New PS4 Smell

Looks like I am going to have an issue with sound when i ll buy a PS4. I use the av out on my PS3 to connect it with my home theater (white red cables) because it lacks optical and hdmi in. The PS4 isnt compatible with those cables so I dont know how to solve this issue.

Interesting. I'm guessing you're aim with your setup is because your AV receiver doesn't have enough HDMI ports? So you're effectively splitting up audio and video, sending audio to your AV revceiver, while video goes directly to your displaying device of choice?

Sounds quite complex. Does splitting actually work without HDCP issues?

Yes it works without HDCP issues, EDID is read from the first output (on the splitter) so I can change what EDID PS4 see quite easily.

My setup is about freedom, I can play in stereo on TV or monitor (with headphones) and when I want multichannel sound on TV or higher quality headphones output I can switch on AVR.

edit: if anyone curious, I have splitter from Cypress Technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlikely to work as the PS4 outputs 5.1 and that converter will not downmix 5.1 channels to 2.0 Stereo.

PS3 supported LCPM 5.1 downmix to 2.0 Stereo via the multi-link av connector.

I saved up for a Onkyo TX-NR626 which solves the problem nicely ;)

Doesn't the ps4 output 7.1?

Doesn't the ps4 output 7.1?

I believe he's referring to the digital optical output, which is 5.1 as he noted:

BZT4-MfIMAAxplj.jpg:large

Unlikely to work as the PS4 outputs 5.1 and that converter will not downmix 5.1 channels to 2.0 Stereo.

PS3 supported LCPM 5.1 downmix to 2.0 Stereo via the multi-link av connector.

I saved up for a Onkyo TX-NR626 which solves the problem nicely ;)
Will that converter accept 2ch PCM and convert it to analog? If so, the PS4 can output 2ch PCM over optical AFAIK. When you select Optical, you can prioritize the order of output by selecting PCM, DTS or DD IIRC. Since optical is only capable of 2ch PCM, I would think that the PS4 would downmix to stereo.

Or if his TV has an RCA stereo output, he can connect the PS4 straight to the TV and run RCA cables from his audio out to his receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn isnt there a simple solution to be able to get 5.1 from my HT since it doesnt have optical input?

TOSLink doesn't have the bandwidth for anything greater than 5.1.
Technically it doesn't have bandwidth for anything beyond regular stereo, 5.1 is achieved with lossy compression. 7.1 could be done with even lossier compression, but I'm not sure the resulting sound quality would be worth it... Enough people think dolby digital is atrocious enough already. :)

Anybody else experiencing frequent system crashes when using the Netflix app? Netflix app on my PS4 seems to becoming more unstable over time....

Has anyone seen any torture tests of PS4 yet? PS3 famously ran - for hours, I believe - in a hot sauna with no noticeable ill effects. Would be interesting to see something similar with this new gen of consoles, see if it would work at all or if the console shuts off/"red-lights", as alledgedly witnessed in smuggled-out images before launch.

The component that would probably have the most difficulty with such an experiment should be the harddrive. I don't know if the HDD sat inside the PS3 in the original test, but if it did that drive was of a much older generation, today's drives push a lot more data onto the platters, and reliably reading that data could be problematic at upwards of 90C or more. :p

The "hot" sauna in the PS3 experiment was under 50c. 120 fahrenheit. Still a nasty environment, but not what a sauna is all about :)

Bah. Only 50C? What a disappointment! *sigh* (And yeah, I agree - 50C is not worthy being called sauna! 120C instead of F - damn, that's really something.)

Oh well. Maybe someone could volunteer to subject a PS4 to a weaksauce 45-50C? Heh. Someone who can afford a new PS4, potentially. :LOL: Who did the previous torture test, IGN, Engadget, someone like that...?

The install process is really nice, I can home turned on the ps4, inserted the Tomb Raider disc, I could hear the disc spin up, and not spin down again, install process in progress.

Returned later when I had time to play and it was ready. I also noticed that it had downloaded an update?

Returned later when I had time to play and it was ready. I also noticed that it had downloaded an update?

If you select a game and press Options, you can see the update history (change log) of any game or application.

If you select a game and press Options, you can see the update history (change log) of any game or application.

Yeah, but from the first days i got the impression that the PS4 wouldn't update a game if it hadn't been run at least once, which i thought was stupid. And now TR did update before i got a chance to play it, maybe they changed something.

The install process is really nice, I can home turned on the ps4, inserted the Tomb Raider disc, I could hear the disc spin up, and not spin down again, install process in progress.

Same here, it felt really good. I put in the disc and started cheking my PSn friend list and some screens I had taken earlier only to realise the game has already installed and updated and ready to play :D ! Really like these automation features of the ps4.

BTW, I just realised I cannot see my screens and video captures if I am not connected to the interwebs :( ! WTF. THe fact is these captures show up under the Profile section and profile is accessible only when one is online ! Does that mean I cannot see my videos and screens if I am not online even though the data is stored in my HDD ?!!?!?!? WTH kindof warped shit is that ? :???:

Back