New PS4 Smell

There's another observation I wanted to add to the whole PS4 experience;

The share button, which I originally labeled as could be better. The share button is an excellent idea IMO, but it's flawed in one aspect, that hopefully can be corrected - though I have my doubts:

As far as I understand, the concept is, play a game, have a great moment and at any time by pressing the Share button, the last 15 minutes (which are continuesly cached, probably by being a side benefit of the remote-play functionality) are saved to the harddrive.

This is actually quite a good idea. When I used this to record a session of Resogun, I noticed that the video it had saved, was actually 15 minutes long, when in fact, I only wanted to share the last session / level of around 4 minutes of gameplay. Everything before that was the previous level (and somewhat annoyingly starts right at the middle with a lot of game-over screens inbetween).

What would be a lot better is if developers had access to the framework / mechanic and could set a flag or something like a track list - "level start" - "level end". Then, when you press the share button, you could effectively have a trimmed version of just the last level or session you played.

By not having this, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people upload a lot of rubbish because of 30 seconds to a few minutes of actual gameplay they wanted to share. And given these videos are around 700MB in size, they are quite substantial to upload.

Not sure if they can solve this, as developers would need to have access to it at some level (to set the flags, given every game is different). It's a pitty, because while the share function is quite cool - it constantly sharing the full length is simply overkill for the purpose. Makes you wonder to what extent these functions are actually thought-through... :???:

I haven't actually checked, but I wonder what would happen if I start a game of Resogun (or any game) and after 2 minutes, decide to share. Will the XMB stuff be on it as well? What if I press the PS button in the middle of a game? In the worst case, I would expect the XMB to pop up in the video as well, in the best case, the pause-screen of the game itself. With a flag system, this could be somewhat solved and reduced entirely without having to include a trimming software that you need to use before uploading content.

The share button, which I originally labeled as could be better. The share button is an excellent idea IMO, but it's flawed in one aspect, that hopefully can be corrected - though I have my doubts:

As far as I understand, the concept is, play a game, have a great moment and at any time by pressing the Share button, the last 15 minutes (which are continuesly cached, probably by being a side benefit of the remote-play functionality) are saved to the harddrive.

This is actually quite a good idea. When I used this to record a session of Resogun, I noticed that the video it had saved, was actually 15 minutes long, when in fact, I only wanted to share the last session / level of around 4 minutes of gameplay. Everything before that was the previous level (and somewhat annoyingly starts right at the middle with a lot of game-over screens inbetween).

What would be a lot better is if developers had access to the framework / mechanic and could set a flag or something like a track list - "level start" - "level end". Then, when you press the share button, you could effectively have a trimmed version of just the last level or session you played.

By not having this, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people upload a lot of rubbish because of 30 seconds to a few minutes of actual gameplay they wanted to share. And given these videos are around 700MB in size, they are quite substantial to upload.

Not sure if they can solve this, as developers would need to have access to it at some level (to set the flags, given every game is different). It's a pitty, because while the share function is quite cool - it constantly sharing the full length is simply overkill for the purpose. Makes you wonder to what extent these functions are actually thought-through... :???:

I haven't actually checked, but I wonder what would happen if I start a game of Resogun (or any game) and after 2 minutes, decide to share. Will the XMB stuff be on it as well? What if I press the PS button in the middle of a game? In the worst case, I would expect the XMB to pop up in the video as well, in the best case, the pause-screen of the game itself. With a flag system, this could be somewhat solved and reduced entirely without having to include a trimming software that you need to use before uploading content.

You can select in and out point on the videos before you upload them.

It's kinda funny when you think about it. Being able to view and play media (music/photos/video) on the HDD is integral to the gameplay sharing side of things too. It would help being able to test-out and view screenshots and video footage before uploading to Facebook/Twitter, same goes for transferring that media to USB for indirectly sharing and editing through other better software methods.

Also, I would love to see Sony add a burst-shot mode for screenshots. Allowing you to go through a file containing all the grouped screenshots, then checkbox-delete the ones that you don't want.

Note: I don't have PS4, so some of these things may already be possible. I'm just throwing out some possibilities...;)

Where do you upload the video to?

X1 lets people upload to Skydrive.

Does Sony have a dedicated server to host PS4 videos?

Videos can be timed and previewed before uploading. And of course you can preview and then change your mind and not upload :)

Videos can be timed and previewed before uploading. And of course you can preview and then change your mind and not upload :)

is it possible to keep them private? My daughter is terrified of the Playroom robots and screams every time I kick the big one and he sets my hair on fire. I'd love too record that and share with her later say her wedding day or in high school when her new guy friend comes to the house. :devilish: That said I don't it on Youtube or FB - that would be cruel... ;)

is it possible to keep them private? My daughter is terrified of the Playroom robots and screams every time I kick the big one and he sets my hair on fire. I'd love too record that and share with her later say her wedding day or in high school when her new guy friend comes to the house. :devilish: That said I don't it on Youtube or FB - that would be cruel... ;)

I'm pretty sure there's a simple way to keep a clip local without it being recycled through for the next 15 minutes of buffer. I'll have to play around with it when I get home. Keep in local and wait for them to add USB storage support.

When you trim a video the trimmed version is saved on disk. Also you can upload to facebook and make it private. Even more you can download it from facebook and delete it from site.

The trimming software serves the purpose though, and by having trimming software video editing and uploading is even more robust.

You can select trim sections down to the second. Setting flags all over every game is just adding unnecessary burden of work to the publishers when the end user can easily do it on their own.

With trimming the user has more flexibility at their disposal. I was able to upload clips of just several seconds, and they served their purpose great. Automating every little aspect is just silly when you can have so many more options with manual trimming. It takes literally 30 seconds to find the start and end of a clip, I mean... give me a break with this.

For your question: No, the XMB does not get included in the video. The video will stop recording when you hit Share, and a new video will start recording when you go back to the game.
Where do you upload the video to?

X1 lets people upload to Skydrive.

Does Sony have a dedicated server to host PS4 videos?
Currently uploading videos only works with Facebook.

It's kinda funny when you think about it. Being able to view and play media (music/photos/video) on the HDD is integral to the gameplay sharing side of things too. It would help being able to test-out and view screenshots and video footage before uploading to Facebook/Twitter, same goes for transferring that media to USB for indirectly sharing and editing through other better software methods.

Also, I would love to see Sony add a burst-shot mode for screenshots. Allowing you to go through a file containing all the grouped screenshots, then checkbox-delete the ones that you don't want.

Note: I don't have PS4, so some of these things may already be possible. I'm just throwing out some possibilities...;)
You can do all of those things except put screens and videos to USB.

You can take several pictures at a time, there is an option to switch a single instant press of the Share button to take a screenshot, instead of going to the Share menu, so you can take like 20 screens in a minute, not quite a "burst" but you can take many screens in a short time.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should support some more general common storage sites like Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, etc.

Some people want nothing to do with FB.

I am fairly sure the One supports API driven record moments. Haven't heard that for the PS4. But on the PS4, you can actually control start and stop of the video recording manually. Not sure how but I think I came across that on Gaf.

Did some streaming for the first time yesterday, pretty cool. Marcello from iWaggle3D popped in spontaneously and the we started a party chat during the streaming.

I am fairly sure the One supports API driven record moments. Haven't heard that for the PS4. But on the PS4, you can actually control start and stop of the video recording manually. Not sure how but I think I came across that on Gaf.

Did some streaming for the first time yesterday, pretty cool. Marcello from iWaggle3D popped in spontaneously and the we started a party chat during the streaming.

Double click the share button to start recording. Maybe it also works to stop as well, haven`t tried.

Double click the share button to start recording. Maybe it also works to stop as well, haven`t tried.

From the online manual:

PS4 Manual said:
When you know the scene you want to save

Press the SHARE button twice at the start of the scene you want to save, and then press the SHARE button again at the end of the scene. A video clip can be saved with a maximum of the past 15 minutes of gameplay video. The 15 minutes are measured backward from the moment when you press the SHARE button to end the scene.

Doesn't that mean you actually press the share button twice to mark the END of the clip, and then press it again to mark the START? That'd make more sense. Something cool has just happened that you want to share so you press the shortcut, and then need to choose the most appropriate time to start into the clip, ending in your awesome climax.

I guess this pauses the game, during online play, presumably sharing a clip means your player standing still for cannon fodder?

Doesn't that mean you actually press the share button twice to mark the END of the clip, and then press it again to mark the START? That'd make more sense. Something cool has just happened that you want to share so you press the shortcut, and then need to choose the most appropriate time to start into the clip, ending in your awesome climax.

I guess this pauses the game, during online play, presumably sharing a clip means your player standing still for cannon fodder?

The Share menu only comes up when your press the Share button for the appropriate duration (depends on settings). The double tap is always for recording video. A single tap can be used for a screenshot (if that's how you've set it up). In neither case does the Share menu come up. As for your question about the start and end of the clip with a double tap, I think you are incorrect (realizing the wording in the manual is awkward). I'll have to test later.

No, it's the other way around, because if you only press it singular, you enter the share-menu (I think). I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing, if you press it twice, then you might just get a tone or something to signal to you that a timeflag has been set - and once you press it once later, you'll enter the share-menu where the file will be saved to the hdd or can be uploaded.

I'll have to give it a try later when I'm home.

EDIT: Just spotted Gradthrawn's message... grr, disregard my post. I think I still lack the fundemental understanding how this stuff should work, because I haven't really used it (don't have facebook or twitter).

BTW: Do downloads and game-updates in stand-bye mode already work? I noticed that last night, the BF4 (and Resogun) update were only downloaded and installed once I turned the system on (coming from standby). Is standby downloads something that will come in the future or am I mistaken?

Back