Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
God damn it. Is it real time or not? We ve got two links saying the opposite story

DF is speculating like anyone else, based on absence of the word "realtime".
Gamingbolt piece may be a result of "miscommunication" though. :)

No, it is definitely real-time, (as my post yesterday might hint) I had one of their devs explicitly confirm to me yesterday that it is running in real time, on a single PS4 and not pre-recorded.

Beginning with Uncharted 4, all Naughty Dog games will feature completely in engine, real time, 3D cutscenes (if they even stay cutscenes anymore), a huge performance departure from what they used to ship.

So I then asked Richard about it and whether he could spot any signs that the trailer was real time, which he did in his updated post:

We've studied the video in a little more depth and have concluded that it's definitely running at native 1080p resolution (as opposed to being rendered at a very high resolution, then scaled down - a process known as super-sampling). Small clipping anomalies, a touch of specular aliasing on Nate's shirt as he sits up, along with some shadow aliasing on his forehead also suggest a real-time render. On the face of it, we're still looking at some pretty incredible anti-aliasing here for a real-time technique on a game running at 60fps, particularly when it comes to the perfect, artefact-free rendering of Nate's hair - but the combination of the low contrast setting, slow camera movement, motion blur and depth of field would work well generally in making aliasing much less of an issue.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-uncharted-4-and-the-last-of-us-at-60-fps

But wow, what an incredible achievement coming less than a year into the PS4's life.
And at 60fps no less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, its 1080p, 60fps and 3D? like more than 2 of those at the same time?

Btw, it was only the PS3 generation where Naughty dog dint use realtime cinematics (Jak 2 and 3 had really beefed up quality in the cutscenes)

Wow. I think someone else said this earlier, but I had high expectations for ND, and they have surpassed them. The 60fps part especially.

3D as in 3D graphics (not as in stereoscopic).
Lol good, I was beginning to think that Sony had its very own misterxmedia for a second.

I was amazed when I saw the demo. But then I was completely astonished when they said targeting 60fps. Seriously what the hell? How the hell are they doing this? Was compute way more powerful than once thought? I can't express how awesome this is. My second point of amazement is how they decided to go for lower fidelity 60fps instead of 30fps. That's not a move I thought Naught Dog would make, considering they are the best in the industry when it comes to graphical prowess.

Are they not able to create assets at a high enough detail to take advantage of a lower framerate??

Did Sony secretly put an R9 in there?

Well yes, they did. Architecture of PS4 GPU supports beefed up DC queues that are also part of PC R9 line.

I would have liked for them to go with at least 28-34 CU modules, but they went with 20 [2 for yield redundancy].

I'm speechless.

Yeah, I was floored when I heard it. In fact, it seemed so unbelievably clean and detailed (at 1080p, 60 fps no less) that it gave me pause from posting it was real time (even though I had a dev confirm to me that was the case)

Especially as you, our resident CGI expert, thought it was supersampled:
The direct feed looks way to clean, absolutely no artifacting from geometry aliasing, texture filtering, shadows or anything. I'd say it might even be using a different "cinematic" lighting system the way TLOU did.

Just check out the fly, such tiny pieces of geometry will never be that sharp without supersampling. Same goes for eyelashes.

Does it detract anything from the game or the trailer? Not at all.

Should we expect the same quality for gameplay though? Not likely.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1853622&postcount=184

I told Shifty yesterday that it was confirmed as real-time to me, and whether he could spot any signs of it being so, but he couldn't.

So big props to Richard for picking up the tell-tale signs of native 1080p rendering (as opposed to supersampling)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it is definitely real-time, (as my post yesterday might hint) I had one of their devs explicitly confirm to me yesterday that it is running in real time, on a single PS4 and not pre-recorded.

Beginning with Uncharted 4, all Naughty Dog games will feature completely in engine, real time, 3D cutscenes (if they even stay cutscenes anymore), a huge performance departure from what they used to ship.

So I then asked Richard about it and whether he could spot any signs that the trailer was real time, which he did in his updated post:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-uncharted-4-and-the-last-of-us-at-60-fps

But wow, what an incredible achievement coming less than a year into the PS4's life.
And at 60fps no less.

What do you mean by 3D cutscene ?

EDIT: Ah okay. He clarified.

There is a teeny weeny bit of aliasing on his forearm if you look closely. Most tends to be hidden by DOF & night time & motion blur.

Yeah but there's the fly, thin geometry aliases a LOT and the post AA algorithms should fail utterly at the reconstruction... I don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back