PlayStation Camera: What are the benefits?

I said freefrom, implying that the in game character is expected to replicate 100% of the user input accurately.
Do any freeform boxing games exist? Would any other categories make the crossover to needing more on the precision side than the latency side (more than current gen consoles have shown)?

Konami had an arcade title, that's the only one that I have seen.
Latency and accuracy does not have to be inversely proportional though, technology can improve on all fronts.
The accuracy for motion gaming still have much to be desired.

I hope they try to make a proper adventure game with motion controls (PS Move and PS Camera).

Deadmund's Quest seems like it was a reasonably good start. But let's get some more serious investment into the medium by Sony I hope.

I think it could be genuinely cool, as Zelda and Mario Galaxy and many other Wii games have shown, but the investment needs to be there from Sony.

Do any freeform boxing games exist? Would any other categories make the crossover to needing more on the precision side than the latency side (more than current gen consoles have shown)?

I would like to see a more serious and frontal view of KungFu Live. It's really responsive @ 60fps capture. I could use any reallife objects as weapons. But on PS3, it only detects 2D movement (e.g., punch and kick sideways).

I would like to see the PS Move demo application become a navigational reality (placing browser windows, etc in various 3D spaces).

Has anyone seen the little demo they showed, with the cute robots coming in and out of the controller, and reacting to the guy's movements etc etc? That was pretty cool. Not enough for me to buy into that but still...

Has anyone seen the little demo they showed, with the cute robots coming in and out of the controller, and reacting to the guy's movements etc etc? That was pretty cool. Not enough for me to buy into that but still...

That was PlayRoom and is pre-installed on the PS4.

I mean not enough for me to buy the camera :D We'll see!

Oh, right. I can't imagine that alone being worth the cost of the camera to someone. I think at this point the camera is either worth it to someone because they're interested in fiddling with it or want video chat day one or not worth it because practically nothing has been demonstrated for it. As it stands for me personally, it's just a cool gadget to buy with the console and play around with.

The back of the box says:

Facial recognition for login

Chat (voice and video ?)

Voice navigation

Ugh, forgot the last bullet.

Same. I've opted for the Killzone Mega Bundle which for £100 more gets you Killzone, a second DS4 and the PS Eye, which is basically free. I figure the Play Room will keep the visiting kids entertained at Christmas.

I feel for those poor little virtual robots :devilish:

Checked the box. It's the controller light player positioning feature.
Patsu, was it you that found a video clip of full 3D tracking via two cameras and a FPU setup? If it was, would you mind posting it here? I believe that might be a possible ability.

Someone else here had a video clip of Sony's facial recognition and character overlay software at work for the PS Eye (PS3). I believe it was able to recognize men from women, etc. Was that provided by you, as well, or onQ?

Does anyone have any speculations on possible advances in these areas or other areas?

It's not really designed for very accurate 3D tracking without a move controller, or the light on the PS4 controller.
Simple gestures like swipes are easy enough to pull from a stereo image.
There is I believe a 3rd party library that does some skeletal tracking, though it will never with match kinect in that regard.
A lot of the design was focused around problems with the existing camera, things like the need to have different exposures in a dark room to pick up motion from the user and to present a decent looking image for video chat.

Patsu, was it you that found a video clip of full 3D tracking via two cameras and a FPU setup? If it was, would you mind posting it here? I believe that might be a possible ability.

Someone else here had a video clip of Sony's facial recognition and character overlay software at work for the PS Eye (PS3). I believe it was able to recognize men from women, etc. Was that provided by you, as well, or onQ?

Does anyone have any speculations on possible advances in these areas or other areas?

I can't find the video at the moment. It's somewhere on this forum though.

It's not really designed for very accurate 3D tracking without a move controller, or the light on the PS4 controller.
Simple gestures like swipes are easy enough to pull from a stereo image.
There is I believe a 3rd party library that does some skeletal tracking, though it will never with match kinect in that regard.
A lot of the design was focused around problems with the existing camera, things like the need to have different exposures in a dark room to pick up motion from the user and to present a decent looking image for video chat.
How accurate does 3D tracking need to be for gaming apps? Kinect 2.0 depth resolution is pretty poor, so I would think 3D tracking accuracy doesn't need to be that fine. I assumed it's much like using SP for game creation instead of DP. Am I wrong?

Yes, I saw the 3 point (?) skeletal tracking software for the PS Eye (PS3). If that scales with resolution and orientation of camera(s), couldn't this version possibly track at least 12 points?

I know Dr. Marks and team has been researching this type of thing for well over a decade. I wonder what his team has discovered about the level of tracking accuracy would be needed for game related operations and beyond.

Why not? higher resolution camera and stereo image.

Because constructing depth from stereo is difficult and error prone.
Depth reconstruction from stereo images generally has very limited Z resolution. If it didn't there would be no point in building specific depth cameras.

Back