Trials Fusion [PS4, XO]

I had to buy the game after trying the demo, so addictive :)

The lighting in this game is nice, i like it a lot.

Annoyed by the fmx stuff. Got through all the hard tracks. Barely any hard tracks though. Hopefully once I unlock extreme they are just pure tracks with no skill games or fmx bloat.

I liked how the skill games were separated from the core game in the previous versions.

This version seems less pure and more influenced by committee. Still a decent game.

Oh and framerate needs work on the xb1 version.

Maybe 6/10 so far

I liked how the skill games were separated from the core game in the previous versions.
That's just cosmetic change (less menu navigation). The game works exactly the same. Skill games / FMX are not counted for global leaderboards and the unlock mechanism hasn't changed either (medals earned from skill games were also counted towards event unlocking in Trials Evolution). Nothing is really changed there.
Oh and framerate needs work on the xb1 version.
Do you have the 1st day patch applied? It fixed several performance problems and texture streaming problems (on all the platforms). If you have the patch, then I am really interested in knowing in which levels you have noticed fps drops. Did you do something special, or just played normally? In our development version we have noticed tearing only in one track (drop to ~58 fps in two places), everything else has been running at rock solid 60 fps. I am quite surprised about people having frame rate problems with the game.
Hmm..played the Trials game on my ipad. I think I got addicted :). Is that also made by u guys Sebbi ?
We have two separate teams. One team is making mobile games (iOS and Android mostly) and one team is making console / PC games. The mobile Trials is quite different from the console version (it's a heavily story driven game).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the 1st day patch applied? It fixed several performance problems and texture streaming problems (on all the platforms). If you have the patch, then I am really interested in knowing in which levels you have noticed fps drops. Did you do something special, or just played normally? In our development version we have noticed tearing only in one track (drop to ~58 fps in two places), everything else has been running at rock solid 60 fps. I am quite surprised about people having frame rate problems with the game.

Not data backed, but from what I've been reading so far, there is some correlation with the digital download version of the game.

The press used an old version of the game. The texture pop-in and frame rate problems were fixed in the first day patch.
Not entirely. (PS4 version, digital.. although I fail to see how the digital version would be different since even the disc version is fully installed to the HDD.. surely the installs are the same at that point?) I haven't noticed any framerate issues, but texture pop-in is still a thing. Very occasionally you can see it off in the distance during a normal run, but if you reset to the beginning of the track, it's glaring... you load in almost instantly, so practically nothing is loaded, and the textures all load in over the course of about a second. The reset/start timer is so fast that you're already moving before things have finished loading.

My first thought was "why isn't the entire track just sitting in memory? Surely there's enough to spare.", but of course I don't know the technical details. Otherwise, my advice would be to simply cover it up. When you reset to the beginning of the track, give it a black screen or fade-in, and delay the countdown. By the time the screen displays and the countdown begins, everything is loaded. Most players probably wouldn't even notice the delay, which is more than can be said for the texture pop-in when resetting the track.

Otherwise, it's a hell of a lot of fun. I'm not particularly good at the game, but I'm certainly enjoying it. My only niggle at this point would be the leaning controls. My instincts tell me that the rider should reset to center when I let go of the stick, but he stays leaned in whatever direction. Leaning also seems very sensitive, coming off of Trials: Evolution on PC (w/X360 controller). I haven't played that one long, either, but I had an easier time of the controls on that version.

My first thought was "why isn't the entire track just sitting in memory? Surely there's enough to spare."
It's using 'megatexturing' and streaming the textures in tiles. If you die right at the beginning, are the textures already there?

Interested in this game but without a demo I'm not willing to take the risk and drop the cash, will the EU be getting the demo that the US already have any time soon?

I'm actually curious about the day 1 patch. I don't remember seeing anything about the patch being installed, but I can't remember if X1 does that silently or not. Is there a way to check to see if it has been applied?

I didn't notice any issues with tearing or framerate, but I've only played through the beginner and easy tracks so far.

If you die right at the beginning, are the textures already there?
Texture "popping" (= blurred texture instead of full resolution) is only happening when the camera jumps a very long distance. Checkpoint restarts for example don't cause it (data already in cache), but restarting the track when you are for example in the middle of the track will show some blurred textures for a few frames (however everything should be 1:1 resolution in less than 0.5 seconds).

This is just like in previous Trials games. We want instant level restarts, because the game play demands it. We would never trade game play for improved graphics. Instant restart means that in a single frame (16 milliseconds) the whole level (textures, meshes, physics world, trigger systems, etc, etc) needs to be restored to the original state. You can't load much data from the HDD in 16 milliseconds, so some minor popping is inevitable when restarting the whole track. (the whole uncompressed game data set would take more than 10 GB of memory so fitting it to memory at once is impossible).

Texture "popping" (= blurred texture instead of full resolution) is only happening when the camera jumps a very long distance. Checkpoint restarts for example don't cause it (data already in cache), but restarting the track when you are for example in the middle of the track will show some blurred textures for a few frames (however everything should be 1:1 resolution in less than 0.5 seconds).

This is just like in previous Trials games. We want instant level restarts, because the game play demands it. We would never trade game play for improved graphics. Instant restart means that in a single frame (16 milliseconds) the whole level (textures, meshes, physics world, trigger systems, etc, etc) needs to be restored to the original state. You can't load much data from the HDD in 16 milliseconds, so some minor popping is inevitable when restarting the whole track. (the whole uncompressed game data set would take more than 10 GB of memory so fitting it to memory at once is impossible).
Would adding a small(1-2sec) loading screen solve the issue and not affect gameplay? because I doubt most people will care about such an insignificant load screen and it would silence the complainers.

Lol...I really like the voice of the rider, it already makes me laugh...but the finish line episodes make me lol all the time...this game is funnier than most 'funny' games!!

Would adding a small(1-2sec) loading screen solve the issue and not affect gameplay? because I doubt most people will care about such an insignificant load screen and it would silence the complainers.
you wont need a load screen

just a shot of initial start off phase & do a count down 3 - 2 - 1
and viola, there we go 3 seconds to load what ever you need and the user will never know (of course you have to have the initial scenes gfx in memory)

Hardcore players do care. We had a bug in an earlier Trials game that caused the full 3-2-1-GO! countdown for every track restart (instead of the 1 second long READY-GO). There was a huge riot in our forums. Instant restart is a key game play feature of the Trials series. Hiding slightly blurred textures for a few frames isn't a good enough reason to break one of the most important game play features.
The whole game, sure.. I was thinking more along the lines of just the current track.
A single track can use every single object and texture in the game. All tracks are build in the same (free roaming) 16 square kilometer game world (track can be long enough to visit every single location in the game world), and all tracks can use any combination of objects. We don't want to limit our users with tight texture memory budgets or limit the area where they could build their level. Virtual texturing provides pretty much infinite texture budget, and that's a great thing for a game filled with user created content.

A single track can use every single object and texture in the game. All tracks are build in the same (free roaming) 16 square kilometer game world (track can be long enough to visit every single location in the game world), and all tracks can use any combination of objects. We don't want to limit our users with tight texture memory budgets or limit the area where they could build their level. Virtual texturing provides pretty much infinite texture budget, and that's a great thing for a game filled with user created content.
I think it'd make far more sense to cap the user created content and reduce the functionality and versatility of your gameplay in order to eliminate one or two seconds of texture pop-in when the level starts. People buy games chiefly to look at the sharp textures, not to enjoy the gameplay. :yep2:

Or rather, I've experienced pop-in of sorts on loads of games for the past 15 years. Why is it an issue all of a sudden? A game that manages stable, high framerate, and great visuals, and massive flexibility in the engine content, is giving as much as people ever ask for from games, which typically have 30 fps or tearing or ropey framerates. If Trials was suffering from Rage-like texture blurring, I could understand some grumbling. But as a compromise at the beginning of a track that enables everything else? It's a no brainer!

I can't wait to get home and get this game on the PS4.. I have both previous one on the X360 and they are amazing..

Thanks for the great work!
(I'll have to set up an US account for the price thing though)

Question about the tech: why is there a relative load time for the bike select showroom?

It does not bother me as you can press X before loading is finished....but I am still curious why it takes so much time to load the bikes??

Back