New PS4 Smell

No, but I often turn my controllers off during long updates/downloads. Not as much of an issue with the PS4 since you can download in standby. But regardless, I like to have some indication that my controller is on/off, just like any other wireless controller.

I run mine on the shortest time out setting. When I don't play I don't need the controller

Well I got home with my shiny new ps4+infamous. Comments on infamous will go to that thread.
Updated the ps4 straight away but for some reason it won't connect to PSN. I'll try again later. It's Friday and I have a life so I'm going for dinner. I will of course finish as soon as I can so I can go back to my baby :) cause I have a life! :LOL:

I wound up picking up an extra DS4 and the Nyko dual-charger base for them. The battery does indeed not last nearly long enough, but I usually play single-player and I wind up just using one until it goes nearly dead, then turning it off, putting it on the charger, and using the other one.

It's also possible to plug your DS4 into a micro-usb charge cable while you're playing, and just go on indefinitely that way.

Just came to say my downloads are back to normal, so it must have been a SOny-side thing. Downloaded Dead Nation, Strider demo and Infamous without issues.

BTW< wasn't the new update supposed to add the functionality of taking out ur share button videos/screens via USB device? How do we do that? I couldn't find a way.

ALso, video recording is messed up in Infamous. I twice did very cool neon bomb stuff, killed 13 guys, an auto turret and took out DUP trucks in one super power but the video that got recorded wasn't the last 15 mins but 15 mins that happened around 20 mins before that. At one point, the video that was saved ended right before I used the power, even though I pressed the button after using the power :( Lost some cool vids.

BTW< wasn't the new update supposed to add the functionality of taking out ur share button videos/screens via USB device? .

I think that's the next update with the promised functionality additions and not just the mysterious 'performance improvements' we've had with 1.61 and 1.62. Although suspend/resume is the most important promised feature for me, I must admit being able to copy pics and vids (I'm assuming at full quality) to USB stick is very appealing!

Not so much from me, definitely. When the controller only lasts a few hours it's really annoying to have it glowing brightly all the time. Not to mention when you try to enjoy a movie and MUST use the controller because sony's BT remote doesn't work with PS4 (you can pair it and the system recognizes it, but the buttons do absolutely nothing), you pick up the controller to start the movie, put it down, and unless you hide it under furniture or bury it under a sweater or something that friggin light is going to either glare into the TV screen or into your eyes. It's really annoying.

Just activate the power save settings for the controller. It shuts itself off after a couple of minutes when you're trying to enjoy a movie. Not really a big deal.

I think that's the next update with the promised functionality additions and not just the mysterious 'performance improvements' we've had with 1.61 and 1.62. Although suspend/resume is the most important promised feature for me, I must admit being able to copy pics and vids (I'm assuming at full quality) to USB stick is very appealing!

As a brand new owner, the main issue for me is not knowing exactly what does and does not work. And i'm one of the 'informed' ones thanks to you guys.
For example, does the controller really charge when the ps4 is off?
All the things they said they would provide, some of them are in there and some are not. But people basically had to try it out for themselves, which isn't cool.

For example, does the controller really charge when the ps4 is off?

Yes, by default in NA. No by default in the EU. It's a setting you can toggle, either way.

All the things they said they would provide, some of them are in there and some are not. But people basically had to try it out for themselves, which isn't cool.

The Official FAQ is a good place to start to find out what's there now and what's planned without experimenting for yourself. Online Manual is good for how-to info.

Just activate the power save settings for the controller. It shuts itself off after a couple of minutes when you're trying to enjoy a movie. Not really a big deal.
Except when the controller powers off I can't pause the movie, or rewind that cool action scene and so on without first turning the controller on again and then clicking away that thrice-cursed god damned login screen which always appears every bloody time the controller has gone to sleep, with the movie still playing away merrily in the background.

GODS! The fail, it hurts my eyes.

Except when the controller powers off I can't pause the movie, or rewind that cool action scene and so on without first turning the controller on again and then clicking away that thrice-cursed god damned login screen which always appears every bloody time the controller has gone to sleep, with the movie still playing away merrily in the background.

GODS! The fail, it hurts my eyes.

I tweeted them today to ask whether they could include DVD\Blu-ray remote support in the PS app. That would make it pretty handy to use your phone or a tablet to do the biz.

Yes, there are a few spots where we're missing remote control HDMI-CEC support in our house too. On the PS3 we can basically do everything with the TV remote through HDMI-CEC, including Netflix, which is great. But on the PS4, Netflix is missing and we need to use the PS4 controller. Works fine, but it's inelegant. I'm starting to look forward to a big OS update, it's been quiet on that front for a while now. Are they going to wait until E3?

Yes, there are a few spots where we're missing remote control HDMI-CEC support in our house too. On the PS3 we can basically do everything with the TV remote through HDMI-CEC, including Netflix, which is great. But on the PS4, Netflix is missing and we need to use the PS4 controller. Works fine, but it's inelegant. I'm starting to look forward to a big OS update, it's been quiet on that front for a while now. Are they going to wait until E3?

I've got Netflix on the PS4 and the CEC stuff is pretty cool as it means I use one remote for the TV, Receiver, and PS3 whilst I switch the PS4 on by selecting it on the telly. And then switch the whole lot off by turning just the TV off. I like that.

Microsoft has just launched a handy remote control for xbone, despite including the the biggest remote control in all of history (kinect2 :p).

Why can't sony, a media company, do the same thing? The controller is so clumsy and inconsistent (play/pause is sometimes X, sometimes O button... Feh. Why do they DO that?)

Microsoft has just launched a handy remote control for xbone, despite including the the biggest remote control in all of history (kinect2 :p).

Why can't sony, a media company, do the same thing? The controller is so clumsy and inconsistent (play/pause is sometimes X, sometimes O button... Feh. Why do they DO that?)

Knowing Sony, the brand new PS4 remote (of course they'll try to flog us a new one) is being redesigned for the 28th time, the latest mock up being delivered by hand from the Japan headquarters to the US ones by Jak and Daxter and a delegation of heavily armed ninjas.

Question!

I used to (still do actually) have my PS3 plugged into my surround sound system through optical cable. Sound would go there and no sound would go through HDMI so the TV was mute, as it should be.

On PS4, sound comes through optical and also HDMI - so I always have to turn down the volume on my TV.

Is this normal? Can I turn it off? Is it one of those things that just are not there in the current firmware?

I'm kind of surprised we don't have a PS4 remote yet too, it would sell well but in a strange way it gives me hope that the multimedia capabilities for PS4 are not going to be hidden behind a paywall like Music Unlimited but that the remote like MP3 playback and DNLA are behind due to bandwidth.

One can hope anyway....

I'm kind of surprised we don't have a PS4 remote yet too
I'm not. I think Sony are banking on a lot of people using their TV/STB's remote which will control the PS4 (via HDMI-CEC). Now it's a long way from perfect but with an update, I'll be able to use my fully-featured TV-remote to control the PS4's Blu-ray and DVD playback functions. And there's no reason media apps like Netflix, IGN etc, can not be updated to accept this input as well.

I think a PS4-specific remote is probably a long way down Sony's list of hardware to make, especially as Sony have been making an effect to stop making low-margin, low-selling hardware.

I'm not opposed to one myself, I owned by the PS2 remote (which came with an IR received) and the PS3 Bluetooth remote and it's rather annoying the latter doesn't work with PS4.

I think Sony are banking on a lot of people using their TV/STB's remote which will control the PS4 (via HDMI-CEC).
I've not had a lot of success with HDMI-CEC, there seems to be compatibility issues between different brands of TVs/remotes and PS3/4.

I think a PS4-specific remote is probably a long way down Sony's list of hardware to make
It would be a very cheap way to earn a decent pile of money, especially as my and probably many other early adopters' PS3 remotes are very worn and ratty after so many years of service.

Back