Rate the "nextgeness" of upcoming titles on a scale from 1 to 10

So thats a new metric "nextgeness"

Yes...reason being technical buzzwords do not convey how nextgen a game looks. You could have a game running at 4K resolution using deferred rendering and not look nextgen. You could have a game running at 720P using forward rendering and look completely nextgen. It's more biased toward graphics of course because it's based on visuals.

I guess we are just supposed to rate the next gen games according to our liking?

No, you're overthinking it man. You're trying to find a reason, there is none. You don't need to like or understand something to see that it looks more/less nextgen. Just rate the upcoming games on how nextgen they look without trying to rationalize why it looks the way it does. Some games look more/less nextgen so give them a number according to where they rank in your honest/unbiased opinion. Think you could handle that? Nobody seems to have gotten butt hurt so far...will you be the first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes...reason being technical buzzwords do not convey how nextgen a game looks. You could have a game running at 4K resolution using deferred rendering and not look nextgen. You could have a game running at 720P using forward rendering and look completely nextgen. It's more biased toward graphics though because it's based on visuals.

No, you're overthinking it man. You're trying to find a reason, there is none. You don't need to like or understand something to see that it looks more/less nextgen. Just rate the upcoming games on how nextgen they look without trying to rationalize why it looks the way it does. Some games look more/less nextgen so give them a number according to where they rank in your honest/unbiased opinion. Think you could handle that? Nobody seems to have gotten butt hurt so far...will you be the first?

I am not "butt hurt" at all :p . What else is "nextgeness" then, if not what you like in the current selection of games? Its just funny that we are supposed to rate games on no parameters at all, not even on our own liking, not on how they look, not on technicalities, not on gameplay. I guess this is a true abstract thread, if I have ever seen one.

I think we already have "what games are we getting on launch " thread, which pretty much tells us what we like best in the upcoming games. If at all we need a discussion, we need an open discussion on all the engines and what they are doing new in the next gen.

Anyways, Have fun ! Who am I to question anything? I just expressed my amusement at it.

It happens once every 8 years.

Will be interesting to see what become of b3d this time.

Looks like I missed it last time :p . Time to stick to reading and not commenting then.

Most people posting in this thread understand the very simple premise....sorry you're the odd man out...

Too many variables to rank really. How new is the build? did you play it on a calibrated TV or watch a YouTube video? Did you watch a part the devs want you to see, mostly cut scenes? We need to play these games at home, and DF breakdowns will be handy assuming they keep from editorializing.

I guess a direct feed video of the latest build my be useful, but not many of those.
I've decided to take the plunge and say what looks most next gen to me for now. I'd say Quantum Break, Ryse and The Order, in no particular order.

Forza 5 textures and materials are very next gen too, especially considering it runs at 1080p, but overall those look better. I expect great fraphics from KZ: SF too, but I will wait for DF articles in this case.

Quite all games so far I've seen look next gen to me....next gen in the sense of PC gaming quality this gen :)

Nothing at the moment strikes me as particular next gen with new never before seen tec...as most of this can already be played on PC, with maybe even higher quality.

So in conclusion...there is still no next gen game in sight that gets me really excited with respect to graphics...but there are lots of them that look super good to my eyes (in no particular order): KZ SF, Ryse, Infamous SS, BF4, The Order: 1886 and a few others I miss...

Of all the nextgen media I've seen, absolutely non tops this.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/205/6/2/1_by_anomally-d6evxyy.gif
You see many next gen games do a few things really well here and there but non does so many good things all together at this scale running at 1080p. This screams nextgen to me, not just one nice looking main character model but the entirety of it. The Witcher 3 is on the same level though.
So based on all the available footage released to the public, here's my listing.
Uber tier: The Dark Sorcerer (since QD's game always looked far better than the tech demo)
10: KZ SF, The Witcher 3
9: The Order 1886
8: Division, Ryse, BF4, Infamous SS, MGSV
7: Watch Dogs, Deep Down, AC4
Of course things could easily change once I played all of them or seen more of them.

Of all the nextgen media I've seen, absolutely non tops this.
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/205/6/2/1_by_anomally-d6evxyy.gif
You see many next gen games do a few things really well here and there but non does so many good things all together at this scale running at 1080p. This screams nextgen to me, not just one nice looking main character model but the entirety of it.

Going to burst your bubble there, but the majority of that scene's background is probably just camera synced and rendered offline in an offline renderer. Just like how movies "cheat" with matte paintings and 2D plates, cutscenes are now doing so with offline renders and matte-enhanced backgrounds.

Going to burst your bubble there, but the majority of that scene's background is probably just camera synced and rendered offline in an offline renderer. Just like how movies "cheat" with matte paintings and 2D plates, cutscenes are now doing so with offline renders and matte-enhanced backgrounds.

Haha you ain't bursting no one's bubble today. Everyone has seen this by now and know it's all realtime.
At 19:30 mark.

The Dark Sorcerer and KZSF interactive walkthrough + flyover tools need to be on the PS4 demo-station. Impressive stuff.

Haha you ain't bursting no one's bubble today. Everyone has seen this by now and know it's all realtime.
At 19:30 mark.

Didn't you just prove my point? The city is loaded in-engine, but the amount of buildings rendered in the wireframe only really tend to mid-ground of the scene- the bigger buildings are real and in LOD (the escape scene). Guerilla loves their mattes and projection mapping, and you'd have seen much of it in earlier Killzones.

That's a pretty cool technique for games given the amazing results and reduced processing requirement. It looks fantastic.

The buildings are roughly within the first/lower half of the screen when you're completely outside. There's not many complex structure towards the sea. But when you flyover from inside the building and look out, it's cool to see the entire "world" comes into view.

If the presenter turned right and continued, he should hit the tall wall and waterfalls. Somewhere further down, it's the forest level right beside the wall.

I wouldn't mind flying over the city just like a Lair game for kicks.

That's a pretty cool technique for games given the amazing results and reduced processing requirement. It looks fantastic.

It is! Guerrilla's art dept seems to be thinking in a manner that's closer to CG studios than a traditional studio, so props to them.

But to generously call it next-genny based off the scale virtues of that gif/sequence, is kind of like calling Myst IV (2005) fit of being current/next gen. (Really underrated game with impeccable... vRay visuals ;))

That KZSF opening scene has more than low-poly buildings and fake background. ^_^

It was a continuous sequence from the air all the way to inside the building (to configure the player's loadout), similar to the flyover demo above but in reverse direction. A current gen version would have to cut the scene into different perspectives to save memory.

There are also huge waterfalls, and other jazz along the way, somewhat like the opening scene of Lair. A Lair player could swoop from mid-air to the ground in one continuous motion, but the ground enemies were all rather small in size (or low detail). In KZSF, when you have landed, the characters all have much higher poly because they stand that much closer to you. In Lair, we would also notice the aggressive LOD changing/"rippling" continuously all around the landscape. :)

Here's a comparison of KZSF vs KZ2 opening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StVaPnwhzG4

I still love KZ2 although the tech limitations stand out more today.

wasnt the flamethrower in return to castle wolfenstein volumetric ?

Bah... looks like powder. It's not whether the game has a bullet point, it's how the elements are implemented and integrated that makes a difference. In current gen, the SPU implementation of some graphics techniques was more interesting to watch (different results/look from GPU implementations).

Back