New PS4 Smell

Do you play shooters? I have found that with the indented sticks, it's harder to get a smooth progressive movement because at some point, your will either be moving the stick by touching the edge of the stick to when you might be sealing it with your thumb (i.e. when you move the stick towards the thumb as opposed to away from it).

If you have a convex form, this happens less because moving the stick towards and away from your thumb gives you a more or less consistent hold of the stick.

Don't get me wrong, I find the DS4 to be by pretty much all accounts a better controller than the DS3. That's my only real gripe with it and this little detail (while you can get used to it) is quite noticable when you play shooters competitively (especially twichy ones, like CoD or BF4) where every micromovement on the stick will have a larger impact on your precision on screen.

Yup, I play shooters most of the time and the thing that is "working" for me with DS4 is that the thumbs actualy "rest" in that indent very well ! That makes precise ovements happen without a hitch. I, too, used to push the sticks "away" on the convex DS3 sticks, but I have founnd that on DS4, it can be done ith my thumbs still in the indents, and that makes thewhole experience so much more comfortable and precise. With DS3, when pushing away, which I used to do a LOT, i always had this felling of losing the stick or losing control, but with my thumbs always in theindents on the DS4, I am always in control, even if I have to suddenly make a quick preicise move to aim when I am pushing the stick to the edge.

I think, my guess, the experience might be a bit different for hands of different sizes. My hands aren't particularly large, they might be actually smaller than most as I am short guy, below 6feet ( oops, i forgot my exact height :oops: , 5 feet 7 or 8 or 9 ) and have never been in sports. So, expect computer user kind "thin" hands.

... and I also sending my regards to Mr. Yoshida

dual.jpg

I have PS4 for few days and my experience is quite mixed, sure it is upgrade in performace but everything else is step backward from PS3. It looks like PS4 is just gaming console and not much more.

My biggest problems so far:

- PS4 rely too much on HDMI EDID information, they should let users decide what video/audio output they want (just like on the PS3)

- Video Output Settings - Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Range - Full doesn't work. Blu-ray playback is always in Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Range - Limited.

It's not bad for a launch machine. For me in the Netherlands (and probably most of Europe), it's the first time since I can remember that we got something at launch. I always noticed how many stuff was fixed by the time of the European launch (say late March or in April).

I have my PS3 put on again to honour the last days of MAG with a final clan battle and was surprised how much I already got used to the PS4. Controller felt horrible (+ it`s pretty worn out), the store runs at 10 fps or so on PS3. Glad I can go back to PS4 now.
Still , now it`s about time to release some Feature updates Sony...

... and I also sending my regards to Mr. Yoshida
You know... I was scratching my head (figuratively), looking at that picture, thinking of what it was I was supposed to be looking for. For example, was the controller imitating a sitting dog with its paws in the air...what? I was confounded, until I noticed it.

Ha! Ghetto solution for sure, but yeah, it works... :p

You know... I was scratching my head (figuratively), looking at that picture, thinking of what it was I was supposed to be looking for. For example, was the controller imitating a sitting dog with its paws in the air...what? I was confounded, until I noticed it.

Ha! Ghetto solution for sure, but yeah, it works... :p

Weird but the first thing I saw was a little Octonaut style dog thing sat there with its paws up... Are we really that conditioned to imagine something like that when it is attached to a Japanese meme?

I have my PS3 put on again to honour the last days of MAG with a final clan battle and was surprised how much I already got used to the PS4. Controller felt horrible (+ it`s pretty worn out), the store runs at 10 fps or so on PS3. Glad I can go back to PS4 now.
Still , now it`s about time to release some Feature updates Sony...

Same here. I hooked up my ps3 yesterday to download Dishonored GOTY and I realised how shitty DS3 is :LOL: ! And I used to love it so much. My hands are so used to the DS4 now, not even a month with it, just 20 days, shows how well designed the DS4 is.

The X360 pad on my PC never made me hate the DS3, in fact it was never comfortable for me. I used to love the DS3 over the 360 pad, but DS4 has changed everything. Even the D-pad is so much better than DS3. Its like a whole new gen of controller.

The only thing that is pissing me off more n more each day is the R1 button getting stuck. I am spamming R1 like hell in Warframe and it just doesn't feel right when its stuck. Spotting in BF4 also suffers when I don't get the feedback from the button. I never really know whether I have pressed it already or do I need to go again :mad: ! A blemish on an otherwise brilliant controller.

Personally, I still think the DS3 is bettter. Much lighter, all buttons serve a useful purpose (and are easy to click unlike the frustrating "options" button on the DS4) and most importatly a reasonable amount of playtime per battery charge. The DS4 is OK but until the trackpad does something better than act as a single huge button it is less functional than its predecessor. The battery charge time is not acceptable and is made worse by the OS's handling of accounts.

Cheers

The battery charge time is not acceptable and is made worse by the OS's handling of accounts. Cheers

The battery life is not where I would like it to be; after 7 years I can still get a weekend of play out of a single SixAxis charge. How does the OS handling of accounts impact it?

It's annoying when the PS4 prompts to indicate which user to log in as every time I push the PS button on my controller - there is only one user on the console to begin with! I don't think that actually hits battery life much though... :)

And yeah, the battery capacity IS too small compared to the hardware they stuffed into that controller. Either some device in there is not powersaving like it perhaps should, or... *shrug* I dunno. It's a bit irritating actually and I'm tempted to leave my controller plugged in most of the time. It would also prevent irritating fiddling when watching movies due to the controller having gone to sleep.

- PS4 rely too much on HDMI EDID information, they should let users decide what video/audio output they want (just like on the PS3)

Interesting. I was thinking the same thing too, but haven't actually run into any problems so far, which I am really happy about.

Have you encountered any problems?

My biggest concern was wrong EDID information being used. I have a Rotel pre-amp/processor and when fiddling around with XBMC (X11/xorg.conf settings) I noticed that some devices use the EDID from the processor rather than the displaying device which would be the projector it's hooked up to. Luckily, the PS4 seems to find the correct mode for 1080/60p so I guess I'm happy it seems to work fine.

It's annoying when the PS4 prompts to indicate which user to log in as every time I push the PS button on my controller - there is only one user on the console to begin with!.

This has been raised before. Although your PS4 may only have one account (the primary/owner account), potentially any PS4 owner with a PSN account could be loggin in.

If you invite over a PS4 owning buddy they can login on a controller and get trophies from games.

Interesting. I was thinking the same thing too, but haven't actually run into any problems so far, which I am really happy about.

Have you encountered any problems?

I wouldn't say encountered, I was smashed over my head with HDMI EDID problems.

I have this setup:
PS4 --> 1 in/ 4 out HDMI splitter --> TV, monitor, AV reciever

problems:
- trying to get 24 fps blu-ray playback out of PS4 (worked with PS3 and my Sony TV)
- switching between HDMI audio LPCM 5.1 and 2.0 (not a problem on PS3)

I wasn't able to get 24 fps playback until I let PS4 read EDID from AV reciever, EDID from Sony TV didn't work.

I wasn't able to get LPCM 5.1 on HDMI until I let PS4 read EDID from AV reciever and after that switching between 2.0 and 5.1 can be done only be setting Optical Out or HDMI as your primary audio output.

If you invite over a PS4 owning buddy they can login on a controller and get trophies from games.
Yeah, and if I invite over Aunt Beru, she can stew some bantha heads for lunch for us.

NO. Stop bothering me, stupid console!

This is overthinking. I'm already logged in. I am logged in, automatically, when the console boots up. When I press the PS button, obviously that's me who is doing that, the person who is already logged in. If someone else wants to log in, then they can do that from the XMB, manually. No need to slap a godfucked login screen every every EVERY time I wake up my own controller. Jesus!

I'm guessing you're the only person who uses your PS4? Because if there are two or more people who use it, that's what it's for. Perhaps you should tweet yosp and ask for some kind of 'hermit' option? ;)

If I understand Grall right, I agree with him. It's not that uncommon for my controller to switch off, especially after a film which can be sociable. Waking the controller should just return to the currently logged in account, the one playing the video, without requesting a user login.

If I understand Grall right, I agree with him. It's not that uncommon for my controller to switch off, especially after a film which can be sociable. Waking the controller should just return to the currently logged in account, the one playing the video, without requesting a user login.

Ah I see. I've not used my PS4 for movies yet so I've not had this. Some additional options for auto-login needed then. Plus a hermit mode. The man thinks Aunt Beru is his friend and hasn't wondered why he's not heard from her lately :eek:

I wouldn't say encountered, I was smashed over my head with HDMI EDID problems.

I have this setup:
PS4 --> 1 in/ 4 out HDMI splitter --> TV, monitor, AV reciever

problems:
- trying to get 24 fps blu-ray playback out of PS4 (worked with PS3 and my Sony TV)
- switching between HDMI audio LPCM 5.1 and 2.0 (not a problem on PS3)

I wasn't able to get 24 fps playback until I let PS4 read EDID from AV reciever, EDID from Sony TV didn't work.

I wasn't able to get LPCM 5.1 on HDMI until I let PS4 read EDID from AV reciever and after that switching between 2.0 and 5.1 can be done only be setting Optical Out or HDMI as your primary audio output.

Interesting. I'm guessing you're aim with your setup is because your AV receiver doesn't have enough HDMI ports? So you're effectively splitting up audio and video, sending audio to your AV revceiver, while video goes directly to your displaying device of choice?

Sounds quite complex. Does splitting actually work without HDCP issues?

From my experience; if you have a similar set-up like I have where

PS4 -----------> surround processor / AVR ---------------> TV

Then the PS4 will get the EDID from the surround processor, and not the TV (because the TV might be turned off while the surround processor / AVR is already on). This can be problematic if the AVR sends an incorrect EDID. In the case with my XBMC, the EDID from my AVR made my XBMC output 1080i instead of p.

Back