Diablo 3 - Gamepad Edition

Jedi2016

Veteran
Kind of surprised there's no thread on this here in the Console forums. I know there's one over in PC land, but that's PC land... this is the land of comfy couches and big screens! (says the PC gamer... lulz)

Anyway, I'd like to discuss aspects of the console versions here, specifically the technical bits. That's what we do here, right? The first thing that I thought back when they announced the game was "Why on earth make both a PS3 and a PS4 version?"

So far, it looks like we've only seen the PS3 version shown off. They've confirmed that it runs at 60fps, but presumably (and I haven't verified this) at 720p. Now, D3 isn't a very graphically intensive game... my graphics card doesn't even wake up to play this one on PC, and that's at 1080p at max settings (I mean that almost literally... the temperature and fan readings don't budge from idle). I know the consoles are getting a bit long in the tooth now, but I wonder if they really had to pull back on the graphics, 720p and maybe some lower settings, to get it to run at 60fps. While 60fps is nice and all, I'm not sure it's really required in an isometric game like this.. 30fps might have been fine.

So what advantage will the PS4 version provide? They've indicated they'll be using the touchpad for something, but they haven't said what. Presumably, the game will run at 1080p/60. But will there be any other enhancements? Maybe better textures and effects, even over the PC version? 3D support? Or will it end up being identical to the PS3 version, just running at a slightly higher resolution?

I also find it interesting that there's no Xbox One version, at least that they've announced so far. It's clearly not a Playstation exclusive, since Xbox360 is getting it, but I assume this is still some kind of business arrangement (surely it's not a technical limitation)... maybe Playstation exclusive for next-gen, but not for current-gen.

Kind of surprised there's no thread on this here in the Console forums. I know there's one over in PC land, but that's PC land... this is the land of comfy couches and big screens! (says the PC gamer... lulz)

Anyway, I'd like to discuss aspects of the console versions here, specifically the technical bits. That's what we do here, right? The first thing that I thought back when they announced the game was "Why on earth make both a PS3 and a PS4 version?"

So far, it looks like we've only seen the PS3 version shown off. They've confirmed that it runs at 60fps, but presumably (and I haven't verified this) at 720p. Now, D3 isn't a very graphically intensive game... my graphics card doesn't even wake up to play this one on PC, and that's at 1080p at max settings (I mean that almost literally... the temperature and fan readings don't budge from idle). I know the consoles are getting a bit long in the tooth now, but I wonder if they really had to pull back on the graphics, 720p and maybe some lower settings, to get it to run at 60fps. While 60fps is nice and all, I'm not sure it's really required in an isometric game like this.. 30fps might have been fine.

So what advantage will the PS4 version provide? They've indicated they'll be using the touchpad for something, but they haven't said what. Presumably, the game will run at 1080p/60. But will there be any other enhancements? Maybe better textures and effects, even over the PC version? 3D support? Or will it end up being identical to the PS3 version, just running at a slightly higher resolution?

I also find it interesting that there's no Xbox One version, at least that they've announced so far. It's clearly not a Playstation exclusive, since Xbox360 is getting it, but I assume this is still some kind of business arrangement (surely it's not a technical limitation)... maybe Playstation exclusive for next-gen, but not for current-gen.

If I were to take a guess, the physics might have to be pared down for the PS3 version. The physics can get quite demanding in large fights with multiple players. Then again, perhaps they'll be able to exploit the SPU's for this as the graphics aren't terribly demanding.

Other than that 1080p/60 would be my guess as to the only other significant difference. Graphically, there isn't much that stands out in Diablo 3. The art direction they chose (sort of a cartoony watercolor) means that texture resolution isn't likely going to increase. Although perhaps the PS3 will have problems with the full complement of lighting effects from PC version? Although again, I don't really expect that to be the case.

Diablo 3 was, after all, designed to be run on as many PC platforms (including budget systems) as possible.

I always found it interesting that Blizzard loves to push the envelope on what can be done in pre-rendered CG, but doesn't push the envelope when it comes to in game graphics. And it certainly isn't due to a lack of talent. It's purely based on making their games as accessible as possible to the greatest number of PC owners.

Regards,
SB

They choose their art style wisely in that regard. It may not be that graphically demanding, but I think it's still a very pretty game at max settings. I should try it on super-low just to see how horrible it can get... I saw Starcraft 2 the other day at low settings, and it was hard to believe it was the same game.

They choose their art style wisely in that regard. It may not be that graphically demanding, but I think it's still a very pretty game at max settings. I should try it on super-low just to see how horrible it can get... I saw Starcraft 2 the other day at low settings, and it was hard to believe it was the same game.

StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm is actually a good example of where they can do incredible in game graphics if they choose to (the in game rendered stuff between levels can be absolutely phenomenal).

And yeah, I think at the lowest settings it can get pretty bad as that's designed to be at least somewhat playable on integrated laptop graphics from some years ago.

Regards,
SB

Various newsbits, info I could find:

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1873-exclusive-fansite-console-info-from-blizzard-hq/

Development
  • Development of the PC and Console version of the game split close to PC launch
  • There were radical changes to the code in order for the game to translate properly to Console
  • Battle.net had to be completely ripped out of the game and replaced with Xbox Live and PSN integrations
  • The first pass for the Console translation was implementing everything that existed in Diablo 3 on day 1. Since then the team has been hard at work making Diablo 3 a good Console game. All the PC patches were implemented over time
  • Diablo 3 runs at full 60 FPS during most of the game. The exception being when, for example, "4 Witch Doctors all play Zombie Dog builds and constantly explode them"
Gameplay
  • Crafted items now tailor their stats more to the class that has crafted them. Developers feel this is one of the more important changes coming to Consoles
  • White and Blue items drop far less
  • Artisan upgrades cost less gold
  • Vendors are much more likely to sell Rare gear
  • Class items are far more likely to drop for the class being played
  • Some monsters have had their health and damage adjusted for Console. For example the Withermoth's damage has been increased by 500%, as you only get to meet a few of them during the entire game
Itemization
  • The itemization changes on Console are not what we're going to see in the future itemization patch. Instead they've been what the Console team came up with to streamline the flow of items
  • The 5-6 fansite attendees at Blizzard HQ managed to find a total of 3-4 items Legendary items on Act 1 Nightmare in one hour
  • Initially the Console version was also supposed to be online-only, but Blizzard's research showed a huge part of the Console population didn't have an Internet connection
  • There are anti-dupe mechanisms in place, but Blizzard knows they'll eventually be overcome
  • There are some concerns about Trading in the Console version, because of the lack of Auction House
Interface
  • Not a single part of the PC interface was kept. All is changed
  • When looting items icons appear that compare the loot you got to what you have equipped. Instead of showing the full numbers like the PC version, the Console icons simply point out if the item is better or not in terms of Life/DPS/Protection
  • You can still view a full comparison between the items in your inventory, where all stats are compared
Coop
  • When you play with a friend on the same screen if you move too far away from your coop partner you'll yank him towards yourself in a pretty intuitive manner. This helps a lot with AFK players
  • You can play on a single screen or online with up to 3 other players and also do a combination of both
60fps might explain why the released screens appear to be <720p + heavy on blending. The lack of MSAA support on PC does also point to it being a deferred renderer of sorts too.

------

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1897-diablofans-interview-with-the-devs-highlights/

The Console Version

• The Diablo 3 team has actually just received the new console generation development kits so the translation to those platforms is yet to be done. They really like the features on the PS4 controller and want to try and do something cool with the trackpad and share button
  • Diablo 3 will not be a launch date title for the next generation consoles. It will come in 2014. The developers prefer to try and get the most out of the different features that platforms have, instead of just porting the game to each of them
  • There aren't any plans for Diablo 3 on portable devices
  • When an expansion comes the main concern will not be to ship it simultaneously on all platforms, but instead try to make the expansion features as relevant to each platform as possible
That seems to imply XO development too. Weird that they won't mention it. Maybe it's a marketing agreement thing.

Regarding the portable devices thing... the exact quotation seems to be:
Im really hoping diablo 3 will b available on the psvita i think there is alot of interest on this topic n it would b great if blizzard would answer this question already as there is no info about it!
We’re excited for console players to have the opportunity to get their hands on Diablo III and defend Sanctuary, but we don't have any further platform announcements at this time. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
So...

-------

Brawling is The Only PvP Content For Console
The console version of Diablo III has all of the PC content up to patch 1.0.7 (and then some), so it'll have the Brawling feature, but no additional options for it. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

--------

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1861...s-lastzouls-witch-doctor-max-dps-compilation/
  • 1.) If there are only local players in the game, the game will pause when the inventory or skill screens are up. If remote players are also present, the game will not pause.
  • 2.) If you are signed into your own profile/user for a local game, you get access to your own stash and do not have to share!
  • 3.) In gameplay, R3 places a beacon of light over the player’s head. This is particularly useful when coordinating in multiplayer as a way to visually indicate “Over here!” to your group.
  • L3 has no dedicated function in gameplay - We felt it would be pretty awkward to click down when you also use it for movement.
  • 4.) Pressing the D-pad up while in game will allow you to Fast Equip items. Pressing the D-pad right will cast your Town Portal, and pressing the D-pad down will allow you to access your full-screen map.
  • 5.) If there are only local players in the game, then yes, the game pauses when the START button is pressed or when the inventory/skill screens are up. If remote players are also present, the game will not be paused.

Isn't this part somehow very interesting?

Initially the Console version was also supposed to be online-only, but Blizzard's research showed a huge part of the Console population didn't have an Internet connection

I'm still wondering how you place hydras, meteors and similar abilities in the console version when you don't have a mouse pointer to select the location with...

I'm still wondering how you place hydras, meteors and similar abilities in the console version when you don't have a mouse pointer to select the location with...

Actually you do. Left stick for movement and right stick for cursor/camera. This is no different that the basic gameplay requirements for third person or first person shooters. This control scheme has worked great for similar games like Torchlight and Dust: ET.

Well, there's a problem there, Brit... the right stick isn't for aiming, it's an evasion move. Your character will do a quick-roll in the direction you move the right stick.

I've been wondering how this will work for classes that rely heavily on aiming like the Demon Hunter or the Wizard. I suppose the best they can do is the equivalent of shift-clicking, where your character will automatically stand still when casting a ranged attack if you hold the button down or something, and just fire in the direction that you hold the left stick while standing still. They've mentioned being able to target enemies and continue to do ranged attacks on the move, even if you're not pointed in that direction, but I have no idea how that will work.

I'm hoping on PS4 you can aim using the gyro. It's good enough for that. Traditionally, you would hold a button and use right analog to direct a cursor to where you want the effect. Move controller would also work well. But I'm not expecting any gyro support for the PS3 version - PS4 has a much better shot however.

Oh right, I forgot about the evade skills. I imagine the D pad will be used for quick-slots so that's out for evades too. Maybe they have some sort of aim-assist where the Bumpers will be used for cycling through targets?

The four face buttons, R2/R1 (right bumper/trigger) are for spells/attacks it seems. L1/Left bumper is for health potion. D-pad Up is fast equip, right is for Town Portal, down is for map. R3/Right stick button is for the player indicator.

That leaves L2/Left trigger, d-pad left. L3/Left stick button is apparently unused (maybe they should have that as quick equip).

Oh right, I forgot about the evade skills. I imagine the D pad will be used for quick-slots so that's out for evades too. Maybe they have some sort of aim-assist where the Bumpers will be used for cycling through targets?

Either that or it just starts casting it in the direction your character is facing at the time the button is pressed. How long you hold down the button determines the distance away from you that it is placed (with an appropriate moving icon to indicate where it'll be placed). It takes longer than if you had a mouse/keyboard combination, but should be doable.

Regards,
SB

I'm going to guess I haven't played a class that handles like that... the most I've done is directional, never precise placement. Is that mostly a Demon Hunter thing with traps and such?

Either that or it just starts casting it in the direction your character is facing at the time the button is pressed. How long you hold down the button determines the distance away from you that it is placed (with an appropriate moving icon to indicate where it'll be placed). It takes longer than if you had a mouse/keyboard combination, but should be doable.
I've seen that used in games before, but best is probably hold the spell button and that switches the right or left stick to aiming. It can also be explained in the game mythos that the spell-caster is concentrating really hard on their spell which is why they can't move while casting. ;)

BTW I think they could use the touchpad to aim with certain spells/abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diablo 3 will not be a launch date title for the next generation consoles.

BTW I think they could use the touchpad to aim with certain spells/abilities.

Lol, how could I forget about that one. Yeah, a mouse pointer function might actually work for that too ... ha ha. Though using the gyro to aim, which I know is precise enough, has the advantage that you can keep using the analog sticks in paralel. I don't know how easy that would be with the touchpad - I assume you'd have to let go of one of the sticks.

I expect the touchpad to be very hard to use for targeting. Absolute positioning on it (1:1 touchpad : pixel relation) would be hard to master seeing as it's so small. You'd touch the pad and find your spell way off target, and then have to slide delicately to intended place.

With gyro's available, it may be better to have dodge on that, which would be more intuitive for some players (physical jerk when attacked!), and have the right stick for spell targeting.

Back