PlayStation Camera: What are the benefits?

PS4Eye is stereoscopic. It'd need these

oregon-le-wp-rp_C9489312_300.jpg

lol, :p so true.
Btw I already imagined a single dual 'zoom' attachment that would slide over the PS4 eye.. er.. PS4 eyes , with holes for the mic-array. But thinking about it: you would need to keep sitting within a 'frame', and at the normal tv-viewing/gaming distance, I don't think the current resolution is high enough to accurately discern eye movement.. :cry:

Actually, with two cameras you could zoom one for eye tracking and keep the other for full body tracking (as long as the player stays fairly stationary). Really don't see it happening for practicality reasons though.

So I got the ps eye today, it's tiny compared to my Kinect no idea what the size is like compared to Kinect 2.

It doesn't come with a stand but can be tilted if needed, however because it is so light the cable makes it a bit cumbersome to do right, which is why they sell a separate stand at please milk me prices.

Playroom is free and fun for a very short time (based on my kids) but the tracking seems precise. And with a microphone in my room I can finally shout at my Playstation. If I use a slightly British accent it works the best :)

Still need to set up the login based on face :)

So I got the ps eye today, it's tiny compared to my Kinect no idea what the size is like compared to Kinect 2.

It doesn't come with a stand but can be tilted if needed, however because it is so light the cable makes it a bit cumbersome to do right, which is why they sell a separate stand at please milk me prices.

Playroom is free and fun for a very short time (based on my kids) but the tracking seems precise. And with a microphone in my room I can finally shout at my Playstation. If I use a slightly British accent it works the best :)

Why would you get the eye and not the new one?

Why would you get the eye and not the new one?

I'm sure he means the new camera. I've not read anything to suggest the PS3 Eye works with the PS4 and I'm certain even if it did, Play Room wouldn't work with such an imprecise device.

Old one couldn't be tilted.

Liking the camera so far myself. Logging in is cool, and for streaming it works well, Playroom is fun (especially the small robots).

The U.K. PS Camera doesn't come with the stand? The U.S. version definitely has one. It's in the YouTube unboxing videos. I have one with mine.

The U.K. PS Camera doesn't come with the stand? The U.S. version definitely has one. It's in the YouTube unboxing videos. I have one with mine.

I got the camera in a console pack (Killzone, 2x DS4, camera) and it didn't come with a stand. What does a stand do that the inbuilt tilt doesn't offer?

I highly doubt that - even the connector is different.

Well, the original camera is standard USB, and PS4 certainly has those. Would make sense, for BC of the Move controller, to at least support it for games that don't need the new camera. Not sure if there's already a game for that, though. Maybe that dance game.

I got the camera in a console pack (Killzone, 2x DS4, camera) and it didn't come with a stand. What does a stand do that the inbuilt tilt doesn't offer?

It lets you attach it to the top of the TV. It is nice, kind of a multi-elbow soft grip thingy.

The stand can allow for TV bezel mounting, among resolving other stabilization issues.
Ah I see. My TV is on a cabinet and the camera just sits in front. It's working well and I'm beginning to use voice a bit more although it's rarely much of a time saver than pressing a few buttons.

"PlayStation Homescreen" is getting a bit of use when I pick up the phone to talk to somebody, as that effectively pauses anything. It's also quite flexible about starting games e.g. the following all work for starting Assassin's Creed:
  • "PlayStation Play Assassins Creed Four"
  • "PlayStation Play AC Four"
  • "PlayStation Play Black Flag"
I think it's doing voice to text then comparing the text to titles in your library for best/likely match. I also like that when you're speaking to it in the Dynamic Menu interface the 'listening' bar pops up at the bottom with some other prompts for what you might want to do and the sound meter for your voice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does voice recognition work while offline?

Tested it and yes it does.

"PlayStation Home Screen" then "Back To Game" rinse and repeat works as fluidly as Microsoft demod Kinect switching between Forza and the Xbox One's menu system. It appears that once you've got it's attention and give it a voice command it stays in 'listen mode' for a few seconds and the next command doesn't need to be prefaced by "PlayStation".

It's just a shame that "PlayStation" is a mouthful compared to "Xbox" :| I would prefer "Oi" so please fix that, Sony.

Back