PlayStation 4: B3D User’s FAQ

So does that mean you only need the 1.5 update and not the full firmware file?

I had the full recovery file on the drive that was attached. Once the firmware install started, I wondered to myself if I could have just used the smaller 1.5 update file. It was too late to check at that point. Sorry.

And do you need to boot at least once from the stock drive before you update?

No, I don't think so. If you replace the stock drive before first boot I suspect you'll boot to same warning screen saying that something has happened to the System Software. In fact, if you don't care to do any testing I suspect this is the way to go about it. Otherwise you'll essentially have to start the initial setup over twice. Granted, the setup process is very simple and straightforward.

Q. When you replace the HDD is it like the PS3 in that it formats the disk and that's it. Or do you need to download any extra firmware. Also is the PlayRoom available from the Store or is it only accessible from the original HDD?

A: PlayRoom is pre-installed in the firmware. So, after you upgrade your drive you don't have to do anything extra to get it back. However, I do not see it on the PSN store at this point. A day one update is also available for it and will queue up automatically. You can, however, copy your save games to a USB storage device through the settings menu if you so desire. You can also upload them to your PS+ storage if you have it.

The system manual for the PS4 states the following:

Q: What are "Intellectual Property Notices" in this context? Is this a DMCA thing to do with streaming maybe?

A: Nope, the IP notices in this are all of the trademarks and service marks for the various IP (tech) the PS4 uses. For example, the Dolby and DTS logos and their registered mark info, a ton of other companies and then an entirely separate section for the Open Source software. I took some screenshots, I'll upload them later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q. Can the system play video files off USB drives (and copy them to the HDD) like the PS3?

Q. Does the system still upscale DVDs? Is it better/worse/equal to the excellent DVD upscaling the PS3 does?

I haven't got a chance to play more than 3 minutes. :oops:

Soon, my friend, soon.

Damn Sony India: No date yet :mad: ! My friend in Singapore says Sony has given them Dec 19 as D Day, hoping for the same here. But rumours are flying high that it will be priced almost double its price here, if that turns out true, then no cookie for this little boy here :oops: !

Q. Can the system play video files off USB drives (and copy them to the HDD) like the PS3?

Q. Does the system still upscale DVDs? Is it better/worse/equal to the excellent DVD upscaling the PS3 does?

A: No, there is no USB media support. Further, there is very little local media playback support of any kind at this point. Captured screenshots and video do have a "preview" mode, but that's the extent of it. If I had to guess, I gather SCE didn't have a proper media playback application ready at launch (BD/DVD seems to clearly be its own desperately launched app like it is on the PS3). Essentially, the only media support is streaming media support from the dozen or online services they announced (Netflix, Hulu, Music/Video Unlimited, etc).

Haven't tried out DVDs yet, just a BD I had lying around.

How do I tell if my touchpad works on the joystick. It doesn't seem to do anything anywhere

Game by game basis. There's no OS level support that I'm aware of. There's a Trine 2 demo you can try, but the way it handles the touchpad is quite jumpy. KZ has support as well.

I need to get the main FAQ page updated. I've fallen several questions behind.

Q: What does it mean when the power light is red instead of blue?

Does the browser work on youtube/dailymotion/html5 video?

A:
YouTube: Going straight to YouTube with the standard player enabled by default and page loads very poorly, smooth navigation is all but impossible and videos will of course not play. Had to go to YouTube.com/html5 first to enable the HTMl5 player. That same page also has a checklist of what HTML5 video features your browswer supports. Here is that checklist for the PS4. It's missing quite a few. Here is a screenshot of that page from the PS4. Enabling the HTML 5 player and then going back to the YouTube homepage and the experience is much improved. Navigation is decent and video playback is smooth. Tested regular windowed video playback and full screen playback in HD.

DailyMotion: Page navigation is very clunky and jumpy (although not as bad as default YouTube), video playback however is surprisingly smooth. Seems to default to the HTML 5 player by default

Navigation overall is clunky due to the lack of mouse support..

Ah, in the YouTube checklist, you can ignore MSE (Media Source Extension) for now. It's an experimental/advanced feature, only used by video service providers for implementing adaptive streaming at the JavaScript level. For simple video playback, the standard video tag support is sufficient. Without MSE, the movie format and HTML5 tag also provide alternate references to load videos for different bitrate. Or let the user decide from the UI.

PS4 doesn't support WebM.

But the standard web browser is slower than I expected. Sony should have let us set the User Agent string to force the web server to use mobile version if this web browser is optimized for lightweight operation.

Back