PlayStation 4: B3D User’s FAQ

Added a bunch of the questions and answers to the main page. It is, however, starting to get messy and harder to distinguish between 1 QA and the next. Any suggestions?

Glad to hear that at least html5 video works!

Can you use the gyro pointer used on the keyboard also in the browser?

Glad to hear that at least html5 video works!

Can you use the gyro pointer used on the keyboard also in the browser?

Nope. At least not so far as I can tell. R3 doesn't work to activate it like it does in text input mode. Nor do I see any other options to enable it.

I saw your post 3 times but couldn't find any settings on PS4. I'm gonna say no.

Where is the Setting on PS3 ?

Took me a while to find the Echo Cancellation setting on PS3.

I saw your post 3 times but couldn't find any settings on PS4. I'm gonna say no.

Where is the Setting on PS3 ?

Took me a while to find the Echo Cancellation setting on PS3.

Sound Settings >> Audio Output Settings.

Both HDMI and Optical Digital by default support 'Linear PCM 2Ch. 44hz' etc on PS3.

I'm using the MULTI link connector to RCA on my Amp :

http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages...omponents&SubId=Amplifiers&ProductId=PMA355UK

Option 1 :
What I was hoping to do was use HDMI > TV (Optical Out) > 'Digital to Analogue Audio Convertor' > RCA on my Denon Amp.

Here is the page on the converter :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-to-analogue-audio-convertor-504890

Option 2:
HDMI > TV (Headphone) > Denon Amp (RCA).

Last edited by a moderator:
ps4 deep color

Q: PS4 and deep color output.

The ps3 had an automatic deep color setting that worked with my plasma and output color in 12 bits per channel. It's not a huge difference but you could see banding in the gradations of color for the ps3 background during startup with it off. I was assuming the ps4 would just do this by default but there's no setting for it and my receiver reports that it's outputting 8 bit color. Sure enough, there's noticeable banding in the blue gradations of color in the background. Anyone know or heard anything about this? It's a little disappointing for a console launching in 2013.

Sound Settings >> Audio Output Settings.

Both HDMI and Optical Digital by default support 'Linear PCM 2Ch. 44hz' etc on PS3.

I'm using the MULTI link connector to RCA on my Amp :

http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages...omponents&SubId=Amplifiers&ProductId=PMA355UK

Option 1 :
What I was hoping to do was use HDMI > TV (Optical Out) > 'Digital to Analogue Audio Convertor' > RCA on my Denon Amp.

Here is the page on the converter :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/digital-to-analogue-audio-convertor-504890

Option 2:
HDMI > TV (Headphone) > Denon Amp (RCA).

The Sound Output Settings only allows me to select the following audio formats:
LPCM
Bitstream (Dolby)
Bitstream (DTS)

No mention of channels.

The Sound Output Settings only allows me to select the following audio formats:
LPCM
Bitstream (Dolby)
Bitstream (DTS)

No mention of channels.

Thanks patsu.

LPCM could be 2ch, 5.1ch or 7.1ch! I which they labelled it like the PS3 did!

Nope. At least not so far as I can tell. R3 doesn't work to activate it like it does in text input mode. Nor do I see any other options to enable it.

Keyboard support seems to be app specific. It doesn't work in the Hulu Plus app sign in screen. It works everywhere else.

Thanks patsu.

LPCM could be 2ch, 5.1ch or 7.1ch! I which they labelled it like the PS3 did!

Yeah, it's doesn't clarify. I would assume 2.1 and 5.1. Here are the only options for optical output, and this is the audio format priority screen (for setting LPCM, Doldy or DTS bitstream).

Keyboard support seems to be app specific. It doesn't work in the Hulu Plus app sign in screen. It works everywhere else.

Yeah, neither Hulu or Netflix seem to have keyboard support at their login screens. Likely due to the custom interface they're using.

Yeah, neither Hulu or Netflix seem to have keyboard support at their login screens. Likely due to the custom interface they're using.

Netflix does. I entered my account info using a USB keyboard for Netflix and Vudu.

You may need to click X to activate the keyboard over the edit field. Sometimes the keyboard doesn't show up. I had that problem with the Wifi password screen at first.

Q: PS4 and deep color output.

The ps3 had an automatic deep color setting that worked with my plasma and output color in 12 bits per channel. It's not a huge difference but you could see banding in the gradations of color for the ps3 background during startup with it off. I was assuming the ps4 would just do this by default but there's no setting for it and my receiver reports that it's outputting 8 bit color. Sure enough, there's noticeable banding in the blue gradations of color in the background. Anyone know or heard anything about this? It's a little disappointing for a console launching in 2013.

HA this has been driving me nuts too! My TV would report 12 bits for the PS3. For the PS4 nothing comes up. I own Sonys new W900a TV that supports an extra wide color range.

this site might be BS but it say the PS4 supports x.v Color and Full Deep Color. It might just need a patch for the feature to work.
http://www.edepot.com/playstation4.html

There should be a manual Full RGB setting on the PS4, I've seen it and DF mentioned it.

And yeah, my PS3 and TV both go to Full RGZb automatically and the TV (W656)reports 1080p 12bit color.

How does the PS3/4 produce 12 bit colour? It makes sense playing hi-colour films, if such things exist, but games render in 32 bit RGB AFAIK. 12 bit colour seems unlikely as a frontbuffer format. It'd be cool if true, but I'd need to hear it from a dev that they've done this, and then see a side-by-side comparison to know if it makes a real difference.

In most cases I presume it's probably just being upscaled ... I don't know if there is anything in the BluRay spec that allows for more color detail.

I am extremely happy with 1080p/24 support on my TV by the way. That makes a huge difference. No more annoying judder during panning shots.

In most cases I presume it's probably just being upscaled ... I don't know if there is anything in the BluRay spec that allows for more color detail.

I am extremely happy with 1080p/24 support on my TV by the way. That makes a huge difference. No more annoying judder during panning shots.

But the PS3 already had 1080p/24 support?

Back