*split* multiplatform console-world problems + Image Quality Debate

That would be the power of suggestion. The multiplayer had more slowdown according to some reviews, and Quaz said the multiplayer footage he checked was 1080p.

So single player and multiplayer will have a more unstable framerate on PS4 now, or will that be patched too?
Quaz51 never ever failed at getting actual resolutions right, he has an unblemished track record. I knew he was right.

However, if IW did this deliberately, why letting the multiplayer run at 1080p?

This also serves as an example about what is good journalism and bad journalism.

I read a review on a website where they used the same words for both consoles and just added a couple of lines in the Xbox One review saying that the game looked much much worse and it lacked technical effects on the Xone compared to the PS4 version. :p

They were actually reviewing the same resolution and hence the same effects, or IQ. Yet they said that the game looked a lot more crisper on the PS4 just because IW had publicly shared the resolution of the game in both consoles, not because they believed this was true.

Polygon rules.

If they have multiple configs on that same floor, it's possible that some reviewers had a chance to look at different setup (with or without knowing what's going on).

Depends on what Polygon played, did they play SP or MP or both?

If any review site played the PS4 MP they played in 1080P and thus it would look different, if they played both then I guess it depends on what they played last or when they took note of the visuals.

Anyone who only played SP and made a comment about the graphics difference are the ones who are just parroting numbers.

Polygon played both SP and MP AFAIK, so they can't tell the difference either way. The difference between 720p scaled and native 1080p should be noticeable. Some journalists might have judged more on the MP side, which was in fact 1080p.

Lol, I already called it in the PC thread that the PC version looked a lot sharper than the PS4 version in DF's side by side comparison while under the impression both were running at 1080p. I put it down to much better AA in the PC version at the time. So much for resolution differences not being noticable.

Polygon played both SP and MP AFAIK, so they can't tell the difference either way. The difference between 720p scaled and native 1080p should be noticeable. Some journalists might have judged more on the MP side, which was in fact 1080p.

Not sure about the others, but Polygon were basing their graphic comparisons on multiplayer though.

The polygon reviewer basically said the two version looked identical. He or she said the ps4 version might be sharper but it might be his imagination (due to the confirmed resolution difference) but had no confidence in his ability to tell the two apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which illustrates their dishonesty or incompetence.
I think that's not totally fair to them and imo they did a good job. Perhaps they weren't very observational during MP matches, but they certainly played the entire campaign and all their footage in the video comes from the PS4 version of the game.

They have a whole set of paragraphs talking about the mp, the campaign and the new aliens mode.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/5/5052646/call-of-duty-ghosts-review

Paraphrasing them, this might explain why they couldn't discern much of a difference, something that no reviewer -afaik- had pointed out before.

While the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts has been confirmed by Activision to run at a lower resolution than its PS4 counterpart (720p upscaled vs. 1080p native, respectively), that numerical difference is less meaningful than you might imagine.

The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference.

The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.
This paragraph -below- is where I should agree they weren't as accurate because this shows they played the MP intensively and the technical differences should be more noticeable.

However, this part also gives another hint at the fact that they just wrote what they genuinely thought and that those drops might be due to the game running at 1080p, not fully optimised -IW admitted themselves that releasing the game for 6 platforms wasn't a wise idea.

The Xbox One release's framerate was far more noticeable. As mentioned in the initial review, Call of Duty: Ghosts suffers from consistent framerate drops on the PS4, especially during multiplayer when action got especially hectic. The Xbox One version suffered no such drops, maintaining a steady 60 frames per second throughout.

For a multiplayer shooter, framerate consistency is paramount. Given its relative visual parity with the PS4 release, Call of Duty: Ghosts is a more playable, slightly superior (albeit disappointing) game on Xbox One.
We could add another twist to the story. What if IW heard about people complaining about framerate issues on the PS4 version and decided to drop the resolution in SP to get better scores before increasing the resolution again to the original 1080p til there is no mud in the water?

Lol, I already called it in the PC thread that the PC version looked a lot sharper than the PS4 version in DF's side by side comparison while under the impression both were running at 1080p. I put it down to much better AA in the PC version at the time. So much for resolution differences not being noticable.

Wouldn't that be "So much for resolution differences being noticeable".

The polygon reviewer basically said the two version looked identical. He or she said the ps4 version might be sharper but it might be his imagination (due to the confirmed resolution difference) but had no confidence in his ability to tell the two apart.
They also have shown they have an eye for detail, something other reviewers can't say because they just wrote the Xbox One version off because IW said that one runs at 1080p and the other runs at 720p.

Those reviewers are most likely hiding under a rock, now that the details about the conditions in which the reviews have been written are known.

Your defense is admirable and well placed, but everyone that has been following next gen knows about their bias. The Gies twitter drama, their reviews, their next gen coverage, their endowment from MS, the list goes on and on. I would not trust them for anything at this point.

As bad as most mainstream game coverage is, it is typically just incompetence, not malice.

Your defense is admirable and well placed, but everyone that has been following next gen knows about their bias. The Gies twitter drama, their reviews, their next gen coverage, their endowment from MS, the list goes on and on. I would not trust them for anything at this point.

As bad as most mainstream game coverage is, it is typically just incompetence, not malice.
Heard about that just today, since I haven't been following them enough. I will try to follow them more from now on though.... while I can't say the same about other so called journalists whose fate is sealed for me and I don't find the motivation to read their reviews.

I can't get over the fact that they write some things for the sake of it, but don't know about the truth.

I don't want to drown my sorrows about journalism in you, I will just say that video gaming journalism still has long ways to go. Just sayin'

Cheers

don't see the problem , a patch was announced to enable 1080p on the ps4.

My only question is if the xbox one will also get a patch on launch day

*ahem* Can we at least stay on topic? IE: Gaming Journalism press bias doesn't belong even in this garbage thread.

Back