New PS4 Smell

Ambient noise was already 40dB and sound from 3M was 41dB while gaming. DF says that it was barely noticeable from that distance.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4

I'll be getting mine on Tuesday and I'll compare it to my PS3 slim. Most reports I've heard have the PS4 between the PS3 slim and super slim, which seems to be more than fine for me. But again, everyone's sensitivity to sound differs.

I think you will be able to hear it too, especially when the game is silent. But it comes and goes, and is a little unpredictable when I launched KZSF for the first few times.

Would be better if they just cached all the data locally and not updated right when the user is interacting with the menus. You update at another time. Once a day, whatever. No need to hit servers every god damn time the user pushes a button.

My guess is the UI may be preloading up-to-date activities info to prepare for your next move/click. They can probably tune the period though. It is ok to show info that is 15 minutes old for a start.

Edit: probably need to test it more systematically. At launch, there may be more new info to download and upload.

It is ok to show info that is 15 minutes old for a start.
Seriously here, how often could a set of console menus realistically really be updated? I know this is the era of persistent internet connections, social network and instant-everything, but c'mon here... It's just a menu system isn't it? Why would it need to update all the time, to the point that it impacts the user experience, and thus customer satisfaction?

Seriously here, how often could a set of console menus realistically really be updated? I know this is the era of persistent internet connections, social network and instant-everything, but c'mon here... It's just a menu system isn't it? Why would it need to update all the time, to the point that it impacts the user experience, and thus customer satisfaction?

Lack of engineering time or engineering foresight?

It is not uncommon to fire off server updates when you click on a button. The web does it all the time without impacting your regular browsing significantly. These are typically asynchronous.

The Dynamic Menu is not just a menu system. It is a window into your PSN friends' activities, and vice versa.

The UI issue deathindustrial experienced may just be a client bug. e.g., If it's a race condition, the server may return its response too late, causing the waiting thread to jump to an old screen. In any case, these launch issues will be fixed by Sony.

EDIT: About 2 years ago, I heard Sony was evaluating a new web platform for playstation.com. They conducted extensive live tests but decided not to go ahead. The current PS4 integrated web platform may be a follow up to that exercise.

EDIT 2: I may have more time to play with PS4 tomorrow. ~:love:

EDIT 3: From the "What's New" page, I could see Grathrawn's live stream and other PSN activities rather quickly. Sony probably don't want me to miss his live stream. This is probably the kind of "active" experiences they want to target.

Only those who are streaming PS4 streams.

You get to choose between watching ustream or twitch.tv streams at the top level "Live from Playstation" app menu.

Thanks. I was hoping you could stream directly to one or two people without going through one of the streaming services.

Got my PS4 on the 15th but didn't get around to setting it up till this evening. My wife and daughter really had a good time with Lets Dance and afterwards we watched a DVD together. I have a Pioneer Elite Blu Ray player but wanted to see how the video quality was and I have to say I was impressed. The PS3 had very good DVD and Blu Ray playback and the PS4 appears to have similar attention to quality. I'd like to see some professional reviews but I can say it is seems to be a very competent DVD/Blu Ray player.

The browser is pretty useless, which is what I expected. Using a phone as a virtual keyboard makes things easier but at the end of the day for me at least browsing is best when you are right in front of the screen not to mention the UI just isn't ideal - touch screens, touch pads or mouse are IMO the best way to navigate around the web and I don't see that changing even if Sony gives this more attention.

Overall the system UI appears to be pretty well thought out although I got frustrated a couple times, my initial download of the 1.50 system update disappeared after it was completely downloaded. For some reason it stalled and when I exited out and restarted it was gone. In a somewhat similar situation I was downloading Warframe and it too got stuck on install and when I went back to the downloads I noticed it was listed twice and when I deleted the second one thinking it was a duplicate it deleted the first WF install which apparently was seperate for the second from the second but both are needed....

Camera seems to work well enough, tried some voice commands which worked flawlessly but as I have said in other threads VR isn't not my personal preference for navigating around my game/media device. I was somewhat disappointed with the quality of the image on screen of my daughter and I when we were playing around inside of the playroom - this might be due to me not spending any time trying to improve the quality and rushing somewhat to get it setup. Ironically my daughter seemed to be more interested in the robots from Playroom than anything else we did. I hope we get a new release of Eye Pet for PS4, I think she would like that.

Controller is really nice, best way I can describe it is like going from a Nissan to an Infiniti; same basic design just nicer quality all around. The touch pad BTW is not a gimmick IMO it actually makes sense and I think Sony is truly on to something there.

Finally PSN is as slow as molasses in winter - I remember expressing concerns about network infrastructure a couple weeks ago and it appears my fears were well placed. I'd feel bad for anyone attempting to buy any of the games online and then having to wait to download... Seriously if the game is out of stock but anywhere within 100 miles you'd be better off driving or ordering from Amazon - I wouldn't even hazard a guess on how long it would take to get access to your title if you opt for a digital download Currently I have War Frame, Contrast, Resogun, DC Universe, Blacklight and all the apps (Amazon, Netflix, VUDU, HULU and Crunchyroll) all downloading and it would not surprise if me if it take several days to get access to this stuff.

I think Sony has designed a nice replacement to the PS3 but its going to take some time to reach its potential.

Coming out of standby with things downloading in the background takes between 2 and 3 seconds. At the 2 second mark the audio starts playing again, 3 seconds and video is back (you're on the log in screen). This is after the drive upgrade. I'll have to test again once my download queue clears out.

What is the spec of your new drive ?

Not fast enough to cut the time down from 28 seconds to 3, I can pretty much guarantee you that much at least. It's a Samsung 830 Series (256GB). SATA 3 6 Gbps (not likely relevant for PS4) MLC flash based SSD. I think it has a dual core controller and 256 MB of DDR3 cache. But I'm going off fuzzy memory here. I've got my eye on the 840 Pros and 840 Evos as the next upgrade step. Once everything settles down (downloads/installs complete) I'll re-test the standby and cold boot modes. I did 1 cold boot test before getting distracted and doing something else and it seemed to be improved by 1 second, IIRC.

EDIT:

Specs directly from the box:
-3-core MCX controller
256MB DDR2 SDRAM cache

With a cleared download queue, and all games fully updated (ie no pending background tasks) I rested the start-up with the replaced drive (drive specs noted above:

From a Cold Boot: 21 seconds (video to display at about 16 - 18 seconds, at login screen at 21 seconds)
From stand-by: 23 seconds.(video output to display at about 16 seconds, at login screen at 23 seconds)

So the new drive shaved about 5 seconds from standby but only about 1 (1.5 at best) from a cold boot. Each test run 3 separate times. Times recorded from the boot "beep". Previous results below:

HGST Z5K500-500 (Original Drive):
Cold Boot: 22 seconds
Standby, 29 seconds.

Samsung 830 (256 GB):
Cold Boot: 21 seconds
Standby: 23 seconds

Samsung 830 (256 GB): (with active downloads in queue)
Cold Boot: 21 seconds
Standby: 3 seconds

Finally PSN is as slow as molasses in winter - I remember expressing concerns about network infrastructure a couple weeks ago and it appears my fears were well placed. I'd feel bad for anyone attempting to buy any of the games online and then having to wait to download... Seriously if the game is out of stock but anywhere within 100 miles you'd be better off driving or ordering from Amazon - I wouldn't even hazard a guess on how long it would take to get access to your title if you opt for a digital download Currently I have War Frame, Contrast, Resogun, DC Universe, Blacklight and all the apps (Amazon, Netflix, VUDU, HULU and Crunchyroll) all downloading and it would not surprise if me if it take several days to get access to this stuff.

You can't base network capabilities off the first week of PS4 release.

Gradthrawn does fan spin while the console in the awake standby mode (when there are some downloads in progress)?

Back