The game console living room fortress will not be breached by cellphones & tablets.

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
HDMI 2.0 supports 21:9 Aspect Ratio

Display manufactures have already begun making curved 16:9 OLED TVs. The next logical step is 21:9 curved.

This is a big win for console gamers. A surround display that will allow for a wide FOV (field of view) in first person shooters. Also a huge win for 2d side scrollers like Street Fighter 2.

A new golden dawn for living room displays is about to begin. Cellphones and Tablets are fine mobile devices but they will be outclassed by large 21:9 aspect ratio TVs. The living room fortress will not be breached.

Some monitors are now shipping with
Mobile High Definition Link
ps: you got a link to these curved screens ?

pps: will consoles support wide aspect ratio's or will they suffer the same problems as older pc games did with wide aspects
edit: forgot about the first line of your post.. will the new consoles have hdmi 2.0 ?

I've had a 2.35:1 setup since 2006 (cropped HD, it's about 21:9 ratio) and I wish games would support it, but it's really a niche, I'm not optimistic about this and I expect it to remain a niche for quite some time.
I expect to use cropped 4K for 2.35:1 films before any kind of official 2.35:1 support appear, which makes the idea of a "wider" 1080p kind of pointless.

Some monitors are now shipping with
Mobile High Definition Link
ps: you got a link to these curved screens ?

pps: will consoles support wide aspect ratio's or will they suffer the same problems as older pc games did with wide aspects
edit: forgot about the first line of your post.. will the new consoles have hdmi 2.0 ?

You should be able to with a Steam Machine.

That big Sony game is is 21:9 and the Evil Within as well.

Display manufactures have already begun making curved 16:9 OLED TVs. The next logical step is 21:9 curved.

This is a big win for console gamers. A surround display that will allow for a wide FOV (field of view) in first person shooters. Also a huge win for 2d side scrollers like Street Fighter 2.

A new golden dawn for living room displays is about to begin. Cellphones and Tablets are fine mobile devices but they will be outclassed by large 21:9 aspect ratio TVs. The living room fortress will not be breached.

Philips had 21:9 displays for a few years but stopped it last year.

Philips had 21:9 displays for a few years but stopped it last year.
I think they are going to follow suit in the future then. I have read an article about these new concave TVs the other day in a video gaming magazine, and they were presented as the HDTVs of the future at IFA 2013 in Berlin. Even so, the price is a letdown, 15000€... that's out of reach for many people.

I agree with the OP that these TVs could revitalise console gaming once again and maybe consoles are going to be the driving force of sales when they come out and they can be bought at a more reasonable price. Good times ahead....

I have found the article I had read the other day, which mentioned the names of the new TVs.

This is one of the TVs shown at IFA 2013. It's not curved but it is very expensive -the cheapest model costs 5000€ and the most expensive model costs 15000€-.

There was the Sony Bravia X9 -Triluminos image quality, which is full LED-, Panasonic Smart Viera WT600, Samsung S9, LG LA9650 -Nano Full LED-.

Now the curved models:

LG 55EA9800

9000€, :oops: OLED WRGB with THX certification.

lg_55ea9800.jpg

Samsung S9C

8000€

The article says that Samsung talked about the unique curved HDTV in the world with native UHD -4k, Ultra HD- support, but it is just a prototype by now, it will be shown at Las Vegas CES.

I don't understand curved TVs. In a typical family environment, people are sat all around the TV. A curved TV means less warping on the far side of the screen but more on the near side. A lineat screen is easier to correct in the mind. Curved screens appear to be just for lonely, rich bachelors who can sit in the very middle.

Curved screens appear to be just for lonely, rich bachelors who can sit in the very middle.
Aye. Curved screen = bullshit. Unless the screen is so wide it covers an entire wall several meters long there's neither need nor reason for curved screens. Also, you'd have to sit closer than the radial length of the curve of the screen to not percieve edge distortion even if you sit in the very middle, which is just double bullshit really.

They only make them curved because apparently it's easier to make a curved OLED screen than a totally flat screen.

21:9 isn't a logical step at all. The width of the tv will be what is limiting the tv size in most households so with 21:9 you will only get less screen real estate. You could also wonder if you really want to lose more height.

Why? In the majority of games most of the action is happening infront of you. I rather have 16:9 or 16:10 like on my pc so I can actually see what is up ahead. With your mouse you can easily check what is on your side. And again it's a matter of size. If your desk can't take a much bigger monitor than what you currently have you are only going to lose screen size with 21:9

Wouldn't have happened anyway as smartphones/tablet offer a very different gaming experience than consoles/pc.

I don't understand curved TVs. In a typical family environment, people are sat all around the TV. A curved TV means less warping on the far side of the screen but more on the near side. A lineat screen is easier to correct in the mind. Curved screens appear to be just for lonely, rich bachelors who can sit in the very middle.

2 words for you:
Gaming Man-caves.

Z6iM3RF.jpg

And you know you want it, sir.

A typical family sits together near the middle of the screen. For years Plasma had the best off-angle viewing...people could care less. If you have a decent surround speaker set for audio people want to be in the middle for the speakers to have their optimum effect.

A standard real IMAX screen is curved. Image Maximum = the need for a curve.

Displaying a 3d image on a flat 2d surface is less than ideal. Playing a 1st person shooter or driving a from cockpit view will feel more natural on a curved screen.

Why? In the majority of games most of the action is happening infront of you. I rather have 16:9 or 16:10 like on my pc so I can actually see what is up ahead. With your mouse you can easily check what is on your side. And again it's a matter of size. If your desk can't take a much bigger monitor than what you currently have you are only going to lose screen size with 21:9

With a flat 16:9 display light from the is moving in straight lines.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

With a curved screen more light is going to hit your eyes. Hence you see more.

\\\\\\\|||||||||||||||||||///////

A typical family sits together near the middle of the screen.
A family of 2, maybe. Anyone with more than just a sofa cannot accommodate everyone near the centre of the screen. If you're going by personal observation, in the US, rooms are typically much larger and people can fit further back, fitting more central to the screen. That's not the case in Europe. I'll find myself as much as maybe 35-40 degrees off to the side of the TV in some homes. The angle is very obvious, but the brain filters it out. A curved screen would be unwatchable in those places.

My wife will bury me if I bought such a big TV, curve or no curve. At that size, I would rather go projector (if I bother at all).

The curved OLEDs are not being accepted well.

People are waiting for prices to come down and for flat screen OLEDs.

It's not going to be curved screens that saves console gaming.

Back