Diablo 3 - Gamepad Edition

It's pretty demanding. My laptop (16G RAM, 1Gb Geforce GT650, 2.6Ghz quad core i7) struggles to maintain 60fps with all settings on at higher resolutions (between 1920x1080 to retina) with a lot going on.
A GT650M is not exactly a high-end part, certainly not on the level of the PS4's GPU.

My 680's fan doesn't even speed up running 1080p/60. The only dips I get are lag-based, server-side. I stress the card more just running Windows 7 idle on two monitors.

A GT650M is not exactly a high-end part, certainly not on the level of the PS4's GPU.

Its more likely the memory bus. If its like mine it has a crappy DDR3 interface @ 128bits. Even though its got 2Gb of dedicated memory I still end up using the HD4000 for most of the mundane tasks and simpler games. The GT650M is an alright chip in it;s own right, though I use it most for OpenCL\Cuda based tasks.

Its more likely the memory bus. If its like mine it has a crappy DDR3 interface @ 128bits. Even though its got 2Gb of dedicated memory I still end up using the HD4000 for most of the mundane tasks and simpler games. The GT650M is an alright chip in it;s own right, though I use it most for OpenCL\Cuda based tasks.
No he mentioned Retina so it's likely one of the first-gen Retina Macbook Pro's, which were GDDR5 based and slightly overclocked compared to most GT650m's.

Still, looking at benchmarks a GDDR5 GT650m is basically on par with a desktop Radeon 7700. A PS4 should handle D3 at 60fps no sweat, and maybe even the XB1.

My 680's fan doesn't even speed up running 1080p/60. The only dips I get are lag-based, server-side. I stress the card more just running Windows 7 idle on two monitors.
What resolution though?

No he mentioned Retina so it's likely one of the first-gen Retina Macbook Pro's, which were GDDR5 based and slightly overclocked compared to most GT650m's.

Yep, it's 1Gb GDDR5.

Still, looking at benchmarks a GDDR5 GT650m is basically on par with a desktop Radeon 7700. A PS4 should handle D3 at 60fps no sweat, and maybe even the XB1.

Ah, missed the retina bit. But on a slightly different note, I just heard that work has ordered 5 titan black's. All for compute sadly. But...

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

How do we import the ps3 save? Have they explained it anywhere? I mean, it never asked me to make a Battle.net account on the ps3 so how will my character's carry over. I am anyways in trouble as my levelled up Demon Hunter is on a different psn account than the one I use now on my ps4.
@NRP: it will come to the bone, no doubt. There seems to be some deal with Sony cos even last year they kept showing up at PS events and showing the game off and talked only about the ps3 version but later it was released on the same day for x360 too. As for the game, its a good time cruncher with friends, nothing spectacular but engaging and fun in co op sessions.

Some form of cross-save probably. Pretty sure cross-save also works without having a PS+ subscription.

Ah, that makes more sense.. lol. Max everything. It's a GTX680 2GB, I can play games with significantly more bells and whistles at good framerates. I haven't really played the PC version since the patch came out (I've more or less moved over entirely to the console), so I haven't tried it out with the new reflections option. But I can't see it making much difference. Uncapped (vsync off), I think my framerate hovers around 80-100.

Probably somewhat CPU limited by the jaguar cores and wasn't really written for 6 core usage.

edit: Although lower on the xbox I guess indicates bandwidth/CU limitation with since the CPUs are about the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably somewhat CPU limited by the jaguar cores and wasn't really written for 6 core usage.

edit: Although lower on the xbox I guess indicates bandwidth/CU limitation with since the CPUs are about the same.

Exactly.
If it was CPU-limited, the xbone version should even have a bit of an edge.
Lower resolution on the xbone could also mean it's fill-rate limited.

Maybe the game has a new and very demanding form of AA.

Exactly.
If it was CPU-limited, the xbone version should even have a bit of an edge.
Lower resolution on the xbone could also mean it's fill-rate limited.

Maybe the game has a new and very demanding form of AA.
There have been benchmarks and comments from devs at GAF saying that you can get more out of the PS4 CPU, despite the assumed clockspeed disadvantage.

There have been benchmarks and comments from devs at GAF saying that you can get more out of the PS4 CPU, despite the assumed clockspeed disadvantage.

I guess running three virtual machines at the same time could be negating the clock speed advantage.

Ps4 version is getting a exclusive LOU dungeons with clicker, boomers and hunters :p ! Now thats cool !

If only they would discount the game for people who already bought the ps3 version....

This game is releasing on the new consoles in a few weeks. Is anyone planning to get it? Is it RPG noob friendly?

I've been reading about some crazy ass character builds in the PC forum that sound like fun.

I am debating purchasing it myself. I have not played any version of it yet.
Hell I havent played Diablo since the original pc release.

Is it RPG noob friendly?

Depends on what you expect from an RPG I guess. :p You can pretty much skip the story - Adventure Mode, I think is what it's called. It's basically 100% grinding. The skill trees are configurable on-the-fly, so it's pretty friendly that way for trying out everything the class has to offer.

The crafting is pretty straight forward. The UI is very well streamlined for console.

---

Haven't decided if I'll get it. Kinda grinding other games at the moment and for the foreseeable future. Plus... I'm probably the only one left to get it on last gen. :p

Back