Yet another OC type editorial....

The tidbit that got my attention-

although they've announced a product long before they should (and even longer before users will get to see them)

Actually, not long enough. And if this is the case, NVIDIA should be hung out to dry in Barry'sWorld next edition.

The fact is, the NV30, which has another 4-5 months to go at least, is already being announced in rumormill form, by Anand and performing serious release tainting of the R300... the early thunder stealing award goes to NV's PR department and their funding of rumors to taint the R300's release.

If the R300 was guilty of the same crime (i.e. being announced too early), then such remarks would have been made to taint the GF4's release- from which there were none. How many GF4 previews did you see that stated "The R300 will be faster" or "The R300 will blow away the GF4" like you see with the NV30 on all the R300 previews?

So as far as I can see, ATI didnt announce the R300 nearly early enough as they need to learn NVIDIA's competitor's release tainting strategy. There doesnt need to even be specs or silicon to do this, just some well funded promises to some of the web teens...

And those that dont know about BarrysWorld- they are a massive organization involved heavily in the online gaming community and online gaming.

If you've heard or used BW-Admin, that is their tool (for quake/2/3, tribes, and most every other)... they have mods for most every online game ever made, as Hellbinder mentioned, lease/sublease server clusters for game hosting, write and design online tools for adminstration/bot detection and perform stats and the like for online games.
They also host some of the more popular game servers to the online community.

Hmmm, I never heard of barrysworld either, but if they're big and thereby can influence a lot of people, then this editorial is annoying.

I don't think that it is fair to write the Radeon 9700 off like that (especially againt the GF4 4600ti) and one shouldn't really argue in favor of the upcoming competition (read NV30) when we know so little about it. It is fair to suggest, however, that gamers that can wait with an upgrade, should consider to wait until we have a preview of the NV30.

Randell said:
obvioulsy in the UK and europe editorials like that from BW hold a lot of sway with the online gaming community, and lets face it its that hardcore community who will purchase this card (or not).

I agree with Democoder in a way though, do we have to have every wrong statement about the R300 posted here?

Maybe to learn where these guys are wrong so a constructive e-mail response to the editorial can be made eh. Over to you Hellbinder, let un know BW's response?

I think Hellbinder is trying to recruit technologically savvy people as an Army and aim them at things that rile him up personally.

On the one hand, several people here are annoyed (witness the dog poo sig, heh) by seeing annoying text they come here to try and escape.

On the other, if he is successful in illiciting a response from members here, it may be beneficial to the internet community as a whole. Also, if the people who post intelligently in response to these issue perhaps have beyon3d in their sig:

1) you'll get a bunch of "kiddies" coming here...but maybe generating ad hits in the meantime

2) you'll wake up some people from their "kiddy" mentality, and increase the amount of people who could productively contribute to the forums, and generate ad hits, reputation, and actually informative discussions.

3) you'll increase the visibility of beyond3d and perhaps get more recognition by vendors, which would be enhanced by 1) and 2) above as well. also, increased recognition by any means will result in 1) and 2) anyways.

I don't know...where do you stand on which of the above is most significant? Perhaps that will dictate the future of these types of threads.

My own stance is that such threads heavily reflect the state of the online 3d industry and are on topic, but hey, I don't know what the "regulars" think of me and my opinions in any case. :eek:

demalion said:
Randell said:
obvioulsy in the UK and europe editorials like that from BW hold a lot of sway with the online gaming community, and lets face it its that hardcore community who will purchase this card (or not).

I agree with Democoder in a way though, do we have to have every wrong statement about the R300 posted here?

Maybe to learn where these guys are wrong so a constructive e-mail response to the editorial can be made eh. Over to you Hellbinder, let un know BW's response?

I don't know...where do you stand on which of the above is most significant? Perhaps that will dictate the future of these types of threads.

My own stance is that such threads heavily reflect the state of the online 3d industry and are on topic, but hey, I don't know what the "regulars" think of me and my opinions in any case. :eek:

If that is aimed at me, I dont think I'm a baromteter of the true 'regulars'. Howver my opinion is educate the ignorant where useful :) But avoid fanboy crusades. I've been involved in flame-wars before (elsewhere) in the past and learnt that letting emotion rule your head over such things on internet is pointless & ultimately fruitless.

Howver having to hand educated responses to people who write ill-educated rubbish is much the best way to go. I try to use what I learn here to help answer questions/balance the crap on other forums where I'm a member of a wider community.

I like the way the thread was locked after he was proven wrong, and knowing me I just had to email a friendly message and point out the errors of his ways :p

This guy is a moron.

Yes, its gone. It was in the Hardware/Technation forum.

I wondered what would happen once he starts getting refferal hits from here which is why I posted the URL.

:eek: :LOL:

I have the entire text of my response to him if anyone is curious (no, I won't post it here unless someone like a moderator asks me to, given the past complaints and the fact that it is very long). I actually had hope that some new info would come from him after my posts, but I guess the worst interpretation of what his text says about his outlook seems to be the most accurate this time.

God, it actually turns my stomach this type of behavior...I should be getting a good laugh out of this but every start of a smile at the exhibited foolishness turns all sour and twisted... :-?

Basic said:
I think Sweden is in Europe, I've never heard of any Barrysworld.

Even if it was a more well known site, I'd still say that you should keep it out of here.

Well...I'm a Swede too and I've certainly heard about it...in fact I've been playing in both their QW CTF league and UT CTF leagues...
I won't be surprised if they have the biggest amount of players for leagues in Europe.(not counting clanbase...since they don't provide servers)
But if you're not a gamer,especially a FPS'er risk is you haven't heard about them...just like I don't know which is the worlds biggest rendering site...just not my interest...

Hmm, I'm from Germany, and while I have heard of Barry's World (weren't they just about to get closed down a little while ago and then bought up and saved by EB or something?), I can't say it's an influential site here. I guess it's mostly influential in the UK and to some degree beyond, but nothing mind-blowing. And a post from their forums, how many people is that gonna reach, like 10.000 at the most (of course spreading the post like Hellbinder is doing helps extending their influence, hehe)?

As to this article posting, I got to agree with Democoder, I really don't think this fits well in the context of these forums! We're not press-critics here, last time I checked the forum was still titled "3D Technology & Hardware". These rants only bring more bad vibes to this forum, which I think is totally unnecessary! Maybe the B3D crew can open up a seperate "Web-Critics" forum for this stuff, but IMHO these constant postings of anti-this anti-that rants from some obviously biased sites or individuals just don't belong here. This is something that should be brought up to the authors of the articles via email or on their site's forum, but I don't see any reason why we should continue discussing every article out there that doesn't find somebody's approval ...

Sharkfood said:
by Anand and performing serious release tainting of the R300
Serious release tainting of the R300? After having 16 pages of "gosh is this an excellent card" you consider 1 sentence of "looks as if NV30 will even be faster based on specs" *serious* tainting? I don't see how you can possible put up with ANY form of media at all in that case ...

Back