Trials Fusion [PS4, XO]

Hardcore players do care. We had a bug in an earlier Trials game that caused the full 3-2-1-GO! countdown for every track restart (instead of the 1 second long READY-GO). There was a huge riot in our forums. Instant restart is a key game play feature of the Trials series. Hiding slightly blurred textures for a few frames isn't a good enough reason to break one of the most important game play features.

A single track can use every single object and texture in the game. All tracks are build in the same (free roaming) 16 square kilometer game world (track can be long enough to visit every single location in the game world), and all tracks can use any combination of objects. We don't want to limit our users with tight texture memory budgets or limit the area where they could build their level. Virtual texturing provides pretty much infinite texture budget, and that's a great thing for a game filled with user created content.

The instant restart is one of the great features of the game. Playing trials HD, crashing hundreds of times on the same checkpoint of an extreme track, would have been horrible with that extra 3 seconds added after each restart. The instant restart is what allows the game to be incredibly difficult without getting frustrating. Don't listen to these people!!!

How much of a head start do I need to give all you light weights before I boot up Trials Fusion and squash your times? The last time I checked out the Trials thread I had an 8 week victory streak with no faults :devilish:

No, seriously, how many month head start do you ladies need?

/me hopes all platforms have a unified leader board.

Hardcore players do care. We had a bug in an earlier Trials game that caused the full 3-2-1-GO! countdown for every track restart (instead of the 1 second long READY-GO). There was a huge riot in our forums. Instant restart is a key game play feature of the Trials series. Hiding slightly blurred textures for a few frames isn't a good enough reason to break one of the most important game play features.

100% correct. Anyone who plays Trials for any extended length of time attempting to Gold/Plat every course knows this.

Alright Sebbi, I'm back on the team!

The 2nd set of hard tracks are much more fun and just did the first extreme track before shutting it down.

I also disabled the announcer which immediately boosted the fun factor!

I'm still not a fan of the future them and excessive moving platforms and gimmicks on the earlier tracks but atleast most that fluff is kept out of the hard tracks.

Alright Sebbi, I'm back on the team!
Good to hear that :)
The 2nd set of hard tracks are much more fun and just did the first extreme track before shutting it down.
The consensus among hardcore payers seem to be that the hard and extreme tracks are better than ever, but the beginner, easy and medium levels are too easy for seasoned players (too "roller coaster" style). Let me know if you manage to zero fault Inferno 4, I still haven't done that :(

The team knows that there are some bugs and stupid glitches (like being able to use FMX tricks to improve your time in some beginner tracks) currently in the game. We are committed for this game on long run. There will be several free feature updates (and bug fix patches) coming. I am personally looking at the frame rate problems (in the worst case the fps drops occasionally down to 55. That's not acceptable).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just re-played the very first track an beat Arwin's time :)

Come on bro, let's fight it out :D

By the way: left part of touch pad worked for insta replay.

Dunno if you can comment, but are patches and updates free for the next-gen platforms?
Of course the patches/updates are free :)

We are introducing many new features after the launch for free. Our creative director (Antti Ilvessuo) just tweeted about the forthcoming new tournaments mode. A completely new multiplayer mode will also be released as a future update. The time schedule for these updates and any other new features haven't yet been announced.

Sorry, I meant free to distribute over the console networks, not to end users. Reportedly these cost on XB360 and PS3, resulting in games not getting ongoing support. I believe the console companies have addressed this and developers are free to roll out patches and updates for customers without a financial penalty, but it'd be nice if you could confirm.

I like the game so far. Getting used to the physics and starting to click with the level design, getting some good times on first try or first clean runs now. Great game for short bursts.

Medium tracks are too easy, but the game is still very good. The difficulty curve is a lot shallower than previous games. These tracks are more about speed and jumps. Not much focus on climbing obstacles, varying speed or precise landings. I've heard the hard, extreme tracks are very good. Looking forward to it.

I think the game starts off with enough difficulty. The first tron-like track with all the moving platforms was actually quite challenging. And having 5 other times to compete against really helps too. Many of us simply have too much experience with the game already. ;) But it is still hard to find the fastest way.

I do feel you maintain a bit too much speed during air-time, but I don't have any physics knowledge to back that up. Just feels that there should be more points whereI would be much faster with a small jump and then being able to accelerate than staying in the air.

We are introducing many new features after the launch for free. Our creative director (Antti Ilvessuo) just tweeted about the forthcoming new tournaments mode. A completely new multiplayer mode will also be released as a future update. The time schedule for these updates and any other new features haven't yet been announced.

I saw you used "high quality" FXAA3 in the PS4/XB1 version, could you tell us how much does it cost? (like 0.6ms GPU time...).

Also did you consider SMAA 1x (just the basic morphological post AA) and if yes, how much does it cost, at least comparatively versus FXAA3?

I think the game starts off with enough difficulty. The first tron-like track with all the moving platforms was actually quite challenging. And having 5 other times to compete against really helps too. Many of us simply have too much experience with the game already. ;) But it is still hard to find the fastest way.

I do feel you maintain a bit too much speed during air-time, but I don't have any physics knowledge to back that up. Just feels that there should be more points whereI would be much faster with a small jump and then being able to accelerate than staying in the air.

Been playing quite a bit today and still feel this way. Hardest track I encountered so far was one with two green floating objects. It doesn't help that I am determined to do every track faultless before going to the next, but I feel that I need to do it like that, or the later tracks will become to frustrating, like last time when I played HD on the 360.

Also got two times beat by xmu today that I got notifications for, and of course had to beat them right back (thankfully I still could, but that's not going to last ;) ).

I secretly hope you guys will do a top down racer sometime, with the same physics sensibility both in controls and track design. Then with both a top-down isometric view and a side view showing the landscape at the same time, it could give the freedom of having a full top-down track with old school Ironman (if anyone remembers) fun?

By the way, good call on the restart button being left press on track pad, works great, really comfortable. And also really happy the war theme is gone here.

EDIT: and now its the same as all the previous games. The difficulty spikes up and the retry counts go up north of 50 per race, and I am no longer having fun and getting too frustrated. :(

Well, ready to kill someone right now but, at least I have kept making progress, and so far the Expert tracks are much easier for me. Up to the Redlynx Derby now, and calling it a day.

Next time though, perhaps consider designing the tracks so that there are easy, medium, hard and expert routes through them or something, like there are upper and lower tracks sometimes now already.

The hard tracks are great. Pretty satisfied now. Still think the medium tracks are a little too easy. The difficulty ramps up pretty fast from medium to hard.

Don't listen to Arwin! Keep the hard tracks hard. Don't do split routes. The fun in the game is going from 250 fails per run down to faultless.

If you want to up your game, go to the leaderboard and watch some replays. That is still a feature, isn't it?

Back