically excellent as Reach. Why are you so convinced its a biased view? Halo3 was weird to me,not cohesive in visuals, Halo Reach the best of the lot, Halo 4, though looked very detailed, lacked the artistic merit and coherence of Halo Reach's visuals.

Oh yeah, and as for consensus, look at the actual player counts of people playing Halo 4. It's rather anemic, so I would say it does seem to be the consensus that people dislike Halo 4.
The real point however is that regardless of whatever real or percieved flaws or faults H4 has, it's inaccurate to lay them all at the feet of Yu's though, so this discussion is rather off-topic for the thread. Instead, go back to the H4 thread and regurgitate the same complaints one more time. :)

Nope. You simply ignored the original posts. Go read the Halo4 thread and find all the original very critical posts where many of us longtime Halo players exclaimed our disdain of how they messed up the entire series. I know my sentiments have not changed. There is no revisionism going on with my opinion.
It's up to individual taste of course.
Other thing is that Halo 4 visuals were universally acclaimed by reviewers i.e. destructoid, ign, gameinformer, gamesradar, eurogamer, egm, to name to few. Also, even if you don't like the looks, you acknowledge technical advancement of the game.

Have you actually played the game and not just sit in admiration of still shots?

Yes

Have you played the previous Halo games?

Yes, all of them except Halo 2

The majority of the time you're being blinded by bloom or the completely inconsistent environment lighting or even the overall environment artwork. A large portion of the environment / buildings are incoherent. It's like a frankenstein environment. Some nice bits and pieces here and there but as a whole it's a total mess. It's a truly horrible and broken game that looks to suffer from trade-offs forced by engine requirements.

Disagree with all of that. There isn't too much bloom; there are some lens effects but they're used tastefully. Environment design, Forerunner architecture in particular, is much improved over previous Halo games in general.
Character design is even more improved.

The popularity of online multiplayer has nothing to do with the graphics.

Do you think such a snob post helps to add anything? ;)

You mean I am a snob?? After all this bashing of a superior visual design? Funny :)

Even as an observer of halo i had the impression that Halo4 did not looks as artistically excellent as Reach.

I don't think we should argue about tastes... You had that impression, many other people did not.

Why are you so convinced its a biased view?

13 years of industry experience...

You mean I am a snob?? After all this bashing of a superior visual design? Funny :)

I don't think we should argue about tastes... You had that impression, many other people did not.

13 years of industry experience...

You are calling it a superior visual design, Brit is not? Does it make it superior? On what merits? More polygons and better facial expressions? If the overall omage doesn't present a clear picutre but a mess of individual elements, does it not become inferior? How is Brit wrong?

And 13 years of industry experience , does it make your view correct over others? Like you said....you had that impression, many others did not ! I have also been in CG for around the same time, And I say Reach's visual design is much much better over the Halo4's clutter of individually higly detailed assets that don't really read well.

Btw, i a not fighting or anything, but that particular post felt pretty snobby, so i said so, you OTOH might be the coolest person out there, who knows :) . We usually expect informative posts from you, don't we ?

Btw, I don't want to be banned :p ! Corrine go rock girl !

Xbox gets its X from DirectX.
And guinea pig is clearly a pig.

Just because functions you're calling look like functions on some other system doesn't mean what happens underneath is actually the same. She knows her stuff and she definitely knows that too.

But it's all offtopic. She's a skilled tech person and it's a net win for ND, that's for sure. At this point 343 is probably deep into polishing tech for the next Halo game and most pieces are in place anyway so it won't impact them (after all: responsible developer is leaving the team when the time is right, that means when they can be substituted and have no lingering tasks). At least not for the next installment. What's beyond that is a different story.

How old is she? She doesnt look like having 20 years in this business... Of course, if she started at 14 like Cerny, then is plausible.

Have you actually played the game and not just sit in admiration of still shots? Have you played the previous Halo games? It seems as if you haven't at all. If you did, you'd understand why we say it's ugly. The majority of the time you're being blinded by bloom or the completely inconsistent environment lighting or even the overall environment artwork. A large portion of the environment / buildings are incoherent. It's like a frankenstein environment. Some nice bits and pieces here and there but as a whole it's a total mess. It's a truly horrible and broken game that looks to suffer from trade-offs forced by engine requirements.

Alright, last post from me on the cluster that is Halo 4.

Sounds like the teamwork didn't pan out. I seriously doubt one engineer can cause all these inconsistencies.

Without wanting to derail the thread any further with Halo 4 talk. I gotta say that even though admittedly I haven't played Halo 4 personally I have played Reach and seen alot of Halo 4 in stills and vids.

In my opinion Halo Reach was a very unimpressive game, primarily due to the lighting and the art direction being quite a bit more unappealing in my eyes (the latter of course being my own subjective tastes). Reach had very drab and lifeless lighting in my eyes, perhaps that might have been down to the artistic choices of going with dull overcast skies everywhere, rather than the rich and vibrant almost tropical lighting seen in past Halo games.

What I've seen of Halo 4 looks very impressive to me, both artistically and technically. And if Corrine Yu is said to have had a hand in that then I think she should be applauded for her excellent work with the technology.

Naturally I think comments and criticisms about the art and tech of Halo 4 and how well (or not) they worked together should be put at the feet of the 323i artists and art director in my honest opinion. But then I think that Halo 4 was one of the most visually impressive games on the 360 last gen. So maybe my opinion is invalid?

Edit:
I ain't gonna lie tho...
Corrine's h4wt!

Back