Compare and contrast XBox One and PlayStation 4 from the user perspective

Thank you. Yeah I did check Alibaba as well, and while that particular seller doesn't specify any electrical rating, the label which is vaguely visible on the stock photography suggests to me that it is likely the same unit as this one, this and this.

Bricks with that rating and box art seem to be all over the net right now. And well.. read the customer experiences on my 1st link :LOL:

I went with this one instead. Fingers crossed.

The one I suggested was the only one without a minimum order. I did see the one you ended up buying on Alibaba, but you had buy a minimum of 20. Looks like the eBay listing is doing that for you. ;) Good luck!

Tommy McClain

I question the data. Was the sample set limited to people with reasonable use of both consoles? Otherwise I expect people to just vote for the console they own without reference to the other design which they've no experience of. That said, the different percentages make it a non-straight-forward 'vote for my platform' response.

I question the data. Was the sample set limited to people with reasonable use of both consoles? Otherwise I expect people to just vote for the console they own without reference to the other design which they've no experience of. That said, the different percentages make it a non-straight-forward 'vote for my platform' response.

People who own both shifting the base percentages one way or the other?

How does the PS4 win games library? I agree with some of the choices and some of the other stuff is debateable, but that one seems really questionable.
How is that questionable? The appeal of the games available will differ person to person.

In terms of the big full priced games, I'd call it a wash. I bought BF4, AC4, Lego Marvel and Killzone - Killzone being the only Sony exclusive that appealed to. On the Xbox side DR3 was the only exclusive that appealed. Knack, Ryse and Forza? No thanks.

PS4 also had a nice bag of smaller titles; Resogun, Flow, Flower and Contrast. Plus F2P multiplayer games Warframe and War Thunder. I've had great former with the first four, couldn't get into Warframe at all and still not had a chance to play War Thunder. Then came the next wave of smaller titles: Doki Doki Universe and Don't Starve. Already there is a nice mix on PS4, including what Sony does well, the off-mainstream stuff.

How is that questionable? The appeal of the games available will differ person to person.

In terms of the big full priced games, I'd call it a wash. I bought BF4, AC4, Lego Marvel and Killzone - Killzone being the only Sony exclusive that appealed to. On the Xbox side DR3 was the only exclusive that appealed. Knack, Ryse and Forza? No thanks.

PS4 also had a nice bag of smaller titles; Resogun, Flow, Flower and Contrast. Plus F2P multiplayer games Warframe and War Thunder. I've had great former with the first four, couldn't get into Warframe at all and still not had a chance to play War Thunder. Then came the next wave of smaller titles: Doki Doki Universe and Don't Starve. Already there is a nice mix on PS4, including what Sony does well, the off-mainstream stuff.

We know how well the exclusives sold, though. And people bought more of the XBOne's exclusives. I don't know of a better metric than that.

We know how well the exclusives sold, though. And people bought more of the XBOne's exclusives. I don't know of a better metric than that.

Well isn't 'library' the diversity of offerings across the whole platform? As in the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. You're also unlikely going to see high "sales" of Resogun, Contrast and Don't Starve because they're free to PS+ members and Flow and Flower were free if you'd bought them on another Sony Platform. Even if they've been reported being digital only!?!? No idea.

To judge games library?

Example case:
Console A having a 99% metacritic Great Exclusive that sells to every one of 2 million new owners and 10 poop titles that sell nothing

Console B having 11 diverse good games covering a lot of genres selling different titles to 2 million different owners such that the best selling game sold 300,000

Console A has the highest exclusive sell-through, undeniably, but would also call that the best library?

To judge games library?

Example case:
Console A having a 99% metacritic Great Exclusive that sells to every one of 2 million new owners and 10 poop titles that sell nothing

Console B having 11 diverse good games covering a lot of genres selling different titles to 2 million different owners such that the best selling game sold 300,000

Console A has the highest exclusive sell-through, undeniably, but would also call that the best library?

That's not what happened, though. Like I said. We know how they sold, relatively, and we know PS4 sold more 3rd party software than XBOne while selling less software overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well isn't 'library' the diversity of offerings across the whole platform? As in the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. You're also unlikely going to see high "sales" of Resogun, Contrast and Don't Starve because they're free to PS+ members and Flow and Flower were free if you'd bought them on another Sony Platform. Even if they've been reported being digital only!?!? No idea.

When comparing software libraries at the peak of last gen, download-only titles were often not factored in. I remember that the strength of XBLA around the launch of the initial Summer of Arcade promotions was often dismissed in comparisons with Sony's library, specifically. I don't know if that sentiment has changed since then. If it has, then I guess it becomes more subjective based on how substantial (for lack of a better word) you consider each of those smaller titles.

When comparing software libraries at the peak of last gen, download-only titles were often not factored in. I remember that the strength of XBLA around the launch of the initial Summer of Arcade promotions was often dismissed in comparisons with Sony's library, specifically. I don't know if that sentiment has changed since then. If it has, then I guess it becomes more subjective based on how substantial (for lack of a better word) you consider each of those smaller titles.
I'm sure there are some who aren't dabbling outside the mainstream but I think it was generally accepted there were some absolute smaller title gems last gen: Geometry Wars, Flow, Fez, Journey, Minecraft, Super Stardust, Limbo, Calling All Cars, Mega Man, Flower - to name just a few.

I'm sure there are some who aren't dabbling outside the mainstream but I think it was generally accepted there were some absolute smaller title gems last gen: Geometry Wars, Flow, Fez, Journey, Minecraft, Super Stardust, Limbo, Calling All Cars, Mega Man, Flower - to name just a few.

Without a doubt. I have personally enjoyed many unique titles on PC via Steam from smaller developers and loved Bastion on 360. I'm just pointing out a prevailing mindset in the console world towards these downloadable titles that existed and that may or may not still exist.

I haven't really seen any indication that the way people think of these things has changed, but I can't say definitively that it hasn't either.

Forza, Ryse, Max have definitely been great games from my perspective ..

I very much doubt any of the current PS4 indy titles are doing Minecraft numbers to put them significantly ahead of the xb1 download content. That poll appears to be confirmation that online polls are crap.

I very much doubt any of the current PS4 indy titles are doing Minecraft numbers to put them significantly ahead of the xb1 download content. That poll appears to be confirmation that online polls are crap.

And that would be valid if IGN's question was asking poll voters which console they thought had the most collective downloads. But that wasn't the question, which was which console had the best game library - and if you review the poll video question, this covers both games at launch and games announced and coming, i.e. Titanfall, Infamous, Halo, Uncharted, Quantum Break, The Order, etc.

I never said it was. I was challenging your view that sales of exclusives are good enough to determine which platform has the best library.

Instead of presenting a theoretical situation, could you instead address the actual situation and explain how this (again borrowing info Rangers shared earlier in the thread)

So for new gen exclusives we have

Dead Rising 3 - 526K
Forza Motorsport 5 - 457K
Killzone - 400-450K
Ryse - 431K
Knack - 150-200K

...is consistent with a weaker library?

And that would be valid if IGN's question was asking poll voters which console they thought had the most collective downloads. But that wasn't the question, which was which console had the best game library - and if you review the poll video question, this covers both games at launch and games announced and coming, i.e. Titanfall, Infamous, Halo, Uncharted, Quantum Break, The Order, etc.

Ah, I see. Well, that's a horse of another color.

Back