Super Mario 3D World

One of the (rather unpleasant) reasons to see Nintendo suffer with Wii U performance and turn to making software for other devices. There's a few Nintendo IPs I'd like to play, but not enough to justify buying Nintendo hardware. Professor Layton on Android would suit me very well, as would Mario on consoles. I guess the lack of Wii U owners here means very little coverage of Wii U games. Wii didn't fair well in that regard either. When was the last time a Wii game had its own thread?

Looks cool. Now all they have to do it put it on a device I own and I'll play it, otherwise I guess I'll have to wait for emulation to play it in the far future.

On pre-order and cannot wait for it to arrive!

Just finishing off the Wii Mario sunshine games (which I missed on Wii and are excellent) and plan to set aside a lazy weekend playing it asap. My guess is over the christmas break my cousins and I will have new xbox, ps4 and wii u to hand and this game will be the one that gets the most play time…

People make fun of Nintendo for overusing Mario, but the fact is Mario games are consistently very good. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were some of the best games of last gen, and Super Mario Bros Wii was very good as well. This one, by all accounts so far, is another gem. Watching trailers and vids, it looks like a far more interesting game than anything I've seen for Xbox One and PS4, including the titles that haven't launched for those systems. It's kind of sad, because like Shifty, I can' t buy a Wii U just to play three or four Mario games during the systems lifetime.

I am in the same ballpark as a few others in this thread.

The cat suit looks awesome. I am not into the WiiU that much. Wish I was but there is a lot of information shoved down our throats on the internet and I just like to read the threads about the WiiU's technology or games in particular like this one.

Super Mario is usually not only fun but aesthetically pleasing. Truth be told if anyone gave me a WiiU for free I wouldn't turn up my nose to it, of course, but anyways.

People make fun of Nintendo for overusing Mario, but the fact is Mario games are consistently very good. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were some of the best games of last gen, and Super Mario Bros Wii was very good as well. This one, by all accounts so far, is another gem. Watching trailers and vids, it looks like a far more interesting game than anything I've seen for Xbox One and PS4, including the titles that haven't launched for those systems. It's kind of sad, because like Shifty, I can' t buy a Wii U just to play three or four Mario games during the systems lifetime.

Still deservedly made fun of imho. They could easily ,ake much more appealing skins for the same gameplay ...

There is some good buzz for the latest threesome of anintendo releases. But so far only Pikmin three really tickled my fancy graphics wise, and if it weren't for Rayman's recent great releases and games like LBP, I might well have caved on my son's behalf. He may get a 3DS yet at some point - Zelda, Pokemon and Mario often aren't quite it for me, but some of that stuff would be awesome for him, especially once he learns to read.

I think this new Mario game looks really nice. They've nailed the art side of the game. Looks great for what is essentially last-gen hardware. Pikmin looks fantastic as well.

I think this new Mario game looks really nice. They've nailed the art side of the game. Looks great for what is essentially last-gen hardware. Pikmin looks fantastic as well.

Exactly. Again it shows the importance of gameplay and artwork VS technical feats.

Only great artwork, great gameplay, saturated colors, sharp detailed colored characters (not blurred by useless FXAA).

No AA. No High resolution textures. No high detailed background;all those previous elements in modern games are completely blurred anyway by abusive FXAA/motion blur/post effects. We need only sharpness, colors and fun in our games! That's what Nintendo is doing since the NES!

Local multiplayer + good game = purchase !

If I can't play a given game with my wife, it's as if it doesn't exist at all ;p

Exactly. Again it shows the importance of gameplay and artwork VS technical feats.

When someone raves about the art direction in a Mario game all can usually do is scratch my head. Unlike with the utterly delightful new Rayman games, I just don't see it. All I see is random shapes and forms.
The biggest problem I have with Mario and Nintendo games in general is that I simply grew tired of the characters a long time ago. As a matter of fact the chubby plumber pisses me off to no end. Whenever he goes "Woo-Hoo" I wanna strangle someone.

I'm not questioning Nintendo's game design skills here, but unless they decide to apply their craft to something that is actually new at some point in the future, I'm just not going to bother.

When someone raves about the art direction in a Mario game all can usually do is scratch my head.
I agree with that. The design is legacy bound to 8 bit sprites limited in flexibility, so something of a hodge-podge as for what would work well on an SD CRTV in a few colours. The definied the art-style and everything has to follow suit. Within that space, I think Nintendo do very well. Their shaders are pretty, even if rim lighting could be considered excessive. It definitely works. There's nothing magical about what I'm seeing in that video though. It's the same Mario look, same environments, same critters, used in so many games. Other games have more interesting visual designs. I agree that the latest Rayman looked gorgeous and far more interesting and original. I also dislike the plumber design. Again, he worked in 8 bit but is pretty pointless as a design on modern systems.

However, Mario is a brand-name synonymous with a high-quality experience, and Nintendo don't want to divorce themselves from that. It's be like Cadbury's chocolate releasing a new chocolate product without the Cadbury's name - that name brings in custom and they'll reuse it as much as possible. I'm not sure Nintendo can even do a LoZ on Mario and turn it into a different style. I'm sure they'd get loads of kudos from gamers for a dark, gritty Mario reboot, but may alienate most of their customers.

However, Mario is a brand-name synonymous with a high-quality experience, and Nintendo don't want to divorce themselves from that. It's be like Cadbury's chocolate releasing a new chocolate product without the Cadbury's name - that name brings in custom and they'll reuse it as much as possible. I'm not sure Nintendo can even do a LoZ on Mario and turn it into a different style. I'm sure they'd get loads of kudos from gamers for a dark, gritty Mario reboot, but may alienate most of their customers.

I know that of course. Heck, when even something so decidedly Mario such as the Galaxy games "backfire" in terms of sales because they dared to stray from the norm a wee bit more, who can blame them? On the other hand we never would have gotten anything as bold as a Shadow of the Colossus if everyone always played it safe. The thing that bothers me about Nintendo is that they simply don't bother. They make boat loads of cash off of their old ips, so why not invest a tiny fraction of that into something slightly more adventurous every now and then?

Whatever, there's still some high quality alternatives for me to pick and choose from after all. Maybe those aren't quite as slick and polished, but as long as they manage to make up eventual gameplay shortcomings elsewhere I'm not too bothered.

Rayman is a fantastic looking game, but I also think Mario Galaxy and this new one are more inspired than 99.9% of games that are out there. Just shows how tastes differ.

Only great artwork, great gameplay, saturated colors, sharp detailed colored characters (not blurred by useless FXAA).

No AA. No High resolution textures. No high detailed background;all those previous elements in modern games are completely blurred anyway by abusive FXAA/motion blur/post effects. We need only sharpness, colors and fun in our games! That's what Nintendo is doing since the NES!

Can you like a post here at B3D? Anyway, I totally agree!

Rayman is a fantastic looking game, but I also think Mario Galaxy and this new one are more inspired than 99.9% of games that are out there. Just shows how tastes differ.
I don't disagree, as most games are recycling old ideas and styles. The main argument is Nintendo aren't doing anything new. They are taking an established style and recycling it, whereas perhaps with new IP they could combine the same great gameplay with new characters and new art and style, improving on the Mario formula with a graphical shot-in-the-arm. If you look at some of the diverse art that's appeared this gen, especially with the inclusion of indie titles, I think there's lots Nintendo could do to provide games with a greater/different sense of style to the well worn Mario. Mario works, it's good, but what's wrong with doing new stuff? It's not as if the reason those 99.9% of games are uninspired are because they don't look like Mario, and the Mario style is essential to getting a good looking game.

Yeah the problem here is that while the game looks cool, it doesn't look so far different enough to push me to get a Wii U, especially when I feel I can go back and play Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, etc to get my Mario fix anyways since the basic look and feel of the games hasn't really changed a whole lot.

I often wonder if people confuse visual style with gameplay - Nintendo's naming does this distinction no favours.

For me at least, the 3D games (Super Mario 3D World & galaxy) are completely different gameplay to the 2D games (Super Mario World, Yoshi's island, etc). They are incredibly well crafted pieces of software which build and build on mechanics at a near perfect pace so the end of the game is usually very different to the beginning.

Unfortunately, people just see another Mario game so assume there's nothing new in them. I can't see that changing but it is a pity.

I often wonder if people confuse visual style with gameplay - Nintendo's naming does this distinction no favours.

For me at least, the 3D games (Super Mario 3D World & galaxy) are completely different gameplay to the 2D games (Super Mario World, Yoshi's island, etc). They are incredibly well crafted pieces of software which build and build on mechanics at a near perfect pace so the end of the game is usually very different to the beginning.

Unfortunately, people just see another Mario game so assume there's nothing new in them. I can't see that changing but it is a pity.

I see the difference just fine (I played 3d Land and Galaxy). Doesn't change that they all feature a cast of characters and a certain type of iconography of which I've simply grown exceedingly tired over the course of the last 3 decades. Put Rayman and his anarchic sense of humor (or something/someone else entirely) in a similar game and I'll be all over this.

Back