New PS4 Smell

Can you turn the light off at the back of the controller?

Perhaps that would improve the woeful battery life.

It would be ridiculous if you couldn't turn it off since the majority of PS4 owners won't have PS Eye and therefore it'd be wasting energy for no additional functionality (indeed i'm sure the light bleed would get annoying when playing in darkened environments).

It would be ridiculous if you couldn't turn it off since the majority of PS4 owners won't have PS Eye and therefore it'd be wasting energy for no additional functionality (indeed i'm sure the light bleed would get annoying when playing in darkened environments).

I don't see any way to turn off the light.

If the developers don't use it for in-game ambience and effects, I suppose the savvy ones will turn it way down.

Open the controller and remove the LED. A worthy experiment ;)

anyone else have opinions/observations about the fan noise? Trying to figure out if my PS4 is defective or thats just how the noise is and deal with it.
My PS4 is quite a bit quieter than my PS3 slim, which was quieter than my launch PS3. During gameplay (BF4), it barely gets any louder.

I did some power draw measurements:
Powered off - Didn't register (0.05w or less)
Standby - 10-11w
PDM (PS Dynamic Menu) - 85w
Gaming (BF4) - 123-131w
Gaming (BF4) + PDM - 140w

My BF4 disc was in the entire time (dunno if that affects anything).

Also timed my startup from standby (no downloads) and from powered off using an HGST 7K1000 1TB 7200RPM HDD:
Standby: ~22s
Powered off: ~20s

Apparently if a download is active in standby, it will startup almost instantly. While in standby, I can faintly hear something running (HDD?). Didn't test the startup times with the stock HDD.

PS4's auto RGB range setting is pretty much useless. Set my Panasonic to RGB Full and Auto output Limited range. Auto settings never seem to work on any device or display in my experience... I always recommend setting them manually.

Anyway, after 1.5 hours of BF4 and playing around with my new PS4, I haven't experienced a single problem yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my PS4, extra controller, BF4 and KZ SF. :D

First impressions:
-Console and controller look very sexy (controller looks very nice in person)
-DS4 sticks are smaller than I thought (not a complaint)
-Controller feels very nice as expected
-HDD was very easy to replace, even easier than the PS3

edit:
-Installed the OS to my HGST 7K1000 1TB drive (861GB available)
-Console is quieter than my PS3 slim in the PDM/XMB, but I haven't played any games yet.

No issues yet after the initial setup and configuring some things. Will start playing either KZ or BF4 later tonight.

I just got called by my store to confirm my pre-order (from back in June, no deposit needed) and asking what bundle I wanted. I asked if they had the 499 Killzone, 2nd DS4 and PS Eye bundle, and they did, so I went for that. Very pleased. :) Can pick it up when the store opens on the 29th, and that happens to be a Friday, which is very convenient as I never work Fridays. :)

If I download Lego Marvel Super Heroes, how big is that? Would be awesome if I managed to get that downloaded before my son comes home, which is entirely possible if I get the system early enough I think. ;)

Thats the best bundle out there, hope they bring that here too, as we usually get whatever Europe gets.

So good to see all of you guys getting ur ps4s.......for me the wait continues >.<

It's still used in games for a variety of indicators. But I could imagine it would become an optional setting like vibration that could be turned on or off in most games.

That won't make much of a difference for battery life. LEDs draw very little power.

Still a option to turn them off would be nice.

Actually, LEDs draw quite a lot of power, which is why the screen lightbar in a cellphone or tablet is by far the biggest consumer of power in the system, and in laptops, the second biggest after the CPU/GPU (if present).

If you open up a move controller, you'll find that the glowstick has a battery roughly 300% larger than in the navigation thingy, largely because of the LEDs (as the rumble motor won't be doing anything most of the time, while the LEDs glow constantly.)

Actually, LEDs draw quite a lot of power, which is why the screen lightbar in a cellphone or tablet is by far the biggest consumer of power in the system, and in laptops, the second biggest after the CPU/GPU (if present).

If you open up a move controller, you'll find that the glowstick has a battery roughly 300% larger than in the navigation thingy, largely because of the LEDs (as the rumble motor won't be doing anything most of the time, while the LEDs glow constantly.)

That surprised me so I looked it up. Turns out there are indeed LEDs that consume a lot of power.

If it is the cause of the shorter battery life, then I find it strange that Sony would leave them on by default.

I thought some people might be curious about the update process. Here is how long it takes to go from 1.50 to 1.51:

Download Time: Unknown (was already downloaded when I stopped home for lunch).
Preparing to Install: 1m 37s
Reboot to Safe Mode: 0m 47s
Safe Mode Install: 0m 17s
Reboot to Login: 0m 31s
Total Time from Pressing "Start" on the update screen to being back at the login screen ready to go: 3m 13s

1m 18s was spent on reboots, 1m 54s on the install process.

If it is the cause of the shorter battery life, then I find it strange that Sony would leave them on by default.
I think it's to avoid remarks/complaints of much shorter battery life whenever the camera is present and enabled and the lightbar is glowing, so sony just burns the LEDs all the time to get a consistent user experience. My speculation I admit, but I think there's some logic to it...

LEDs surely eat a lot of battery life.

Ever used a PS Move controller?

I vividly remember ordering that charging dock very quickly after my first few tries at motion gaming ... ;)

Back