*split* multiplatform console-world problems + Image Quality Debate

It shouldn't be a foreign concept to them but esram has about half the bandwidth of the edram maybe that's causing issues.

It shouldn't be a foreign concept to them but esram has about half the bandwidth of the edram maybe that's causing issues.

Thats bandwidth between the internal logic and memory of eDRAM. eDRAM to GPU bandwidth is 32 GBs.

I imagine porting the PS4 version is much easier than porting the 360 version as you can essentially ignore eSRAM and simply use a lower resolution since core arch is the same.

This all reflects well on the state of gaming journalism.

They can't capture video correctly, can't tell one res from another and repeat like an echo chamber.

No quite the opposite. Its 1080p native the console must have been set to output at 720p.

Why? Maybe to hide the frame rate issue or an over sight or incompetence by those attempting the capture

Just to add to what dobwal said....

I think ERP explained months ago that the numbers of the internal bandwidth are very different than years ago.

The bandwidth of the X360's EDRAM -the 256GB/s part at least- is meant for AA and the z-buffer operations.

Until I have the Xbox One in my hands I am effectively running 90%+ of my games at 720p upscaled to a native 1080p display, and many of them look absolutely gorgeous.

I am not used to 1080p though, save a few games, but I wouldn't complain if some games of the next generation ran at 720p with a lot of extra detail in other areas.

No quite the opposite. Its 1080p native the console must have been set to output at 720p.

Why? Maybe to hide the frame rate issue or an over sight or incompetence by those attempting the capture

Wrong. The PS4 footage is native 720p in single-player (1080p in multiplayer). This is according to Quaz51 at NeoGAF, based on pixel counts of various videos out there, including IGN's PS4/Xbox One comparison video.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89658985&postcount=297

You have no idea what the console was set to. I imagine if it was set to 720p it would output at that resolution. Infinity Ward are still saying its 1080p in both modes even with quaz's evidence.

As I said previously if the ps4 is set to output 720p I doubt the game will be 1080 native and down scaled it would output at 720 and appear to be 720 native.

Wrong. The PS4 footage is native 720p in single-player (1080p in multiplayer). This is according to Quaz51 at NeoGAF, based on pixel counts of various videos out there, including IGN's PS4/Xbox One comparison video.

Then that means Activision, Infinity Ward, Sony, and IGN etc are all lying about the native resolution on the PS4. Or Quaz51 has got his numbers wrong or is using none native captured video for pixel counting.

Is this the same Quaz51 that did a lot of the initial PS360 pixel counts here on B3D? If so, I'd be surprised if he got it wrong or if he has an agenda.

The other parties . . . . ?

FWIW, that's his analysis based on the few videos out there. He says they're not definitive and says to wait for the retail games with true captures.
Whether it is true or not in the end, colour me surprised. Everyone has been very candid about the actual resolutions of next gen games, and if the rumours are true it just goes to show that IW told half the truth. Still shocking though, I had assumed it.

The internet could collapse and some people might be crying a river right now.

Whether it is true or not, Quaz51 never missed the true resolution of a game. Either that or the game runs at 720p if you set the console at 720p and they forgot to select a different resolution.

On the Xbox 360 this never happened for the most part, if you set the console to 720p and the game renders natively at 1080p, the game will run at its native resolution whether the console is set to 720p or another resolution.

So I find it odd that Sony still uses that approach.

Someone wrote this on the Polygon review. Either they have very keen eyes -my hats off to them if that is true- or something has happened.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/5/5052646/call-of-duty-ghosts-review

While the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts has been confirmed by Activision to run at a lower resolution than its PS4 counterpart (720p upscaled vs. 1080p native, respectively), that numerical difference is less meaningful than you might imagine.

The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference.

The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.

The Xbox One release's framerate was far more noticeable. As mentioned in the initial review, Call of Duty: Ghosts suffers from consistent framerate drops on the PS4, especially during multiplayer when action got especially hectic. The Xbox One version suffered no such drops, maintaining a steady 60 frames per second throughout.

For a multiplayer shooter, framerate consistency is paramount. Given its relative visual parity with the PS4 release, Call of Duty: Ghosts is a more playable, slightly superior (albeit disappointing) game on Xbox One.
One of the paragraphs above might explain that the multiplayer is 1080p because it does have an effect on the framerate.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...all-of-duty-ghosts-single-player-1080p-on-ps4

Activision will issue a day one patch for the PlayStation 4 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts that improves the native resolution of the single-player campaign, Eurogamer can exclusively reveal.

The patch makes the campaign output at a native 1080p resolution. Without it, the campaign outputs at 720p.

Eurogamer has since learned that a day one patch will be released to address the problem, which Activision is blaming on a "configuration issue".

"Call of Duty: Ghosts runs natively at 1080p on the PlayStation 4," an Activision spokesperson told Eurogamer this evening.

"There was a configuration issue in the retail version on single-player mode only. This has been addressed with a day one software update. People will be able to download the day one update when PlayStation 4 launches in their territory and play at native 1080p."

Without the day one update, you'll get the COD single-player upscaled, including the menu system and the HUD. Indeed, even the occasional screen-tear generated by the game is upscaled from 720p.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...all-of-duty-ghosts-single-player-1080p-on-ps4

IW misconfigured the PS4 client - which gave reviewers the impression that the XB1 and PS4 versions were more similar than they should have been, and then failed to inform the reviewers of the fact that they'd screwed it up and let several reviews appear that were based on total nonsense.

A cynical person might think that this state of affairs would suit Activision, due to the CoD-Xbox agreement.

MS must be threatening to spit their dummy and take their toys home :LOL:

Definitely smells a little ripe though, all the previews run at 1080p but when it gets around to the actual reviews they 'accidently' change the configuration to use 720p and then 'forget' to swap it back or inform the reviewers...

The patch explains it, still doesn't explain why people swear by how the PS4 Ghost looks a lot better when it's not even 1080p ;-)

The patch explains it, still doesn't explain why people swear by how the PS4 Ghost looks a lot better when it's not even 1080p ;-)

Presumably the ones who got the 720p config said they couldn't tell. Those who got 1080p said they could spot the differences.

There were also varying reports on framerate.

The patch should address this mess, I hope. :)

That would be the power of suggestion. The multiplayer had more slowdown according to some reviews, and Quaz said the multiplayer footage he checked was 1080p.

So single player and multiplayer will have a more unstable framerate on PS4 now, or will that be patched too?

Back