New PS4 Smell

Grall, Grall. Oh my dear Grall. I have to make a confession.

Before getting a PS4, I also thought WTF I DON'T WANT A SHINY BRIGHT LIGHT SUCKING MY CONTROLLER'S BATTERY!!!

But........ After having played Tomb Raider on my pretty little PS4, I have to say that just the flash whenever I shoot a gun or anything else is worth the silly light that drains your battery.

Honestly I didn't notice it on any other game, and in fact I hadn't noticed it even on TR before near the end, probably because purely by chance I played the last few hours of TR in near darkness so it was easier to see the light in the room. And guess what, it really did add to the feeling that I was in there with the drama queen with perfect hair.

It felt like those Philips TV - can't remember the brand name - with lights behind the TV that changed colour according to whatever was showing, supposedly adding to the immersion. Now, I never actually saw one of those TVs in action but the bright flash from my DS4 going off everytime I shot a gun in the game really added to my own personal immersion.

So, that's my 2c about the whole controllergate.

So far my PS4 has, practically, being running silently with only the odd change in noise levels after a few hours of gaming (not counting the disc drive which always sounds thunderous but I think that is psychosomatic due to the overall quietness). Apart from when there is a lot of network connectivity.

When connecting to accounts or when there is a poor connection - which is quite frequently here. Then the fan kicks in and it sounds like it's readying for take off! Anyone else noticed this? Or do you all have slick network connections that don't make the PS4 work for its money? - According to the speed check on the PS4 the max connection speed is about 1.3Mbps.

Is it normal that the DS4 battery drains fully empty in few days even when it is not used?
I have the one that came with PS4 and a newer blue one, both do the same.
I charge them with the official charging station, but usually don't leave them in it after they are fully charged.

^Not normal at all. Might want to try charging it with something else, but it sounds like a faulty battery. I would get it exchanged.

Is it normal that the DS4 battery drains fully empty in few days even when it is not used?
I charge them with the official charging station, but usually don't leave them in it after they are fully charged.
Are the controllers set to automatically turn off after X minutes?

My system only makes a little noise when a new game is being installed in the background. Otherwise it's whisper-quiet. It's a really sweet machine and a nice piece of engineering all things considered. Unlike the PS3, the PS4 also maintains an exceptionally stable connection to the PSN. My PS3 always seems to randomly drop the connection from time to time. No idea how to fix the issue either, but then it never really bothered me all that much.

Are the controllers set to automatically turn off after X minutes?
Yes, after 10 minutes.
They seem to last the normal amount while playing, it's just the idle time draining that's odd.
Now that I think of it. this might have started happening after I bought the charging station a month ago. At least the original DS4 hasn't always been doing this and the new one I've been only charging with the station.
Still, seems weird that the charging station would be the cause, as I don't keep them in it after fully charged.
Will try resetting the controllers, there should be the small reset button somewhere in the bottom of the controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
My system only makes a little noise when a new game is being installed in the background. Otherwise it's whisper-quiet. It's a really sweet machine and a nice piece of engineering all things considered. Unlike the PS3, the PS4 also maintains an exceptionally stable connection to the PSN. My PS3 always seems to randomly drop the connection from time to time. No idea how to fix the issue either, but then it never really bothered me all that much.

I found mine was far more stable if I set it to a static IP on the network. Same with the PS4. Still puzzled as to why heavy network traffic seems to be the one thing that makes the PS4 work so hard. Not any of this graphics or physics stuff, just plain old networking code!

Yes, after 10 minutes.
They seem to last the normal amount while playing, it's just the idle time draining that's odd.
Now that I think of it. this might have started happening after I bought the charging station a month ago. At least the original DS4 hasn't always been doing this and the new one I've been only charging with the station.
Still, seems weird that the charging station would be the cause, as I don't keep them in it after fully charged.
Will try resetting the controllers, there should be the small reset button somewhere in the bottom of the controller.

Have you checked the charge after they've been on the station? It would seem that it's not charging them properly.

Have you checked the charge after they've been on the station? It would seem that it's not charging them properly.
Yes, they show full charge and I can game for the normal 5-7 hours.
My old PS3 controllers retain their charge seemingly forever. I have couple that haven't been used for weeks and they are still almost full.

It can be duff batteries. I had an LG G Pad that lost charge for no reason and needed replacing. It was only users on a usergroup that confirmed this; LG seemed to think 2.5% battery drain per hour in standby was perfectly acceptable.

If everyone else here is getting negligible drain from an off battery, that points to very much the same issue IMO.

It can be duff batteries. I had an LG G Pad that lost charge for no reason and needed replacing. It was only users on a usergroup that confirmed this; LG seemed to think 2.5% battery drain per hour in standby was perfectly acceptable.

If everyone else here is getting negligible drain from an off battery, that points to very much the same issue IMO.

I'm just wondering whether the station is overcharging them leading to voltage depression. The OP said it seemed to start after using the station.

My controllers have been without recharging for weeks since I got titanfall. Only the occasional Netflix service has been used, still got power.

Finally got me a PS4. The Second Son Bundle.
So far I love it.

Going to post some of my impressions tomorrow, although I am late to the party, since its 1:15 AM over here

Back