Assassins Creed IV Black Flag

Game is hellacious fun so far, just got the Jackdaw and dropped anchor at Nassau. Game looks gorgeous on my 770 with temporal AA at 25x16.

On this topic I have to say uplay sucks. Have started it 3 times and every time it gets stuck on long update/download shit loop. If I hadn't got the free games with nvidia 780 I would never ever use the crap called uplay for anything. I promise, I will uninstall it as soon as splinter cell and ac iv are done.

my god uplay, ac4 will finally be downloaded in 165 hours
dont know what it is but even though its only using a fraction of my bandwidth browsing the web has slowed to a crawl, pages are loading at 7 bytes/sec

I was able to download it in about 1h 20 minutes. The speed was fluctuating like crazy though, but overall speed was ok. Setting up Uplay was more messy than what these services should be, weird bugs and even registering a username was bit of a hassle, because for some unholy reason it didn't accept something like my first 5 choices for a username, even though there was nothing wrong with those names... I think Origin is much better than this.

On digital download games, I almost always also buy the pirated version from shopping mall or from online store if the pirated game available before the official release date. So I can order it, when the game officially released and the mailman come with my game, I can start installing it.

So i just install from pirated disk and tell origin/uplay/steam to install again. It will finish in a few minutes with very little download on the end.

It not always works so I always ended up making 2 copies of the game folder. It take 2x HDD space, but at least I not need to wait for long download.

Digital download really helps me getting original games easy.

Just to finish about uplay
5 times i had to download splinter cell

I always wait until I can buy through Steam, even if the game is UPlay in the backend, it does generally work flawlessly.

or just ignore the error and ask other person to upload it. Or download the torrent, or tell uplay to "repair" after ignoring it.

Turns out nvidia adaptive sync was the culprit for extreme tearing artifacts on my rig. Disabling nvidia adaptive sync and letting ac iv run without vsync makes enabling antialiasing reasonable on my rig. It still tears when framerate drops but the visible tearing effect is much less annoying now. This game looks amazing.

Very mixed bag so far. I love the pirate theme and sea fights a lot. On the other hand some game mechanics are completely broken. So far I think this game is a winner on my books but it could have been epic with some finetuning. Solid 8+ in it's current state.

Adaptive Vsync just disables vsync when fps drops below refresh. It's g-sync that will be the real dynamic vsync ;-)

It still shouldn't cause additional tearing compared with having no vsync on at all though. Weird!

I've not got to playing the game yet, I'm still finishing 3 but I had the chance to do some performance testing last night and the PC only features are very taxing on performance. Compared to the console settings (which I'm assimung use SMAA) you will almost half your performance if you ramp everything up to max on the PC including 4x TXAA. That may be the source of some of the performance complaints with this game. If you keep the PC exclusive features rurned off it performs okay but still won't quite average 60fps on my 680 level 670.

I bought the game, installed a pirated version without uPlay, since I don't care about MP, and am ready to go.
:p

Encountered a fairly bizarre bug. I speed traveled from sea to great inagua. Where the ship was supposed to be there was magic hole in the sea. Then when I jumped to the hole the water came back and ship appeared to the bottom of the sea. Then the ship slowly resurfaced.

Another funny one was when I was fighting a fort captain. The captain fell to his death from the fort and my character froze. I think there was some game sequence that couldn't be completed. Had to quit and restart.

But so far so good, the annoying bugs are not happening too often.

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 37
  • rising.jpg
    rising.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 40
I love the game but uPlay really is a piece of garbage. I lost 6 hours of gameplay because of blue screen of death. When I logged back in, game loads my old save from the uPlay cloud and not my most recent save from the HD :(

Same sort of thing happened to me in Heroes of Might and Magic 6. uSuck. I've never had that happen with Steam.

Back