Super Mario 3D World

Rayman is a fantastic looking game, but I also think Mario Galaxy and this new one are more inspired than 99.9% of games that are out there. Just shows how tastes differ.

I totally agree. Just makes me disappionted all the more with Nintendo seemingly being the only viable platform for that kind of thing, and Mario the only available skin. I just watched the Quicklook of this, and I still think it looks meh, even though the gameplay is at times very clever (though I was more impressed with Galaxy). And it still lags seriously behind in terms of HD-ness (Rayman is 1080p native, and that just looks so much better just from that alone).

Ah well. I asked my son if he liked Mario, and he said yes, but he seemed to like Rayman equally well. So we're good for now, with Tearaway also seemingly a hit (though at times too difficult also).

For my son, having all the text spoken still matters a lot. Tearaway does a lot, but not everything yet, and he can't read yet. Two more years though, and then who knows I'll still let him have a go at all the 3DS.

I often wonder if people confuse visual style with gameplay - Nintendo's naming does this distinction no favours.

For me at least, the 3D games (Super Mario 3D World & galaxy) are completely different gameplay to the 2D games (Super Mario World, Yoshi's island, etc). They are incredibly well crafted pieces of software which build and build on mechanics at a near perfect pace so the end of the game is usually very different to the beginning.

Unfortunately, people just see another Mario game so assume there's nothing new in them. I can't see that changing but it is a pity.
That! That is why I enjoy Nintendo games!

How many sequels have we played where the game doesn't really expand and re-tune previous gameplay mechanics (good and bad)? They just on expand on a handful of things here and there while eliminating/excessively-streamlining others in the process.

A Super Mario game does something wrong or flawed in a previous game, they fix it and turn it into a strength that makes it a much better games. It's one of the few AAA companies that haven't gone bonkers with their games' content and quality.

Although I'm focused on my PS3, I will buy a Wii U at some point. PS3 -> Wii U -> PS4 for me in that order, I think it's utterly ridiculous to exclude the console because of its graphical horsepower (or lack thereof).

Edit: I like a little console rivalry, and so does the person who posted this... :)

1482026_768804063135030_1959844977_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I impulse bought a WiiU a couple of days ago “for the kids” and it should be delivered tomorrow. I’ve kinda had enough of generic shooter #34 and thought I’d go back to the kind of games I used to enjoy as a teenager when I had my SNES and Megadrive. I read the Eurogamer review of this game and they make it sound great, the videos also look like a lot of fun.

I can imagine my boys in hysterics playing this game so I look forward togiving them my "their" WiiU.

So yeah, WiiU is my second console this generation (after the PS4), I haven’t actually owned a Nintendo since the N64 – so should be fun catching up on a few games I’ve missed.

The ratio Xbox One to Wii U playtime in my household is currently about 1:5.

Super Mario 3D World is just terrific fun for all ages and the art makes up for the technical limitations of the system. Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are great too. Who needs new concepts when the old ones are this well refined..

Super Mario 3D World is just terrific fun for all ages and the art makes up for the technical limitations of the system. Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are great too. Who needs new concepts when the old ones are this well refined..
That would never happen in my house. :p :smile2: Well, maybe if only a F-Zero game was available for the WiiU...

I am looking at a WiiU myself as well. I think I may buy a refurbished one from Nintendo, only costs $200 from Nintendo.com. Sometimes it's not available though.

I've badgered my young cousins to get themselves a WiiU. Partly for selfish reasons, as I don't have one yet ;)

But also for them, it would be a great system for them to play multiplayer together.

I'm thinking it's more likely they end up with PS4s though... I trained them quite well :p

So I may have to just pick up a WiiU to hold at my place.

This game is just amazing. I'd forgotten how FUN Nintendo games are!

I'd totally recommend a WiiU for anyone with kids, or just as a second console. The games are just different to the other two, they really bring the fun. I need to pick up Mario Kart now...

Back