PS4/XBOne launch sales numbers

PS4 >1M in North America within 24 hours.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/17/playstation-4-sales-pass-1-million-in-north-america

Sony announced today that one million PlayStation 4s have already been sold to customers in North America. The news was confirmed via Twitter by Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida, who wrote “PS4 has sold through over 1 million units within 24 hours of the launch in North America!”

Xbox One >1M World Wide in less than 24 hours.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/11/xbox-xbox-one-momentum-announcement

Following a worldwide celebration, Xbox One launched in 13 markets yesterday to great fanfare. The team is excited to confirm the launch of Xbox One was the biggest launch in Xbox history, with more than one million consoles sold through worldwide in less than 24 hours – surpassing day one Xbox 360 sales and setting a new record for Microsoft.

PS4 launches in Europe on the 29th, Asia in December and February in Japan. I dunno the launch dates for the Xbox One... I'll add them if someone can provide me with the dates, or a mod can edit my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoah. Sony certainly started very strong unless MS was starving too much of stock in the US.

It hasn't been 24 hours for xb1 in NA although I expect the vast majority of sales went to preorders anyway.

>1 million could be any number between 1-2 million

Without knowing the actual numbers for both consoles you can't really say which sold better at this point.

>1m is most likely between 1 - 1.1M. Either way they're very close right now, with the PS4 set to launch in Europe, Japan and Asia in the coming months and the Xbox One to launch in the remaining countries (has been released in most of the major markets already). Europe has been the PS3's strongest market so I'm expecting numbers just as big as North America's numbers, if not bigger (depending on how many units Sony allocated to Europe).

Whoah. Sony certainly started very strong unless MS was starving too much of stock in the US.
I'm guessing MS shipped more units to North America.

This bodes well for both MS and SONY compared to previous generations.

On second thought, I think it bodes well more for MS than SONY since SONY loses money on each PS4 unit sold.;)

I guess the next obvious metric is attach rates...

This bodes well for both MS and SONY compared to previous generations.

On second thought, I think it bodes well more for MS than SONY since SONY loses money on each PS4 unit sold.;)

I guess the next obvious metric is attach rates...

Unless of course MS are also selling at a loss, which is more than likely.

If Sony sell as many or more PS4's across Europe and the rest of the world, which is highly likely, we'll see a 2:1 or more spread in favour of the PS4. Which is more games and PSN memberships sold which will pretty quickly erode the $19 or so loss on each console. At this rate of sales and attachment Sony will be in the black by early 2014. Now they've just got to get a grip on the Music and Movie business...

*edit*

It would be good to see the current sales figures for the PS4. The ~1.1million was in the first 24 hours, there have been 8 more days of sales done since.

Unless of course MS are also selling at a loss, which is more than likely.

If Sony sell as many or more PS4's across Europe and the rest of the world, which is highly likely, we'll see a 2:1 or more spread in favour of the PS4. Which is more games and PSN memberships sold which will pretty quickly erode the $19 or so loss on each console. At this rate of sales and attachment Sony will be in the black by early 2014. Now they've just got to get a grip on the Music and Movie business...

Xbox One was not looking to be sold at a loss.

Yusef Mehdi said:
We’re looking to break even or low margin at worst

1 million in NA in 24 hours is more impressive than 1 million worldwide in < 24 hours. Now if MS comes out tomorrow and says they've sold 1 million in the full 24 hours for North America then that is impressive. Demand for both machines is high so preliminary sales while nice to talk about doesn't show the whole picture. I'm still anticipating sales for Sony's first week of PS4 being available. How many hundreds of thousands have they sold since the first day? What I'm most interested in is the sales figures after the holiday season is over.

Sony only launched in NA so far. So that's as good as it gets for them. 1 million in 24 hour is certainly impressive. I think PS+ subscription is probably a more important indicator for them coz paying for online gameplay is a relatively new thing for Sony.

Initial launch console sales are meaningless because the systems are almost always supply constrained. And even the Wii U sold 3.3 million at the end of it's first quarter (though it fizzled afterwards).

I'll bet my money on cumulative 1st year sales.

It is interesting to see where this goes with Black Friday and Christmas still coming. I do agree it is still relatively meaningless. First year sales will be more interesting ...

The PS4 will be available in 32 countries compared to the X1 13 countries by the end of the year. That's a big gap right there.

Has MS announced yet when they'll launch in those countries they previously removed from the first wave (like Scandinavia for example)?

The PS4 will be available in 32 countries compared to the X1 13 countries by the end of the year. That's a big gap right there.
That gap doesn't make a difference. Launching 2 million consoles across 32 countries will be selling less units than launching 3 million across 13 countries. It all depends how much stock each country gets. That said, PS4 is going to sell more because Sony were able to allocate 1 million to just NA whereas MS had 1 million units WW. We can count perhaps another million PS4's in Rest of World, maybe even more.

In case it isn't clear to anyone, as long as these consoles remain supply limited it doesn't matter where they are available. ATM, sales are determined by how many they can get onto shelves, wherever those shelves may be.

The interesting questions to be answered are who is going to be able to re-supply the channel faster, and who is going to become demand-limited first?

Back