3D SsTcEoRpEiOc GAMES A comprehensive list; [PS3,PS4,XO,X360,WU,3DS]

Can you run tri-def and 3dtv play simultaneously on the same system? My conclusions about 3dtv play match yours with regards to resolution but Ive never tried tri-def.

You can, just disable stereoscopy using the checkbox in the nVidia control panel before running a game with Tri-Def. What makes it a bit simpler is that you can only run games with Tri-Def from their 'Ignition' software (basically a game launcher), so as long as you've disabled 3Dvision before launching a game in this way then you're good.

Tri-Def has a 14 day free trial, so no reason not to give it a go. What display are you using? Bear in mind I've only used it in the last few days because I knew you could select SBS or TB modes manually on my new toy. I've no idea how well suited it is to a 120hz monitor that doesn't have those options.

One thing that did come of all this is my 3D Vision monitor seems to have a corrupted EDID at the same time I installed the projector.., so no 3D gaming at all for me until that gets sorted or I get replacement DLP link glasses. The point being that I can't try Tri-Def on my 120hz 3Dvision monitor at the moment to see what it's like.

Cheers, I've got a 3D Vision monitor and a 50" active 3DTV. So I was more interested in how Tridef performs on the TV as I've never been over impressed with 3dtv play in relation to 3D Vision. It does however have the advantages of much better performance and compatibility with some games that 3Dvision lacks.

I take it you mean performance is better because the resolution is lower?

The game compatibility thing has me stumped though; not sure why that would be any different between 3DVision and 3DTVPlay. As far as I know the driver does the same trick to grab the stereo information no matter what format it ends up chucking it out as.

I take it you mean performance is better because the resolution is lower?

The game compatibility thing has me stumped though; not sure why that would be any different between 3DVision and 3DTVPlay. As far as I know the driver does the same trick to grab the stereo information no matter what format it ends up chucking it out as.

Nope framerates are double across the board with 3DTV as opposed to 3D Vision. I don't know the low level details but they must be using different methods to produce the 3D effect.

Or put another way, I see no reduction in framerates from 2D when using 3DTV but with 3D vision framerates always halve. This is when measuring at the same resolution (720p).

The different methods being used must be what account for the compatibility differences. Need for Speed Most Wanted for example works fine on 3DTV but shadows and lights are messed up in 3D Vision.

That's insane.

What model is your TV? I have to assume that it's doing interlacing or half and half, which halves the resolution. No way can you render 2x the pixels at the same performance, unless... you're getting vsync locked to the same framerates?

What display are you using for 3DVision that you'd play in 720p? Surely you'd be playing in 1080p on that one. You sure you accounted for that? Sorry, I'm baffled and clutching at straws.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's insane.

What model is your TV?

I'm not sure of the exact model but it's a 50" LG with active 3D at (I think) 600hz.

I have to assume that it's doing interlacing or half and half, which halves the resolution.

Perhaps, although the signal that comes through to the TV from the PC isn't in the half/half format in as much as it requires me to specifically set that setting on the TV. It just comes through "fuzzy" and looks 3D with the glasses on.

No way can you render 2x the pixels at the same performance,

Agreed, I always assumed it was using some kind of reprojection or depth buffer trick like Crysis 2 (which also doesn't drop frames in 3D).

unless... you're getting vsync locked to the same framerates?

Nope these are definately real framerates with vsync disabled.

What display are you using for 3DVision that you'd play in 720p? Surely you'd be playing in 1080p on that one. You sure you accounted for that? Sorry, I'm baffled and clutching at straws.

I usally play at 1080p on the monitor but for pure testing purposes I'd set both to 720p since you can't get more than 30fps on the TV at 1080p.

To give you a specific example, in Assassins Creed Revelations which is something I tested quite a bit I would run in 2d on the monitor and get say 50-60fps in a specific (heavy) scene. I'd then turn on 3D Vision and watch it drop to 25-30fps. This is all in 720p. If I then switch over to the TV again running at 720p, with 3DTV Play activated I'll still be running at 50-60fps. The 3D effect itself though is quite different and definitely a big step below 3D Vision.

PS4 3D GAMES:
Assassin’s Creed IV
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Trine 2
I got my copy of AC4 today (PS4 version), and there's no mention on the box of 3D support. I'll be looking for it on Friday once I get a chance to actually play it, of course, but it's not looking good. I'm starting to think the listing of the game as 3D capable in the store was a mix-up.

Is that a hdmi limitation ? have you tried dvi ?

Yes it's a HDMI limitation (although the very latest spec resolves it I think). I think it's also a DVI limitation. I know for sure at least that I need a dual link DVI on my monitor to hit 1080p @120fps. I don't have any kind of DVI input on my TV though.

The HDMI 1.4a spec is 1080p @ 60hz for 2D content, and 1080p @ 24hz for 3D. It is profoundly dissapointing considering I've been using dual link DVI to get 1080p @ 120hz for 2D and 1080p @ 60hz for 3D for years.

To address the fish who commented the last time I moaned about it, yes of course it's a bandwidth limitation, but these bandwidth limitations were part of the design - a design which didn't take the use-case of 3D gaming into much account.

I got my copy of AC4 today (PS4 version), and there's no mention on the box of 3D support. I'll be looking for it on Friday once I get a chance to actually play it, of course, but it's not looking good. I'm starting to think the listing of the game as 3D capable in the store was a mix-up.
I shall modify the first message if what you mention is true in the end. :cry:

I hope it isn't, because 3D support was one of the two major reasons I pre-ordered AC4 for the Xbox One. The other being that my best friend is a fan of the series. She really loves the AC series.

Weren't for that two reasons, it's not a franchise I ever played so I was quite immunised to the hype.

I am going to ask RenegadeRocks if Call of Duty is 3D capable. Afaik, he has the PS3 version, but CoD:BOII supported it.

I shall modify the first message if what you mention is true in the end. :cry:

I hope it isn't, because 3D support was one of the two major reasons I pre-ordered AC4 for the Xbox One.
No joy. :(

No mention of 3D in any of the startup messages (they usually have warnings) and nothing at all in the menus or video options, no way to activate 3D.

So I guess that leaves Trine 2 as only confirmed 3D launch title. I haven't tried it yet, probably won't get to that one 'til tomorrow.

No joy. :(

No mention of 3D in any of the startup messages (they usually have warnings) and nothing at all in the menus or video options, no way to activate 3D.

So I guess that leaves Trine 2 as only confirmed 3D launch title. I haven't tried it yet, probably won't get to that one 'til tomorrow.
Bummer. My order hasn't been dispatched but it was my first pre-order that I had to actually pay with Paypal. There is no way I can cancel it now

I was actually surprised that AC3 supports 3D on PS3 (just happened to try it yesterday on PS3 on the new TV). Not thrilled about testing it though, it just barely runs well enough now as it is.

I was initiating a few friends into the world of 3d gaming last night with a bit of Super Street Fighter 4. They where most impressed.

kind of offtopic, but I thought PS4 did not support 3D movies at launch?
Maybe it doesn't support 3d altogether at the moment. Which would be a shame because it's really immersive and all tv's support it anyway..

Back