*split* multiplatform console-world problems + Image Quality Debate

djskribbles, is there a theory? Has the sharpening theory been proven?

His point is different textures; X1 seems to have more details in the textures.

That's what I see. Not a huge difference, but it's there.
There are extra details in the textures it seems, at the cost of resolution for the Xbox One. It is also noticeable at the bottom right corner, below the guy's arm.

The lighting seems to pop out more, too.

http://www.pcgames.de/Battlefield-4...-One-im-Grafik-Duell-1095082/galerie/2113664/

But I don't know, better to wait for DF article.

I wouldn't say there is extra texture detail.. just a little more texture coverage.. the extra detail is coming from a combination of increased sharpness and contrast thanks to the X1 scaler.

Not seeing any difference between the two images apart from black crush on the XB1 image (particularly noticeable on the twin US flags on the soldiers webbing on the right). The rocks are the same texture as far as I can tell with perhaps sharpening in effect too, that may account for the 'pop' that's been reported but post sharpening just looks noisy to me (unless we're talking Lanczos).

2e5jt3q.jpg

That image is mostly showing a bug in BF4 XO & PS4 - which was noted in the BF4 thread.

The "lines" you see in the rocks on the PS4 rock texture are actually moving rapidly. It seems to be a water texture that is being rendered o_O.

(the same thing happens in that scene on XO at different moments - it's a very strange bug when you watch the video, and quite obvious if you look out for it)

There are extra details in the textures it seems, at the cost of resolution for the Xbox One. It is also noticeable at the bottom right corner, below the guy's arm.

The two shots are from different angles and sometimes viewing different things. You are comparing the vertical edge to the horizontal slab?

Its too bad the two images are labeled, It would be funny if they were just the same console taken a split second apart. Now were are imagining something nebulous and non-technical called "detail".

It makes sense that is is a buggy water texture which is masking the texture underneath, you can even see more evidence of it in the lines on the wood and the bottom surface.

The two shots are from different angles and sometimes viewing different things. You are comparing the vertical edge to the horizontal slab?

Its too bad the two images are labeled, It would be funny if they were just the same console taken a split second apart. Now were are imagining something nebulous and non-technical called "detail".

It makes sense that is is a buggy water texture which is masking the texture underneath, you can even see more evidence of it in the lines on the wood and the bottom surface.

I'd tend to agree, but there is definitely texture detail differences in the bottom right corner of the shots in the rocks.

Regardless, negligible and unnoticed while playing.

I'd tend to agree, but there is definitely texture detail differences in the bottom right corner of the shots in the rocks.

Regardless, negligible and unnoticed while playing.

I dragged the image to my (osx) desktop and opened it in Preview, then sharpened the right half and the result: more texture detail. people with OSX try and see this for yourself

I wouldn't say there is extra texture detail.. just a little more texture coverage.. the extra detail is coming from a combination of increased sharpness and contrast thanks to the X1 scaler.

I think if you saw the two images in succession, you would see for yourself it's not the result of the scaler's ability to sharpen.

http://gifmaker.me/PlayFrameAnimation.php?folder=2013112516aB6aIBskz6O8Zlt9c7MCJd

the xb1 version has good clarity but the ground textures are different.

http://gifmaker.me/PlayFrameAnimation.php?folder=2013112515tOF6zxe6GCNyGofcwUiQPG

PlayFrameAnimation.php

It's not just different it seems there's more clarity to it as well which may point to the texture being higher resolution...

agreed.

This doesn't seem to be the result of a compromise you would be thinking of. this is probably the result of a number of things, one of them being the possible head room performance differences at their native resolutions.

picking a lower resolution will always allow more flexibility to do other features, and picking lower settings will always allow you to render at higher native resolutions. If you're asking for the same settings you would be asking for console parity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you keep using the DF footage with improper captures? A capture with matching levels always looks more washed out in comparison to a capture with mis-matched levels (in the way DF captured the X1 version). Texture resolution looks the same to me. The differences just look like added fake detail from the post sharpening and different ground textures, whereas the PS4 version has noticeably less aliasing.

It makes no sense for them to target 900p on PS4 and reduce image quality, especially when the PS4 version had HBAO and a smoother framerate in that build, whereas the X1 version lacked any form of AO.

I'm holding my final judgement until proper captures are posted.

agreed.

This doesn't seem to be the result of a compromise you would be thinking of. this is probably the result of a number of things, one of them being the possible head room performance differences at their native resolutions.

picking a lower resolution will always allow more flexibility to do other features, and picking lower settings will always allow you to render at higher native resolutions. If you're asking for the same settings you would be asking for console parity.

Nonsense, the textures are clearly all the same resolution, you are zoomed in nearly enough to see individual pixels. What you are debating is the content of the texture, i.e. the 2D image associated with that 3D surface. Again, it looks to be different or covered up by some buggy water texture.

Having more or less 2D pebbles in the said texture is not going to change the performance. I could use a solid white texture with the same resolution, which has zero "detail" and the performance would be identical.

Can anybody explain this?

This is from the first B4 video.

Since I had no ideal what precedes this scene, I thought it might be player induced or dependent. Or pre-patch. But the fire is subdued compared to the xb1

It's not player induced. That cutscene follows the collapse of the building. There's fire everywhere and you have to get into the SUV and get out of the area.

It's not player induced. That cutscene follows the collapse of the building. There's fire everywhere and you have to get into the SUV and get out of the area.

Why is amount of fire so different between consoles. The difference in effect is far more obvious then pepple counting. LOL

Nonsense, the textures are clearly all the same resolution, you are zoomed in nearly enough to see individual pixels. What you are debating is the content of the texture, i.e. the 2D image associated with that 3D surface. Again, it looks to be different or covered up by some buggy water texture.

Having more or less 2D pebbles in the said texture is not going to change the performance. I could use a solid white texture with the same resolution, which has zero "detail" and the performance would be identical.

Looking at the shots again, the ground textures are mapped differently. if you say they're the same size with one obstructed, that could be the case. from what i keep seeing, there is much more gravel being exposed in visible spaces. (do to the rotation of the texture.)

I will be examining the PC version later on to see what the console counterparts would translate to in settings.

from what i keep seeing, there is much more gravel being exposed in visible spaces. (do to the rotation of the texture.)

That is my point about the content of the texture. There is no such optimization that erases data from an image. For an example, if I take a family portrait in a house in TLoU or some game and there are five family member and then swap in an image (texture) of the same size with three people, what was accomplished? Did I optimize anything?

That is my point about the content of the texture. There is no such optimization that erases data from an image. For an example, if I take a family portrait in a house in TLoU or some game and there are five family member and then swap in an image (texture) of the same size with three people, what was accomplished? Did I optimize anything?

Actually you did, think about texture compression :D

^Good find. Personally, I'm avoiding all comparisons until a proper one is done of the RETAIL versions. It was probably just a bug in the other shots.

Back