New PS4 Smell

When I am in quiet room the drive makes a clear spin up sound when I insert the disc, I can hear it seek as well. The spin up sound is the loudest but nothing that annoys and the sound when the disc is up to speed is very low. With blu-ray movies you can hear the drive work when it loads menus and speeds up slows down, during movie playback there is nothing like that though.
Impressive work.

The cooling fan is also very quiet, I haven't actually paid attention to it yet..

Hmm, my disc drive makes a buzzing noise after a few seconds from boot up or the first few seconds of an install, but then goes away when the disc drive spins down. Googled to see if anyone else's PS4 makes this noise, and there were a few and they said it was normal. Seems like the noise is different unit to unit. I haven't had any issues with reading discs though. Thinking of exchanging it... hmmm...

It's the brushless disc hub motor. The sound is completely harmless and normal. If you exchange it - if they'll let you - you'll get another unit that sounds exactly the same.

The cooling fan is also very quiet, I haven't actually paid attention to it yet..

Yesterday, while playing Knack and dropping in and out of the desktop, and trying to sign into the PSN the PS4 was the most audible thing in the room. But today, the only difference being PSN access working, it's been whisper quiet all the time. Surprisingly so in fact. I was starting to wonder if the fan had failed but close up you can just about hear it.

So far very few games seem to have Dutch language support, just subtitles.

Ironically, for games I am used to have a lot of choice. Uncharted for instance allows me any combination of 14 or so languages and subtitles ...

I've seen people post screens using the share button and they were 1080p. When I took screens using the share button, they were 1024x576. How do you save full 1080p screens?

I've seen people post screens using the share button and they were 1080p. When I took screens using the share button, they were 1024x576. How do you save full 1080p screens?

What did you use to publish them? Sounds like you used Twitter ...

Better than Twitter afaik but still horribly compressed.

Until you get shot or hurt then it slowly changes to red :)

In NFS Rivals the color is blue for Cops, or red for Racers, quite amusing.

I would like to set the default color of my DS4 manually, as I'm the only guy using my system it doesn't matter which color I use...except, I can't. Oh well. Maybe in the future then. Who knows. :)

I've been gaming so much this weekend, it's crazy. To stay in the theme, I even watched Video Game High School on Netflix ... And then GT6 is coming this Friday too, and Playstation Mobile is coming to The Netherlands, gah.

No dice finding my PS4 from work using the Vita, by the way, which is to be expected - lots of stuff is probably locked down, even on the Guest network.

Trophy level is 13 now though ... look forward to that becoming 14 already.

Well, I'm one of the few lucky ones, it seems.

Actually, I'm so lucky - I have two! :cool:

Stood in line Thursday evening and was able to get one for myself (a lot of people stood in line) and even the next day too when the PS4 officially went on sale, there were reports of various stores with people camping outside and chaos as the doors opened. The PS4 was sold out instantly and apparently, the waiting lists are quite long. Anyway, I have another one that I actually can pick up from a preorder I did back in June. So... if there's anyone here that is from Switzerland and couldn't get one, PM me.

Anyway - I pretty much played the entire weekend. I have Resogun, Flower, Battlefield 4 and KZ:SF.

Resogun is pure awesomeness. At first, I thought the graphics weren't all that impressive until there was more going on. The particles are simply overwhelming.

KZ:SF and Battlefield 4 both are very good. Graphically KZ:SF is in another world, but BF4 isn't far and runs so buttery smooth. Still haven't completed neither, but I'm pretty sure that won't take long.

As for the PS4...

i like...
- it's so small
- it's practically noiseless (definately quieter than my PS3slim (1st generation)
- DS4 is very comfortable
- the supplied headset surprisingly works quite well and sound quality is very good (a lot better than on PS3)
- PSN speeds are good - around 20-60Mbps in Switzerland
- XMB runs very smooth, even when coming directly from a game
- oh, and party chat rules
- DS4 holds out for 8 to 10 hours with headset - IMO good enough

not likes:
- kind of prefered the older XMB better. New one is more practical, but less nice
- friendslist is an improvement, but could be so much better
- share button is nice, but again, could be better
- don't like the integration with facebook. So I need facebook to have my own profile picture? Fail.
- Name request is nice, but not everyone wants to supply their full name. Not everyone is into Facebook style name-sharing!

Then there are a few things that I am a bit unsure about. So if I have one login, how do I create more? The only time I see the option to add a new user is if I connect a 2nd controller and the system prompts me to chose a user or create one? Is there a different way?

Back