Kasdan replaces Little Miss Sunshine script writer for Ep. VII

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
The world's reaction? F**K YEAH!

Seriously. How could they have hired that guy in the first place? Maybe now, this movie will actually be something to look forward to and worth watching. With Larry Kasdan on-board, I'm like 1000% more confident in the project's chance of success. If only he'd been the one to write the scripts for eps 1-3...

Shit, in another couple years he probably could... With the quality of CG these days they could totally retcon the entire pre-ANH timeline and keep the actors looking the same way they do in the movies. :D (Well, one could always hope.)

Yes but with J.J. Abrams and Roger Guyett involved, will it end up a lens flare laden mess?

Were there a lot of lensflares in Super8? Haven't seen the movie (would like to though), but I don't think there was...

I have this theory that Abrams has some kind of ocular issue which means that he sees lens flares everywhere. His films obviously reflect this... :)

Wow, I'll have to watch it again and compare to Into Darkness

Into Darkness had much less flares compared to the original.

Anyhow, flares isn't part of the Star Wars visual language, even with all the (largely CGI) shine in the prequels I can't recall there being any extreme overabundance of lens flares. I'm sure there's examples, but likely mostly from when you'd expect it, like weapon blasts, engine exhausts, headlights and such.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery

Now he needs to start attending meetings of Lens Flare Anonymous. 90 meetings in 90 days.

John Carmack said it best, when he denounced the heavy use of post-process effects in modern game titles that obscures the true beauty of the actual game design... or hides the lack of creativity.

Some games are pushing way too hard for the "cinematic" look, exactly mimicking the ongoing trend in the blockbuster Hollywood flicks, reinforcing a perception of what is cool and acceptable style.

One of the early ILM guys had a recent interview where he too talked about the over-reliance and -use of CGI these days, how it used to be special and really stood out and now has become so common and mundane that most audience viewers don't notice or appreciate it.

The thing which really disturbs me with CGI these days is when it is used to make regular people able to perform impossible stunts. It just looks stupid when heroes or badguys - for example - swing through the air, fly 15 meters and land in ways that reasonably should have either pulverized a large portion of their skeletons or outright killed them. It's made worse those times you actually notice it's CGI, because it wasn't well-made enough to properly blur the lines between reality and fakery.

Into Darkness had much less flares compared to the original.

Anyhow, flares isn't part of the Star Wars visual language, even with all the (largely CGI) shine in the prequels I can't recall there being any extreme overabundance of lens flares. I'm sure there's examples, but likely mostly from when you'd expect it, like weapon blasts, engine exhausts, headlights and such.

Well I guess the lens flare would depend on the lens used in Ep. 4:) Abrams said of the lens flare that he loved the look of anamorphic lenses and their flare. He used it to give his films dat summer blockbuster feel. He might try to match the original Star Wars on a flare to flare basis.:D

Kasdan working on the thing does certainly seem to be a big step in the right direction. He wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark as well as the best Star Wars movie ... I sure hope it comes off well since there is a lot riding on this final trilogy or however long they can milk it ;-)

The thing which really disturbs me with CGI these days is when it is used to make regular people able to perform impossible stunts. It just looks stupid when heroes or badguys - for example - swing through the air, fly 15 meters and land in ways that reasonably should have either pulverized a large portion of their skeletons or outright killed them. It's made worse those times you actually notice it's CGI, because it wasn't well-made enough to properly blur the lines between reality and fakery.

The very worst film to do this was King Kong. Just preposterous from beginning to end. The bit where the heroine survives the attack by a couple of T-Rex whilst being tossed around by Kong irritated me no end.

It is more acceptable in the superhero movies, as you can allow some leeway in their abilities but even there 'standard' humans tend to survive impossible situations unscathed. Iron Man would be little more than pulp inside the suit with the impacts he suffers. Similarly, the Black Widow and Hawkeye in The Avengers movie would undoubtedly have been pulverised a number of times as well.

As far as I can see it's just the Abrams show now ... Arndt for his faults has some political sway due to his recent successes. Kasdan has none (unless he's willing to burn bridges) and seems to me to be destined to be little more than a PR sign for the fans while Abrams pens his movie.

As far as I can see it's just the Abrams show now ... Arndt for his faults has some political sway due to his recent successes. Kasdan has none (unless he's willing to burn bridges) and seems to me to be destined to be little more than a PR sign for the fans while Abrams pens his movie.

Well, as long as they keep Damon Lindelof away I'm not that concerned. :)

The very worst film to do this was King Kong. Just preposterous from beginning to end. The bit where the heroine survives the attack by a couple of T-Rex whilst being tossed around by Kong irritated me no end.

It is more acceptable in the superhero movies, as you can allow some leeway in their abilities but even there 'standard' humans tend to survive impossible situations unscathed. Iron Man would be little more than pulp inside the suit with the impacts he suffers. Similarly, the Black Widow and Hawkeye in The Avengers movie would undoubtedly have been pulverised a number of times as well.

Well when it comes to Iron Man you could get away with saying that the repulser tech could be repurposed to absorb the or redirect the kinetic energy of the impact and whatever the hell the suit is made of. In general however Stark gets knocked around quite a bit in the 3rd one along with all of the lab hijinx that should have given more than a few broken bones. At least Iron Man had a decent power source which just about every other SF film does not have ( Terminator 3 being an odd exception ). Super heros with insane strength or speed would need insane amounts of food to power their feats unless they are alien or powered by magic.

King Kong ... taking an ape skeleton and just increasing it's size by a magnitude would leave the thing unable to walk let alone deftly keep the heroine from being turned into human marmalade.... ah too much thinking and not enough fun :D

Well, as long as they keep Damon Lindelof away I'm not that concerned. :)
I wouldn't count on it, I think it's highly likely he will be an uncredited writer ... and Kasdan a credited non-writer. It's the Abrams show now and Lindelof comes with Abrams.

This is what struck me with The Hobbit (which I've seen on a PC), the entire party survives 20 or 50 meter falls and they get attacked by giant dogs all the time. Real giant dogs would have been able to chop limbs off with a single bite and otherwise make a big mess of those dwarves.
.. yea I know I'm complaining about an obvious fantasy film :)

Back