PS4/XBOne launch sales numbers

Latest pre-sales analysis in the UK puts the PS4 orders at ~5:1. So, if that is correct, the PS4 should shift ~750,000 units when it launches on Friday.

There is a distinct air of excitement around, similar to when the PS2 was being launched!

Latest pre-sales analysis in the UK puts the PS4 orders at ~5:1. So, if that is correct, the PS4 should shift ~750,000 units when it launches on Friday.

There is a distinct air of excitement around, similar to when the PS2 was being launched!

That seems impossible ... 300k for the UK is already a pretty big number, compared to the 140k that the One shifted last week? Anything that is higher than the One's number is already impressive. 700k would be crazy!

The expectation is another ~1 mil launch again, 300k of which is for the UK.. realistically. They still want to have some decent amount left for the other countries :)

That seems impossible ... 300k for the UK is already a pretty big number, compared to the 140k that the One shifted last week? Anything that is higher than the One's number is already impressive. 700k would be crazy!

Like Shifty said, there is probably not enough supply to meet that requirement. But if there is, made in Japan ;), and those pre-sale ratios are correct, then it is going to be pretty crazy!

I just remember the quote (presumably from N. Bohr): "Prediction is difficult, especially about the future".

I just remember the quote (presumably from N. Bohr): "Prediction is difficult, especially about the future".

Yes. But is there a future in prediction? :LOL:

It all boils down to the number of units available. Sony have been producing for longer than we thought and are obviously using manufacturing facilities other than Foxconn and Pegatron. I think they've been very sly about this, they feel very positive for the PS4 and are going for the jugular.

But there's only 3 days to go. As the chinese say 'May you live in interesting times' - though I think it's actually and expression of bad luck!

I can't help but think that Microsoft will have better momentum.

I am very happy with the experience I have had so far with it. Voice really is great. Sure, I wish youtube and internet explorer used voice search. (XBox one needs a general voice to text method) But otherwise it has been fantastic.

On the other hand, I bought it with no strong intention to play games on it. I just want a quiet device to play music and movies on with internet. I don't even have TV. Nor do I watch football. I did have an HTPC with an air mouse, but it was still too cumbersome to use.

I have had a few friends over and they have been impressed by the usage model. I think this will be key to driving sales in the future. It's only going to get better.

Yes. But is there a future in prediction? :LOL:

It all boils down to the number of units available. Sony have been producing for longer than we thought and are obviously using manufacturing facilities other than Foxconn and Pegatron. I think they've been very sly about this, they feel very positive for the PS4 and are going for the jugular.

But there's only 3 days to go. As the chinese say 'May you live in interesting times' - though I think it's actually and expression of bad luck!

I have a feeling that Sony have been manufacturing PS4's in Japan for a while now and stockpiling them ready for the European launch.

It makes sense given that the cost of assembly in japan will be higher than from Foxcon or Pegatron, and so shipping all Japan-made units to the region that provides the highest sales revenues per box (given the funky exchange rates we europeans get shafted with on consumer electronics) will allow you to bolster supply and not have to eat too much of the manufacturing cost difference.

I'm expecting another million consoles sold in EU for Sony. I certainly don't expect MS to have as many XB1s to sell, and I actually don't believe that the XB1 demand in EU will be sustained as long as that for the PS4 given the obvious disadvantages working against it; the principal being "dat price premium" in one of the most price sensitive markets.

Back